Motorcycle Forum banner
1981 - 2000 of 2012 Posts

·
Registered
2022 T120, V7lll Special
68 Posts
Harleys generally get pretty good mileage. My 1800 Harley did better than my 1400 Moto Guzzi. However the Guzzi would leave the Harley for dead. My Guzzi averaged 40 mpg over a variety of riding styles and conditions.
kk

·
sub-Administrator American Legion Rider KA5LRS
27,694 Posts
uk
£1.49 per litre
4.54609 litres 1 gallon

£6.79 per gallon
$9.23 per gallon
---------------
Must be yet another way they get just a little more out of you or there is some other rounding error. Because using your £1.49 and 4.54609, I get £6.7736741. So even if I round up where I shouldn't, that would be £6.78. Must be some fuel business math going on rather than straight math.
:thinking:

Reactions: ChiefGunner

·
Registered
24 Posts
Must be yet another way they get just a little more out of you or there is some other rounding error. Because using your £1.49 and 4.54609, I get £6.7736741. So even if I round up where I shouldn't, that would be £6.78. Must be some fuel business math going on rather than straight math.
:thinking:
you are indeed correct

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honda super cub...120mpg
In continuous manufacture since 1958 with production surpassing 60 million in 2008, 87 million in 2014, and 100 million in 2017, the Super Cub is the most produced motor vehicle in history.
-

·
Registered
03 Honda Shadow ACE 750
9 Posts
2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE. Getting right around the 55 mpg mark pretty steadily on two lane blacktop. Less on the expressway. I check on it every now and then just as a seat of the pants way to verify nothing weird is going on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The price gas is getting might make more incentive to get my bike running again. Having said that though when my Honda Hawk was new I got about 100 miles a gallon. I had someone overhaul the carb once and afterwards it only got about 30 miles a gallon.

·
Visionary
5,918 Posts
The price gas is getting might make more incentive to get my bike running again. Having said that though when my Honda Hawk was new I got about 100 miles a gallon. I had someone overhaul the carb once and afterwards it only got about 30 miles a gallon.
You got 100 mpg on a Hawk? What year?
Not sure how, best I've ever seen on my 1978 Hawk is about 45-55 mpg and others online I've talked to agree with that.

·
sub-Administrator American Legion Rider KA5LRS
27,694 Posts
Not sure how, best I've ever seen on my 1978 Hawk is about 45-55 mpg and others online I've talked to agree with that.
Mine got on average 48 mpg on my hour plus commute. Would like to know how anyone got 100 out of a Hawk.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Having said that though when my Honda Hawk was new I got about 100 miles a gallon.
Are you talking about the the Hawk GT650? Even the factory says only 41mpg - your scoot is super special - I hope that you still have it to ride in todays inflated fuel prices....and then maybe you are talking about the 400 Hawk, with the best fuel consumption being 66 mpg - not bad - but I'm envious either way.....and when you say 'overhaul the carbs' resulting in three times your original in fuel consumption - just what did that person do?

·
Visionary
5,918 Posts
Are you talking about the the Hawk GT650? Even the factory says only 41mpg - your scoot is super special - I hope that you still have it to ride in todays inflated fuel prices....and then maybe you are talking about the 400 Hawk, with the best fuel consumption being 66 mpg - not bad - but I'm envious either way.....and when you say 'overhaul the carbs' resulting in three times your original in fuel consumption - just what did that person do?
Mine is the 400, I never got close to 66, but then again I'm not exactly a light weight :)

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Zip
3,125 Posts
Up until last August I had been getting about 42-43 MPG on my R1150RT. Since then it's been about 40 MPG. What happened in August? I got new tires mounted and balanced by somebody who knows what he's doing. Before, the bike lacked smoothness above 60 MPH (that's putting it mildly). Since then, it's smooth as silk all the way to 100 (haven't taken it past that). As a result I'm spending lots more time at 80 MPH than I used to. :)

·
Visionary
5,918 Posts
Up until last August I had been getting about 42-43 MPG on my R1150RT. Since then it's been about 40 MPG. What happened in August? I got new tires mounted and balanced by somebody who knows what he's doing. Before, the bike lacked smoothness above 60 MPH (that's putting it mildly). Since then, it's smooth as silk all the way to 100 (haven't taken it past that). As a result I'm spending lots more time at 80 MPH than I used to. :)
Talk about unintended consequences..lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine is a 400cc. It is a 1979 model I bought new in 1980. I let gas go bad in it onetime and it screwed up the carbs so I took it to a motorcycle repair shop to have for a overhaul. At the time I wasn't even working on cars. I couldn't even figure out how to get the carbs out of it for a number of years. The motorcycle has sat outdoors since 2006 and I got it out last fall to see if it was salvageable. It was in pretty bad shape but the crankcase was free of water and I believe the valves are working. I took the carbs apart and vatted them and replaced a lot of internal parts. If I can get the engine running I will seek out someone to adjust the carbs and go from there. I don't have the tools or the ability to tune the carbs together.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The bike was a 1979 Hawk with a 400cc engine which I bought in 1980. The fuel capacity is 3 gallons and if the trip meter was working correctly I could go 300 miles. For a number of reasons I quit riding very much and I let gas go bad in it and had a shop rework the carbs and while it ran good afterwards didn't get much more than 100 miles to a tank of gas.

Except for the seat this is pretty close to what my bike used to look like.

Attachments

1981 - 2000 of 2012 Posts