Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across the basic and some creative methods for kickstand support. I accidentally discover that a piece of Styrofoam works pretty good too. What do some of you use for kickstand support ?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I have a kickstand puck I picked up at a bike show for free, a blank electrical box cover works great, costs about $.69 and is easy to carry and stow, plus if you forget to pick it up it's easy to replace at any home store or even walmart.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I have a kickstand puck I picked up at a bike show for free, a blank electrical box cover works great, costs about $.69 and is easy to carry and stow, plus if you forget to pick it up it's easy to replace at any home store or even walmart.
I use the electrical box covers too, i tie a string to it and wrap it around the handgrip, that way I don't forget it and can just pick it up with the string, No bending over.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
At home I use disc golf discs that I don't ever use. Out and about, I use a random plastic card from my wallet that isn't important.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When at home I'm parked on concrete, but I just got a motorcycle garage with plywood floor. WalMart has those things that all the bikes at the Harley store sit on for $5.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
If (and it usually DOESN'T happen) I need to find solid ground for the kick stand, I have a hard-plastic (about .300 thick) plate that I can pull out of my travel bag and use.

But generally speaking, considering I ride a street Cruiser, I wouldn't let myself get into a situation where I need to use something.

I take that back........there IS one situation where I'm almost forced to use one of those kick stand supports.........at the local "Fair" each Autumn. There, we (and every other kind of vehicle) have to park in a field.

Come to think of it........if I WAS "going to the Fair," I typically take the F-150 anyway!

-Soupy

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I had a piece of half inch thick plywood left over from a project, so I cut it up into several 4 inch square pieces. I lean my vintage bikes against the wall so they take up less space and use the squares as shims under the kickstands. Also when my buds come over with their ginormous bikes, they use them to save my asphalt drive. I also carry one in my saddlebag in case I need one on the road, but Its easier (and faster) to just find and crush an aluminum can then to dig through my bags.:eek:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I use a small magnetic tank bag to keep some basic essentials with me, things that I don't want to stuff into my pants pockets like sunglasses, tire pressure gauge, smartphone, etc. And one of those items is a flattened steel can (I think it was from tomato sauce). I rarely park anywhere where I feel the need to use this side stand support (I only call it a kick stand on my bicycle). But when I do, I have the support with me. If I forget to pick it up, no big deal, I can always get a new can to flatten and put in my tank bag.

Its interesting that this thread came up at this time. I was just recently talking to an old friend who lives in San Antonio, Texas, where I lived many years ago. Down in South Texas the asphalt gets so hot in the summer that a side stand tip can easily sink into the pavement and let the bike fall over, so using some flat support was a normal part of parking the bike from about April through October. Once I moved north I pretty much stopped using any support on whatever bike I owned.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I picked up an 8" x 6" piece of aluminium plate from a boat builder's yard. Keep it in my pannier just in case I have to park on grass or dirt.

For moving my bike around in confined spaces on tarmac or concrete I carry an ezy2wheel in the pannier as well.

View attachment 13849

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I use the electrical plate cover, with a zip-tie in one screw-hole corner. The zip-tie is long, so it sticks up in the air, giving me a handle to grab. I stow it in the top of one of my hard saddlebags' small compartments on the top cover, for easy access.

I've picked a bike up, in an asphalt parking lot in the past. Not only embarrassing, but it can damage the bike's turn signals, as well as other bits and bobs. The electrical cover plate is money well spent. Center stands are much worse: tried that trick once, and the bike sank straight down -- had some difficulty getting it off the sunken center stand, but it didn't fall over, at least. :biggrin: Cheers!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Crushed soda can, not only do you get soda, you get peace of mind. All for 75¢
I use a crushed beer can. Provides twice the piece of mind as soda, half the calories and the price is not much different.

Most importantly I don't lose my peace of mind when I forget to pick it up and take it with me unlike those .69 electrical box covers.

Exactly the opposite.

I acquire even MORE peace of mind when I realize I'm going to have to acquire another one.

Keeping my bike from falling over while simultaneously acquiring peace of mind...I'm surprised Robert Pirsig didn't clue in on this powerful Zen technique.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I carry a flattened aluminum can in my jacket pocket.
It's the same can i found on the side of the road a couple of years ago.
Free is for me.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Center stands are much worse: tried that trick once, and the bike sank straight down -- had some difficulty getting it off the sunken center stand, but it didn't fall over, at least. :biggrin: Cheers!
The stand can sink down into the pavement then get solidly stuck there if the temperature cools down enough to solidify the pavement again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts