Motorcycle Forum banner
1941 - 1960 of 1973 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My mileage can fluctuate wildly on both bikes (F4i & CRF230). The F4i averages 35-38 mpg but I've gotten as high as 48 if I'm taking it real easy and as low as 28 on the track. The CRF has gotten a high of 72 and a low of 58. With no gauge on either one, and no idea how much is left when I have to switch to "reserve" on the CRF, I keep a very close eye on my mileage. Really don't want to run out of gas anywhere on Skyline Drive or a fire trail in the mountains...

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
Approx 29mpg. Sucks the tank dry when throttle is used like it should be.

No fuel gauge..... Just a fuel light.

Costs about £20 to fill her up.
I know what you mean. 65mph and lower not so bad. Get up to 70mph and the true sucking of fuel is on. At least that's how it is now with me. 120 mile range if lucky and I was used to 200 mile range. Baby it and I can get 150. That still sucks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know what you mean. 65mph and lower not so bad. Get up to 70mph and the true sucking of fuel is on. At least that's how it is now with me. 120 mile range if lucky and I was used to 200 mile range. Baby it and I can get 150. That still sucks.
We moan about mpg....however if we were ACTUALLY bothered, we would be riding mopeds.....

....i hate mopeds.....

.......they are [email protected]

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,715 Posts
I honestly never even thought about mpg, I have always been a performance oriented guy, and knew that performance and MPG did not go hand in hand.

My friends and I always made jokes that the mopeds/scooters were for the kids or adults that lost thier licsense.. :LOL:

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
But I used to have a “scooter” that could 110 mph and still get 40 mpg.

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,715 Posts
If someone is relatively new to motorcycling, finding out what kind of MPG other riders get can be very useful. If I'm getting significantly fewer MPG than "typical" then I know I need to go troubleshooting.
it would be nice if it worked that way, What will effect this, is the age, current mileage, mods, temps, rider weight, bike type, engine size etc.. too many variables to compare your estimated mpg to any other riders mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick question, what's the best way to measure your gas mileage? When I fill up, I pull the hose guard back so I can see how much gas is in the tank, and I never top it off, so how do you measure the number of gallons you've used over a certain distance?

In my car I try to go to the same pump and set it to auto, when it clicks off that's when it's done filling and I take the reading of gallons put in.
fill up your tank reset mileage then when you fill up agian calculate how much fuel you used against mileage and boom you got your fuel economy

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
fill up your tank reset mileage then when you fill up agian calculate how much fuel you used against mileage and boom you got your fuel economy
You also need to do that several times to get an average because you might not full to the same level each time and roads and environmental conditions change such as highway speed versus city speed and headwinds versus tailwinds or crosswinds. Even temperature enters into it. So several like that gives you an average once you take them all into consideration. I use Fuelly app on my phone and let it figure the average.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You also need to do that several times to get an average because you might not full to the same level each time and roads and environmental conditions change such as highway speed versus city speed and headwinds versus tailwinds or crosswinds. Even temperature enters into it. So several like that gives you an average once you take them all into consideration. I use Fuelly app on my phone and let it figure the average.
yea i def dont get too in depth with all the variables like that i just fill up take a mental note of roughly how many miles i get between fill ups and call it good. calculating for barometric pressure and elevation and how many tacos i ate is too much for my feeble brain haha

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
I am getting between 52-57 mpg on my lil Ninja.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually kind of like not having a fuel gauge (and a tach). Its kind of like being more of a part of the machine rather than just an observer. Of course, not having a fuel gauge doesn't really bother me because ever since I started driving a car I used my trip odometer in leu of the fuel gauge.
My Triumph has a low fuel warning lite. I think I preferred the reserve switch on my old Honda.

·
Biker
1,637 Posts
Been riding the wide glide a lot lately, had the 103 cubic inch engine 6 speed tranny.
If I keep her around 65 I get a drop over 53 to the gallon, keep her around 70 with
quick passing at times, 50 a gallon and if I roll on her in the 80's at times between
45 to 48.

1941 - 1960 of 1973 Posts