Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a rural area and ride two lane roads through forest. One of my biggest worries is hitting a deer. So far I've only had close calls and no strikes.

I have some riding buddies who swear by deer whistles, but I know of no scientific evidence that they work, and in fact I can't imagine how you would design a test to find out how effective they are. I have installed a pair (they come in pairs) on my bike because they are cheap and MIGHT work......certainly they make more sense than those little bells that some bikers attach to their bikes.

If anybody has any real data on these I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Maybe 20 years back I read an article of a university study evaluating a number of different deer whistles. The conclusion -- they ALL worked in the sense that deer reacted to each of them; the problem was, they jumped right in front of a whistle-equipped vehicle as often as they jumped away. The recommendation -- save your money, stay alert and ALWAYS immediately slow and prepare to evade when you spot deer.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
We did this subject a while back. I do not like them. You have to think about the farm animals as well as the deer. I ride by deer all the time. They hear me before I see them. A change in the sound, is what startles them IMO.

UK

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't let my guard down any because I have deer whistles. I still scan the road shoulders and ride in the left wheel track when there are no cars coming to give myself some more time to react.

I'm not sure what UK means by "think about the farm animals". Do you mean think about avoiding them, or think about upsetting them?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have them on all my bikes after many years ago I had a close encounter with a deer, it's jaw hit my boot as it luckily for me slipped on the asphalt.

·
Ace Tuner
3,479 Posts
I live in a rural area and ride two lane roads through forest. One of my biggest worries is hitting a deer. So far I've only had close calls and no strikes.

I have some riding buddies who swear by deer whistles, but I know of no scientific evidence that they work, and in fact I can't imagine how you would design a test to find out how effective they are. I have installed a pair (they come in pairs) on my bike because they are cheap and MIGHT work......certainly they make more sense than those little bells that some bikers attach to their bikes.

If anybody has any real data on these I would love to hear it.
When we did this subject before someone put up a test done by a car magazine or something of the like.
The testing group indicated that the whistles did not work.

However, I've traveled thru deer rich areas without whistles and in the same areas with whistles on my bike.
Lots of close calls w/no whistles.
Every deer ran away from me with whistles.
I'm sold on 'em but they do need to be mounted correctly AND be able to get 'clean air' as much as possible.
Not real data but that's all I got...

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I suspect they do work but no real proof of that assumption. What I do know is they must be clean of debris or bugs. One small moth just before you encounter a deer might be a major problem at just the wrong time. That might be why tests haven't been able to prove they work but can claim they don't. Just one little bug. My fairing is full of bugs after every ride. No way would a deer whistle be able to work very long on my bike.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
I haven't let my guard down any because I have deer whistles. I still scan the road shoulders and ride in the left wheel track when there are no cars coming to give myself some more time to react.

I'm not sure what UK means by "think about the farm animals". Do you mean think about avoiding them, or think about upsetting them?
I have heard stories of them upsetting horses and other farm animals. And horses in trailers being towed. No evidence on cows or sheep being towed. When ten cows start dancing, they can rock the trailer. Two horses in a small trailer, behind mum's Blazer, can do the same.
If a horse is startled in its barn, it can bang its head against a wall, which can result in a sinus infection. Big problems and big bills can occur for the owner.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I have heard stories of them upsetting horses and other farm animals. And horses in trailers being towed. No evidence on cows or sheep being towed. When ten cows start dancing, they can rock the trailer. Two horses in a small trailer, behind mum's Blazer, can do the same.
If a horse is startled in its barn, it can bang its head against a wall, which can result in a sinus infection. Big problems and big bills can occur for the owner.

UK
I have never heard that and find it a little difficult to believe about trailered animals. Logic says they would have enough trouble keeping their balance and all the other wind noise would possibly just add one more. Both cows and horses bolt when I ride by them and I don't have whistles. But they don't bolt every time either. There is nothing consistent about it but I can assure you whistles wouldn't cause it anymore than without. This might just be old wives tales. Yes animals might bang their heads in a stall but very few barns are right next to roads anyway. I think this is just bull myself. Jumping up and down with arms waving for nothing. Any other ranchers/farmers think it's just bull?

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
As I said in the first sentence. I have heard stories. So no factual info there.

Barns can be near enough to the road. It is usually quiet in the rural areas, and of course sound travels.
The head bashing horse was caused by fireworks 8 miles away.
The dancing cows and sheep is from first hand experience. Cows are worse. Sheep pack better. Horses have a variety of behaviour in trailers. Ours were calm in the big stock trailer, standing on an angle. My reference tho was to a small side by side trailer, and I have seen plenty of upset horses in them. Seems the rural farming folks used big stock trailers.

I have no direct evidence of whistle upsetting other animals, just what I heard. And that is why we exchange stories, and ask the questions. The last time this subject came up, we were shown a video of a guy testing the whistles on a bike. Plus there was lots more chat. Might be in the archives somewhere.

We have plenty of deer on my Island, but no whistles that I am aware of.

UK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts