Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to save up some money for my next gear purchase, I don't like to go cheap. So I want to figure out what I should buy next.

Right now I've got a helmet that fits really well (full face) and is well ventilated, and I've got an armored jacket that's great to wear. I currently wear mechanic's gloves and an old pair of army boots (tucking in laces).

What should I look for next? Dedicated motorcycle boots?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Good sturdy over the ankle boots should be a must. You want something that's going to support your foot incase you need it. They don't necessarily have to be dedicated motorcycle boots, but something that's going to allow you to shift and brake and have really good traction. Yep, you need traction on your shoes too.

Kevlar pants are nice too. A bit expensive, but you may be able to find them on sale. In cooler weather, some versions help keep your legs a bit warmer. Most you can't tell the difference between them and regular jeans.

I would purchase motorcycle gloves. They are curved to fit which makes it more comfy, and help protect a bit better.

ATTGATT is definitely costly, but not as costly as a weeks stay in the hospital....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good sturdy over the ankle boots should be a must. You want something that's going to support your foot incase you need it. They don't necessarily have to be dedicated motorcycle boots, but something that's going to allow you to shift and brake and have really good traction. Yep, you need traction on your shoes too.

Kevlar pants are nice too. A bit expensive, but you may be able to find them on sale. In cooler weather, some versions help keep your legs a bit warmer. Most you can't tell the difference between them and regular jeans.

I would purchase motorcycle gloves. They are curved to fit which makes it more comfy, and help protect a bit better.

ATTGATT is definitely costly, but not as costly as a weeks stay in the hospital....
You don't have to convince me of the value of good quality safety gear. An engineer spent a lot of time and I spent a lot of money on that metal cage I commute in every day... I have no problem spending the money on some decent personal protection for when I ride.

So it sounds like gloves and shoes are next. My army boots are okay but the toe is a bit big. Looks like I've got September's purchases!

·
Noob Rider
125 Posts
I would suggest boots first then gloves if you have to buy one at a time. tourmaster makes some good boots that don't break the bank.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take a look at armored pants with CE armour in the knees and hips. I wear the Olympia air glide 3 pants that I can wear jeans, shorts or less. I have been researching my next pair and have it narrowed down to Rev-it mesh or pilot mesh pants.

If you are a traveler, you can reduce you pants packing to just a single pair which saves a ton of luggage space.

Next would be boots for me. There is more skin on my legs to protect than on my feet.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I have several different motorcycle helmets, jackets, boots and gloves to choose from depending on the weather. I have a few pairs of textile armored overpants, but lately I find myself wearing Kevlar jeans more than not. Especially if we're stopping somewhere on the nicer side to eat. The less I need to take off before we go inside the better. Besides, I'm usually only wearing shorts under the overpants anyway. :eek:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have found great deals at CycleGear, if you have one near you. They always have stuff on sale, great deals too...l don't think l have paid full price for anything yet. My armored gloves were half price, so they were just $30, and l am quite happy with them. My Sedici boots were on sale for about $100...but l am so glad l bout them. If you get a chance, go to the safety section and look at the thread that is titled "This is why footware is important" or something like that...l readt that thread and went and bought boots the next day.

I found Draggin Jeans (Kevlar) on Ebay for about $60, and l see them cheaper all the time if you aren't as tall...my inseam is 34 so l have a harder time finding riding pants.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
My last purchase was a surprise. I found some thick leather SPATS that cover the lower leg and ankles, prevent ingress of cold air when riding in the winter. Paid $10 or so for 'em at a garage sale.

I don't use any electrics. I'm able, fully bundled with ALL layers to ride down to about 35 degrees without misery. Covering the ankles was really the last step.

To go any colder I'd have to switch to Arctic or snowmobile boots, heated vest and gloves.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I am curious about the longevity of apparel. Helmets should be relegated to display or target practice after no more than 5 years (or sooner if they've had to do their job).

I know the Kevlar vests that police wear have a life span. I don't recall the time span, but they get replaced after a specific period of time. Evidently Kevlar degrades. I looked at the Dupont write up on it (see link below, there is a pdf you can download on the page). Sunlight will cause deterioration but evidently it has to be direct - if it is under other material it appears it is protected.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/fabrics-fibers-nonwovens/fibers/articles/kevlar-properties.html

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It's not clear where you are from, so I am about to make the suggestion that.........if you live in a place where there are multiple climate conditions (Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall) you will need multiple types of riding gear.

Protective, yet reasonable for the conditions.

Since "price" is apparently no object, then you won't have THAT aspect to worry about.

I would suggest a good pair of chaps, if you are riding a cruiser-style motorcycle. If you are riding a Power Ranger style Rice Rocket (no offense meant......just what I'm used to calling them, is all) then "Chaps" would seem out of place. In that case, SOME form of lower body protection in general, but also for extreme weather conditions.

Some folks like "heated gloves" and so forth, if you have colder temps and like to ride in them.

I like Tinted lenses on my helmets that are interchangeable with clear if riding in light and dark situations.

Lots of reflective material.......make yourself as "visible" as possible in all conditions. Even adding additional lights and reflectors on your motorcycle helps.

Pipes that are noisier than some, but not so loud that you draw unnecessary attention to yourself, are a good investment in terms of letting others know you are around.

It's not just about the gear you wear to protect yourself. It is also about how well you are seen, that keeps you safe. Statistics are not in your favor in that respect.

Taking the time to drive defensively and carefully, rather than aggressively and recklessly, also are good aids in protecting yourself.

But you know all that stuff, right???????

-Soupy

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Good list but you omitted installing an obnoxious horn to let the folks who didn't see you or hear your pipes know you're around them. I've got an air horn on my Valkyrie. It sends a message.

OTOH, this might be a bit much:

Anyone got tips on getting the youtube dealy working?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cnr6uGIV8no#t=0

Make sure the volume is up and the dog/cat is sleeping.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
...........Anyone got tips on getting the youtube dealy working?
After you copy the YouTube video link, click on the YouTube icon in the Advanced section, and right click the link in between the two YouTube Brackets.

Once you have done that, erase all of the link up to the word "Watch" so that everything from "Watch" and going to the right end of the link is all that's left between the brackets.......

-Soupy

·
lost
1,106 Posts
After you copy the YouTube video link, click on the YouTube icon in the Advanced section, and right click the link in between the two YouTube Brackets.

Once you have done that, erase all of the link up to the word "Watch" so that everything from "Watch" and going to the right end of the link is all that's left between the brackets.......

-Soupy
Is it me or did yours not work either? :smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Gear

Would help if you posted your location. It is a lot hotter on Venus than Pluto.
So I do not know whether to suggest a thong or a snowmobile suit.
Most folks do not have decent rain gear, which includes boot and glove covers.

I still use army boots for most of the year. Switch to lined rubber boots for colder wet riding, and lighter leather boots for the hot summer days. I carry several pairs of gloves for the different temperatures.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts