Motorcycle Forum banner

What fuel mileage does your Motorcycle get?

441K views 2K replies 1K participants last post by  CDW4ME 
#1 · (Edited)
I ride an XL 1200R and get a solid 49 MPG on my daily commute, mostly interstate highway.

#7 ·
'02 Triumph Sprint ST= 48-51 MPG
'98 BMW R1200C = 45-48 MPG
'01 Kawasaki KLR650 = 55-62 MPG
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7 = 33-38 MPG

These figures are while riding a mix of city & rush-hour highway with top speeds varying from 55-80 MPH.

Tim

Reactions: -Nate
#10 ·
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard. 5 speed shaft. All stock.

46-54 mpg based on two fill ups. The lower fill up after puttering around in town. The higher on the highway doing 55-70 mph. I average 60-65 mph going to and from work.
The dealer said mid to high 40s mpg. I was there today, told him what I was getting and he said some people report the same.

#265 ·
Since I posted that last July, I got all grown up and have the adult license that allows me to ride on the freeway. At about the same time I got that license, I added a windshield and lowers. Mileage now is down to about 42 unless I keep the speed at about 65, then it goes up to about 47.

Oddly enough, I still get the 42mpg when my Wife rides with me.

#19 ·
Quick question, what's the best way to measure your gas mileage? When I fill up, I pull the hose guard back so I can see how much gas is in the tank, and I never top it off, so how do you measure the number of gallons you've used over a certain distance?

In my car I try to go to the same pump and set it to auto, when it clicks off that's when it's done filling and I take the reading of gallons put in.

#20 ·
What's the best way to measure your gas mileage?
Fill your tank full. (Up to the top of the nozzle restrictor)
Reset your trip odometer, or write down your miles.
Ride ride ride. Ride some more. (Until nearly empty)
Fill your tank again to the same spot.
Note the number of gallons it took to fill.
Divide the miles ridden by the number of gallons it took to fill the tank. The answer is your MPG.

#29 ·
That's good to know, Cardinal. My C50 didn't come with a book but, that's how I fill it.

My mileage I posted it using regular 87 octane. For two tanks now, it seems to do just fine.

A guy at work rides a 90s model Honda Shadow ACE. He gets 35-40 mpg.

Another guy at work, our ranks are swelling, says that cruisers over 1000-1100+ cc don't get as good mpg as cruisers 600-1000, especially not as good as cruisers 600-900. I don't know how correct that is and imagine there's more to it than just displacement.

#30 ·
Another guy at work, our ranks are swelling, says that cruisers over 1000-1100+ cc don't get as good mpg as cruisers 600-1000, especially not as good as cruisers 600-900. I don't know how correct that is and imagine there's more to it than just displacement.
Looking at the numbers here, I'm getting pretty good mileage (49 HWY) with a 1200 CC compaired to some of the smaller CC bikes. I don't run any exhaust or engine mods however. Maybe that's part of it.

I do get quite a bit less doing stop-and-go riding. (42 MPG in town)

Harley Davidson rates the mileage for my bike at 57 MPG highway. I think they get that figure riding indoors on a treadmill.