Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:surprise:

As a lot of you already know, I am 'PRO' Harley and a little biased because of my History with them and their products since I bought my 1991 Electra Glide, joined the Local 'HOG' chapter, ABATE, formed our own Family HD club and rode with my Friend's, all over principally the entire western United States, west of the mighty Mississippi. I also owned a 2005 Sportster 883 Roadster and a 2010 Buell 1125R Superbike and all were good clean fun:smile_big:

As soon as my CTX1300D sells, I am seriously considering/ maybe buying a new 2019 HD Electra Glide STD BUTT, after hearing about some minor problems on the 107 CI, Milwaukee 8 engine, I came across this YouTube video this morning and although it is long, it was worth watching, so I linked it for you, if you are interested:wink2:

Sam:crying:

[ame]https://youtu.be/NIgr414Nr0k?t=2[/ame]

·
Ace Tuner
3,494 Posts
Good video, makes you think.

Warranty? I've been on both sides of it.

Let me put it this way. I DON'T BUY NEW BIKES WITH A WARRANTY ANYMORE.

My experience with Harley warranty is a few decades old now so I got nothing on that other than to say that back then it was pretty much fair to both the service tech and the customer.

However, I do know this...
Beware of ALL aftermarket warranties as it relates to the Japanese machines. Your factory warranty might even be worthless, depending on the dealer.
Just sayin.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Dealership has a lot to do with how well Warranty is Honored .. In my experience Harley Davidson is pretty good Warranty Wise unless they have you dead to rights on doing something to truly Void it.. My Rule of Thumb with a Brand New Vehicle is give it at least 1 year/5,000 Miles before getting carried away trying to add things that might even want to change because didn't know your Ride Well enough .. That way will do far better if want to Trade it in for something else as well ..

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
All information I've found on this subject seems to be a negative for keeping the warranty when installing a hitch. The strain on the drive-train is what most seem to be concerned with and the amount of weight and balance the bike can handle. But I would be quite concerned with stopping without killing myself just as much, perhaps even more.

To those who insist on pulling a trailer with whatever weight, I'd be sure and have some bank on hand to cover cost when breakage occurs, your warranty may not be of value.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's odd that Honda will honor the warranty even if the hitch is installed along with other mods like trike kits and 3rd party options. I will agree while I pull a trailer myself this is a risky option just like towing a camper behind your pickup. Stopping can be a thrill at times.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Understandably a pickup truck with advertised towing capacity will honor a warranty (when doing that), but bikes, so far as I know, don’t have a similar provision – yeah t Honda if they honor… But, one of the things I like about Harley is I didn’t have to worry about a warranty, my Evo (except for electrics – electricity and I don’t like each-other) was beyond bullet-proof… If I have to worry about a dealership honoring a warranty claim (even if they are quick in honoring it), then that is a vehicle I’d rather not have – I don’t buy a bike to hang out at the dealership. On the other hand, most of my bikes are so old that the only warranty available is my own sweat…

-- Larry

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Understandably a pickup truck with advertised towing capacity will honor a warranty (when doing that), but bikes, so far as I know, don’t have a similar provision – yeah t Honda if they honor… But, one of the things I like about Harley is I didn’t have to worry about a warranty, my Evo (except for electrics – electricity and I don’t like each-other) was beyond bullet-proof… If I have to worry about a dealership honoring a warranty claim (even if they are quick in honoring it), then that is a vehicle I’d rather not have – I don’t buy a bike to hang out at the dealership. On the other hand, most of my bikes are so old that the only warranty available is my own sweat…

-- Larry

Some old Bikes if you know them well enough don't have to sweat the Warranty and make it the way you like it .. :) I enjoy not having an ECU trying to do everything for me which some of your newer Rides do .. If get a Engine Code Failure might not be anything more than a brief voltage spike or drop and then you get left stranded ..

·
American Legion Rider
25,919 Posts
Don't have to worry about it on my Indian either. But I'll admit, I have no idea what would happen with a warranty issue but my trailer hitch is right there and the dealer installed it. So what's that say?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts