Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of doing a valve adjustment on my 05 ninja 636 and i decided to do the spark plugs while i'm in there, glad I did. I noticed when trying to take the spark plug out of #1 cylinder that my socket would not seat on the plug, I pulled it out and this thing on the right was stuck in my spark plug socket. Looks like the internals of a previous spark plug as the one I took out was intact. Any ideas on how or why this could have happened?

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Just a guess, but most spark plug sockets have a rubber insert to grab and hold the plug, so it doesn't fall out when you pull the socket away from the head, and hold it for easier insertion of a new plug. I suspect the previous plug extracted was badly broken, and that end stuck in the insert.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Spark plug from #2 cylinder. Now i'm scratching my head, no way was this thing running on three cylinders. If that piece of metal I pulled out from cylinder #1 is not what was supposed to be in in #2 spark plug then I just dropped a piece of metal into my cylinder. Update: Well that piece of metal fits perfectly into the spark plug with the metal piece in it, gonna hope for the best. Is it possible #2 cylinder would've still fired with a broken spark plug like that? I would certainly assume not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The plug on the right is the broken one that was in #2, left is a good one. The other two look pretty much exactly like the left pug. The #2 plug is not as tan as the others around the electrode and the the piece that you gap is a bit darker than the other plugs.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
I don't believe there was anyway that plug was firing. The spark would have had to jump from the plug wire to the electrode. What you found in the socket was the electrical connector for the #2 plug.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i'm sure you're right, that's a very long jump. But how on earth could the electrical connector thing from #2 spark plug end up in #1 cylinder? Besides just total carelessness from whoever worked on this thing last. #1 cylinder is by far the hardest to access, frame is in the way maybe that had something to do with it? You can barely get the coil out.

I guess it was running on 3 cylinders, I almost cant believe it. It idled fine, sounded fine. This is the first 600cc sport bike I have ridden so I have nothing to compare the power to, bottom end was weak but above 8000 it felt plenty fast to me. This is going to bother me lol.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think the spark could jump the internal break in the core of #2. The core looks discolored at the bottom, like it would be if the plug had been arcing internally for a while. Most ignitions these days have enough energy to jump gaps of .050 to .080 or more. The core of the plug would be operating at atmospheric pressure, so a spark could jump further than it could inside the combustion chamber. #2 would just have had a somewhat weaker spark.

Jam the core back into the plug, lay #2 against the head, and find out if it sparks with a broken, (and now removed and re-inserted) core. I bet it will.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Now see, I thought that was what happened, that the core was pulled out while going from one plug to the other. So it was in the plug all along. That’s not the case???

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
It's a resister spark plug so it has a multi piece core. I don't see how that plug could have been firing at all without the top part at least sorta in place.
Are you sure the internals of that plug were not with the plug that was found headless ?
If it was running on three cylinders you will notice the difference when you get it banging on all four.

S F

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok this is what happened. I have owned this bike for a month this is my first time working on it. I went to take out #1 spark plug first, my socket wouldn't seat on the plug so I pulled out the socket and there was the core stuck in my spark plug socket. I then removed the spark plug from #1 and the core was in the #1 spark plug. So I had a core just stuck in the #1 spark plug tube with the coil installed. I then removed #2 spark plug and no core. So the core from #2 spark plug was in the #1 spark plug tube. I know that sounds unbelievable, im baffled as to how it got there.

TLDR. I started with #1 spark plug found a core in the tube, however #1 spark plug had it's core. I then went to #2 spark plug, it had no core. So the core from #2 spark plug was just rattling around in the #1 spark plug hole for god knows how long.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your top pic shows the plug on the left burning hotter than the other one. What do all the plugs look like. Maybe I should ask how many cylinders it has, because the highest number so far is 3.

UK
4 cylinder. The one on the right is the one with part of the core broken off, the other 2 look almost identical to the plug on the left.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you sure you didn't fit the wrench to the #2 plug first (but not try to remove it)?
Wow, I may be that dumb. I'm pretty sure I did put the socket in #2 when I was trying to figure out what extension to use. #1 is hard to get at with the frame so close, I had to drop the extension and socket in the tube before I attached my driver to clear the frame. Sorry to waste your time guys, man I feel stupid lol.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
TLDR. I started with #1 spark plug found a core in the tube, however #1 spark plug had it's core. I then went to #2 spark plug, it had no core. So the core from #2 spark plug was just rattling around in the #1 spark plug hole for god knows how long.
Well obviously the last guy that was in there screwed up pretty big then.
Be sure to let us know how it runs after it actually has four actual complete spark plugs to work with.

S F

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
You are not the first or last to snap a plug. They are getting harder to find, let alone remove.
Yours look lean enough to me. When it is back together, aim it up a steep hill, use fourth and or fifth, at about 5,000 turn it WOT and tell us what happens.

UK

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are not the first or last to snap a plug. They are getting harder to find, let alone remove.
Yours look lean enough to me. When it is back together, aim it up a steep hill, use fourth and or fifth, at about 5,000 turn it WOT and tell us what happens.

UK
Thanks. I will.

It did seem to bog at lower RPM if I gave it too much throttle. I definitely went near WOT at around 5000 on flat ground and it didn't seem to like it, it would accelerate faster when I rolled onto the throttle more gradually.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Now it makes sense. So as I thought, it probably was working but not like it should. The plug would have been wet if not working at all. So buy a new one and stick it in there and try to forget about this until the next time you want to remove a plug. I'll bet when you go WOT the next time you will go white knuckle for the first time since you got the bike. (y) (y) (y) I'm just glad the mystery is solved. Well let's hope everything works as it should now anyway. :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts