Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
Discussion Starter #1
So, um, here's what happened: I had just exited my gravel driveway onto the hard surface farm road. I'll admit, I was not in the best mood. I made the 90 degree curve onto which my driveway exits, gunned it on the straight, went to shift into second and hit neutral instead. Before I could roll off and squeeze the clutch lever to get to second, the transmission snapped back down into first. I won't swear to it, but it seemed like my hands got a little higher and I somehow twacked my left thumb a little (My right is pretty used to it; seems it gets twacked every crash 馃槉 ). I wouldn't say that it felt scary, but it definitely wasn't normal and it got my attention. Could my front wheel have caught air for a brief moment during that unexpected downshift--and can I claim to have done my first wheelie?????:devilish:

Visionary
So, um, here's what happened: I had just exited my gravel driveway onto the hard surface farm road. I'll admit, I was not in the best mood. I made the 90 degree curve onto which my driveway exits, gunned it on the straight, went to shift into second and hit neutral instead. Before I could roll off and squeeze the clutch lever to get to second, the transmission snapped back down into first. I won't swear to it, but it seemed like my hands got a little higher and I somehow twacked my left thumb a little (My right is pretty used to it; seems it gets twacked every crash 馃槉 ). I wouldn't say that it felt scary, but it definitely wasn't normal and it got my attention. Could my front wheel have caught air for a brief moment during that unexpected downshift--and can I claim to have done my first wheelie?????:devilish:
Well there's one way to find out, do it again but set up a video camera first :cool:

My wife did a minor 'inadvertant' wheelie on her Chieftain, believe it or not! What happened was she had some upgrades done, cams, intake, exhaust, and a tune including a higher rev limit. On the way home from the dealer she decided to see if these mods really made a difference.. :)
We were getting on the interstate, she hammered it, wound out first and kept the throttle on and when she shifted into second gear and let go of the clutch the front wheel came up! I had a good look at it since she was just passing me, I clearly saw light under that tire for a couple of seconds. She blew past me and kept going, then asked me over the intercom if I had been really trying to keep up, since she passed me like I was standing still. I told her to look down at how fast she was going and asked her about the wheelie. She said she had noticed the steering felt pretty light for a little while but wasn't really sure about the wheelie.. I was, I saw it.
Yeah, that Stage 2 made a big difference on her Indian.

Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
It's possible, but if it was wound out and jumped back in to first, it was probably well beyond it's peak torque.

On my cbr1000rr, it'll bring the wheel up pretty easy and I'll often lift it an inch or two in first and second, cause I'm cool like that馃き.

My previous 600f4i I'd have to really work it to bring the wheel up, and it generally involved me sitting a little further rearward.

Maybe your kawi just has too much power馃檪

Premium Member
A missed shift and a bunch of revs, then landing in gear, will often result in a wheel hop. Mini wheelie.
An extended wheelie causes the front end ( steering ) to feel light. A high speed wheelie over a rise, feels a bit like guiding a space ship. Not that I have ever guided a space ship.
A popped or dropped clutch wheelie, is more sudden than a power wheelie. Dropped clutch is preety instant, and can be severe enough for an endo. A power wheelie is more gentle, and can have the front wheel carried a few inches above the ground, for a long distance. If you watch the moto GP bikes, they often lift the front wheel a couple of inches exiting corners. They are body steering at that point, and usually would like to have the front wheel back on the pavement. UK

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
A missed shift and a bunch of revs, then landing in gear, will often result in a wheel hop. Mini wheelie.
An extended wheelie causes the front end ( steering ) to feel light. A high speed wheelie over a rise, feels a bit like guiding a space ship. Not that I have ever guided a space ship.
A popped or dropped clutch wheelie, is more sudden than a power wheelie. Dropped clutch is preety instant, and can be severe enough for an endo. A power wheelie is more gentle, and can have the front wheel carried a few inches above the ground, for a long distance. If you watch the moto GP bikes, they often lift the front wheel a couple of inches exiting corners. They are body steering at that point, and usually would like to have the front wheel back on the pavement. UK
Mini wheelie. OK, I'll take that! Now I have something cool to say when my students ask me if I've ever done a wheelie.:cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Mini wheelie. OK, I'll take that! Now I have something cool to say when my students ask me if I've ever done a wheelie.:cool:
Next thing you know I'll be getting tattooed!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Secret Agent
Well, we're all still wondering what you were not in a good mood about馃

