Motorcycle Forum banner
1921 - 1940 of 1973 Posts

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Filled it again and riding nice, acting like a good little commuter, and got 57 MPG

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Short Fuse
765 Posts
With over 50 years of riding and having had around 40 bikes - I have never thought about the fuel mileage of any bike that I have bought. It is not even a consideration for me. People often ask me what's the fuel mileage of my Aprilia - I shrug as say that I don't know and don't give a flying farnarkle. I didn't buy it for mileage - I bought it because I wanted it.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,498 Posts
With over 50 years of riding and having had around 40 bikes - I have never thought about the fuel mileage of any bike that I have bought. It is not even a consideration for me. People often ask me what's the fuel mileage of my Aprilia - I shrug as say that I don't know and don't give a flying farnarkle. I didn't buy it for mileage - I bought it because I wanted it.

So you post in a fuel mileage thread?

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,498 Posts
Odd, the title I see reads 'What fuel mileage does your Motorcycle get?'

However, most posts do tend to go OT

·
Visionary
5,410 Posts
But don't you ever want to know how far you can go on a tank, if you will make it to the next gas station, or when to plan fuel stops on a long trip?
For those purposes I find it essential to know that I get 42-43 mpg at 75mph cruise and I have 6.1 gallons of usable fuel in my tank if I carefully fill it, etc.

·
Short Fuse
765 Posts
But don't you ever want to know how far you can go on a tank, if you will make it to the next gas station, or when to plan fuel stops on a long trip?
For those purposes I find it essential to know that I get 42-43 mpg at 75mph cruise and I have 6.1 gallons of usable fuel in my tank if I carefully fill it, etc.
Not really. When my tank goes on reserve, I look for a petrol station. The Aprilia doesn't even have a fuel gauge...a light comes on, on the dash - then you know you have approx 36 kilometres to go before you have to push it.

Memory throw-back - Back in the 70's I ran out of petrol in a remote part of South Australia. I walked a couple of K's (kilometres) and found a station (big farm) property gate. I trudged up the driveway for another K or so and found no-one at home. In the shed were several 44 gallon drums - after sniffing around (literally) I found one with petrol in it. I also found a couple of Coca Cola bottles. I filled them up, and left a note with a couple of dollars on the drum. Those coke bottles full of fuel got me to the next town. I have never counted the mpg. I just look at the fuel guage and judge how far I can go. In that instance, I didn't know the distance between fuel stops. I'm not saying that it's right - just how I am.

·
American Legion Rider
26,412 Posts
Only those that care about the early signs of a engine needing something and those going long distance care about mileage. Nothing wrong with not knowing but I’m not one. I want to know.

·
Short Fuse
765 Posts
Only those that care about the early signs of a engine needing something and those going long distance care about mileage. Nothing wrong with not knowing but I’m not one. I want to know.
For me, there is a difference between the two. I don't care about the mpg on a ride, but I'm very aware of the mileage of my machines because I'm the one who works on them. I have a file where I record the date and mileage of each service/tyre change, and when the next one is due.

For example, the tyres on my Aprilia are a little over half worn, however they were manufactured in 2016, and I put them on the bike in August 2018. That's makes them five years old - I have just bought a new set. Same with my Rusi SS 250. Tyres are four years old, still lots of tread, but cheap Chinese ones - so I changed them as well.

1921 - 1940 of 1973 Posts