Motorcycle Forum banner

1901 - 1911 of 1911 Posts

·
Biker
1,530 Posts
Gassed up wanderin gerty today, at 115 miles she drank 2.908 gallons coming out to 39 mpg.
I wonder if it has anything to do with being in 3rd up to 60 mph b4 shifting into higher gears,
hahaha yeah sometimes she likes to really get down on it. well stuff ended after I figured
out the mileage.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
Not lugging it can indeed improve mileage but we all love the thump thump of lower gears. It's just not very good for them. Keep the R's up. (y)

·
8,709 Posts
The EPA does all of their mileage testing in a closed room, on a Dyno @ 55 mph for all testing. *** There is no wind resistance though so it obviously isn't a 'Real world' test. This is why NORMAL people that drive normally (FAST) on our roads, rarely get the advertised fuel mileage. I feel it is a good 'baseline' test though.

For many years, when I get a new Vehicle of any kind, part of my Break-in is to fill the tank to maximum, record the Odometer reading and then get right on Interstate 49 (HWY 71) that is almost straight as an arrow, set the cruise at 55 mph as I hug the 'Slow lane,' and drive due North towards Kansas City, MO, for about 70 miles and fill the tank again, to the 'Brim' and calculate miles driven divided by the amount of fuel used, to see how accurate the EPA ratings are:

Doing this, every one of my Vehicles exceeds the EPA figures.

Sam:)

·
Registered
2020 Tracer 900GT
82 Posts
My Tracer GT typically averages in the 40's, but I'm sure would do even better if I could control that right wrist of mine. :) My last bike was a V-Strom 650, it honestly didn't get much better mileage over my Tracer nor was it nearly as fun.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,654 Posts
My AT would push 50mpg with no luggage or trailer. For all my cargo carrying capabilities, I don't consider losing ~5mpg that bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2018 Honda CB500F and the computer says I'm getting 72MPG. Not sure if that's accurate but I've never done the math of filling up and then watching how many miles I get per tank. My fill up is barely $6 per tank so I don't really even watch that much.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
This thread has me wanting to figure it out. Problem is, I rarely ride the same bike more than a couple times before jumping on another one.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
This thread has me wanting to figure it out. Problem is, I rarely ride the same bike more than a couple times before jumping on another one.

So you set the trip meter when you fill up. When you actually fill that bike up again do the math

Reactions: Stablefull

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
226 Posts
These days, you may just go to

and you can browse to see what the ave MPG is like for almost all models.
And, these are really world tracking.

1901 - 1911 of 1911 Posts