Ace Tuner
Yep, you popped a wheelie.
The only wheel stands I do are what I call power stands. Throttle only, no clutch action.
If you don't give it steering input you might not even know the front wheel is up. To fix that you can 'cross up' the bars, left to right. (Note. Wheel must be OFF pavement for the fix to take).

S F

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we're all still wondering what you were not in a good mood about馃
Thanks to feeling under the weather for a couple days, a water leak springing between the house and the spigot during that time, and all four sets of brake pads and rotors needing replaced on the truck so we can use it this weekend, my husband had been replaced by Mr. Hyde for about a week.:mad: All is well and he's better now.:) At least I managed to ride for three of those days, thank goodness!!馃お

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, you popped a wheelie.
The only wheel stands I do are what I call power stands. Throttle only, no clutch action.
If you don't give it steering input you might not even know the front wheel is up. To fix that you can 'cross up' the bars, left to right. (Note. Wheel must be OFF pavement for the fix to take).

S F
The road has an uphill grade where it happened; could that have been a factor, too?

American Legion Rider
The road has an uphill grade where it happened; could that have been a factor, too?
Most assuredly. Even though small for your sport bike riding position, the slight hill would put more of your weight to the rear. A cruiser with the upright position would see it even more.

Secret Agent
a water leak springing between the house and the spigot

I just had to dig up and replace a hydrant last week. Was leaking out the drain back hole. I'd just replaced that same hydrant in 1997, you'd think it'd last longer than that!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I just had to dig up and replace a hydrant last week. Was leaking out the drain back hole. I'd just replaced that same hydrant in 1997, you'd think it'd last longer than that!
Huh, must be a pandemic! :eek: :eek:

American Legion Rider
I鈥檝e had to replace 2 newer hydrants recently. The older ones still working fine. I suspect the new ones are Chinese. No one seems to have anything that lasts as long has my older hydrants. An the older ones get used more often so you would think they would have failed before the new ones.

Reactions: CRracer712

Registered
2005 CBR1000RR; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
Thanks to feeling under the weather for a couple days, a water leak springing between the house and the spigot during that time, and all four sets of brake pads and rotors needing replaced on the truck so we can use it this weekend, my husband had been replaced by Mr. Hyde for about a week.:mad: All is well and he's better now.:) At least I managed to ride for three of those days, thank goodness!!馃お
ha ha ... isn't one of the pillars of truth in the MSF course is to avoid going on the bike when you are not emotionally alright?:giggle:

Reactions: CRracer712

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
ha ha ... isn't one of the pillars of truth in the MSF course is to avoid going on the bike when you are not emotionally alright?:giggle:
Yes, you are correct; and I was emotionally all right enough to ride safely.

Conversely, back when I got my 2008 NINJA 250R CL special, I had to keep making trips to the dealership for parts; it was on the opposite end of town from my house. The day I was working on it was absolutely gorgeous, sunny, 75 degrees. The first two trips over there I took my Honda NT700V. But when I found I had to make a THIRD trip on the same day due to the thing being a royal pain, I was so mad that I took my PRIUS. That tells you how emotionally NOT all right I was!! On the way home, the bike was christened "Sheldon" because it was incredibly bright, but a royal pain in the butt, but you love it anyway.馃挌馃挌馃挌 All my NINJAs have been "Sheldons" ever since.

On The Road Again!
Nice!!
...the bike too!
LOL!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts