Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted a trailer to haul a motorcycle now and again. First thing I discovered -- they are EXPENSIVE! But, I found a nearby jet-ski dealer with lots of used jet-ski trailers for sale, so I went and looked at them, picked out the roughest-looking, cheapest one, and went to work.

Removed all the rust and flaked paint, repainted with spray Rustoleum, added new tires, new lights, plywood deck, Northern Tool ramp and rail, tie-down points, non-skid tape (still need to add some to the deck), and voila! Single-bike hauler for about $450, maybe 20 hours of labor, plus maybe 40 hours of head-scratching...

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looks good! Nice job on fixing up that trailer, I would get a spare tire if you don't have one.

I brought a new trailer from a trailer company in Chattanooga a few years back, it was just under $1000. I added/mounted a front wheel chalk and a few tiedowns.

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted a trailer to haul a motorcycle now and again. First thing I discovered -- they are EXPENSIVE! But, I found a nearby jet-ski dealer with lots of used jet-ski trailers for sale, so I went and looked at them, picked out the roughest-looking, cheapest one, and went to work.

Removed all the rust and flaked paint, repainted with spray Rustoleum, added new tires, new lights, plywood deck, Northern Tool ramp and rail, tie-down points, non-skid tape (still need to add some to the deck), and voila! Single-bike hauler for about $450, maybe 20 hours of labor, plus maybe 40 hours of head-scratching...
You did a great job but I do have concerns. I've seen several YouTube videos of people trying to load a bike with ramps that have side panels that are supposed to keep you going straight but for whatever reason the person loses control and drops the bike. I much prefer a wide ramp the width of the trailer. It just makes things work better I feel. I hope it works out for you. Hope you don't mind me mentioning my concern.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>Looks good! Nice job on fixing up that trailer, I would get a spare tire if you don't have one.

Spare is on order and will be in next week. The least expensive utility trailer I could find in the area new was $750, used -- and I mean used like a rented mule -- $450. The labor was fun for me, and I ended up with "custom-built" for less than I would have had in even the used one.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You did a great job but I do have concerns. I've seen several YouTube videos of people trying to load a bike with ramps that have side panels that are supposed to keep you going straight but for whatever reason the person loses control and drops the bike. I much prefer a wide ramp the width of the trailer. It just makes things work better I feel. I hope it works out for you. Hope you don't mind me mentioning my concern.

Don't mind at all, as it was the same concern I had. But I have already tested it out by loading my "big bike", the Suzuki Boulevard, and it worked fine. I will, though, be adding more non-skid alongside the rail on the deck. Care and a bit of "technique" are required, and the added non-skid surface will make it much more comfortable, but I feel confident in my method.

·
Registered
781 Posts
One thing you didn't mention. Did you pull and check the wheel bearings? I know they are sealed, water tight, blah, blah, blah. But check the bearings. I've owned three boat trailers (with boats), and upon inspection, all three needed servicing. Not bad, but still.....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing you didn't mention. Did you pull and check the wheel bearings? I know they are sealed, water tight, blah, blah, blah. But check the bearings. I've owned three boat trailers (with boats), and upon inspection, all three needed servicing. Not bad, but still.....
Yessir, first thing I did. They looked good; in fact, I think it must have been the last maintenance he did before selling /trading it. They had Bearing Buddies installed, too, although the "bras" were missing. Replaced them after repacking the bearings.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Nicely done. Love to see things refurbished and re-used.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stay tuned! I am in the process of making a few refinements and modifications and will post pictures of the finished project within a day or two...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts