Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,471 Posts
Rain

I remember one day at the track and it was pissing rain. Some of the riders wanted to cancel the race. This it what I said.
" If you girls want to go home, that is fine with me. Meanwhile the rest of us are going racing "
From the comments, I can now understand why I seem to be the quickest guy off the ferry, when it is raining.
I admit it is not as much fun as when it is dry. But of you are dolled up well, it is not a problem. It does help that I have been fast in the rain ( at the track ) and know what to expect.
These days I pick my days. But up until early last year, I was riding 70 miles to work, 2 times per week. Did that for four years.
Probably be raining next Thursday when I head to the mainland.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you do long distance riding you can have cold weather and rain no matter when you do the ride. I've had low 30's in July and August and 100's and 100's of miles of rain. Couldn't stop, I was on a schedule, only had so many days to do the trip because I had to get back to work.
If you're not going anywhere why worry about what others do?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think some riders think that the worse the riding conditions, the more genuine they are as "bikers". I'm with many others on this forum in that I ride for fun, and its no fun at all when its freezing out and I would need to look and feel like the Michelin Man to survive a bike ride. I truly live for the rare days when it is 75 degrees, sunny, no wind, no traffic and curvy country roads just for me. I'll settle for far less, of course, but once it gets below about 55 degrees (or above about 95 degrees) I just don't feel a desire to ride. I don't feel like I need to ride 1,000 miles in one day to prove I am a real motorcyclist, and I don't need to ride in sub-freezing weather to prove anything either.
Real "bikers" don't go anywhere and just whine on the internet?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'll bet the Vision keeps you almost as dry as a Wing would.
It helps to have a Vision but if you ride long enough you still get wet.
I did a ride with a group this past summer and the first 300 miles was pouring rain with gusting winds and I was soaking wet. With the side winds I think the water came in around my neck.

I bought one of these for my helmet - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schampa-helmet-skirt - I haven't tried it yet but it is one more option to try and stay dry and warm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Some good advice here, and here's mine:

*Layers, layers, layers, that include Under Armor.

*Rain gear is a must in wet weather, and don't forget the feet and hands; those seem to be the hardest to keep warm and dry, so...

* some good boots and gloves in any and all weather.

Philo

·
Registered
17 Posts
When driving in rainy and cold weather, I mostly prefer wearing jackets that have no. of layers and at the same time they are breathable. I always look for jackets that are waterproof. Though, I always carry rainsuits while travelling in rains, but in case I forget to carry those, my jacket makes up for it. Along with it good quality of boots and gloves are an essential part of my winter riding wardrobe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wear a First gear thermosuit. Keeps me warm and dry to 10 degrees for my hour ride to work. Of course, a good pair of gauntlet gloves with waterproof shields help a lot too. Full face helmet, but the shield will frost over. Thinking of getting a heated helmet so I can get away from that.
they really make heated helmets? what do you do, plug it into your cigarette lighter port?

·
Premium Member
7,471 Posts
Scarf.

A scarf that covers your nose will help with the foggy window. The window needs to be open a little if it still fogs. My head stays warm enough.
I have added lined rubber boots to my riding gear, and snowmobile mitts that attach to each end of the bars and cover the levers. My gloved hand goes inside the mitts. Still have to get semi knobby tyres for the 400.

Unkle Crusty*

61 - 70 of 70 Posts