Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have tended to have cruisers, in part because they were easy to add saddle bags. I take a fair amount of "stuff" with me every time I ride, and having a place to put that "stuff" is important to me. I see sport bike riders using a backpack, something I can't stand doing especially when it gets really hot. The stuff I keep with me includes a rainsuit, extra gloves, a liner for my jacket, a flat tire repair kit, some bungee cords, air pressure gauge, small tool kit, small first aid kit, some basic paper maps, a baseball cap, a bottle of water, a flashlight, and probably a few other small things that I can't think of right now. Now that I ride a Goldwing, all of this stuff easily fits in one of the two side cases, leaving the other side case and the top trunk for my helmet and jacket when I stop at a restaurant or other place and don't want to carry that stuff with me. What do you take with you for every ride?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am newbie rider, got my endorsement last July. First time riding since I was 20, I am glad I decided to get back on the saddle. Having said that I just picked up a 2001 Yamaha VStar 650 Custom with saddle bags. I'm still in the process of sorting out in my head what to do with all the gear when I stop at a store, so far I bring my registration and proof of insurance.
For now I am riding on weekend to build my confidence on the streets, once I get past this point I am going to start riding the bike once a week to work.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Depends on where I'm going and how long I'm going to be gone. If just riding locally I carry registration, proof of insurance, garage remote, sunglasses, keys, wallet & cell phone.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'm actually a pack rat. I put things in my saddle bags, just til I get home, you know, then when I'm ready to really go some where, I have to unpack all the stuff I didn't intend to leave in there in the first place.

I'll be digging around in there, see something and think "I remember this!" the next thought is "What did I buy this for?" and then "I don't need this anymore."

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Wallet, phone, registration, glasses. Clothes to match the weather, and distance. Tools if going further than my Island.
Keys to get back in when I return. Gas if taking the side car.

UK

·
Registered
30 Posts
In addition to the usual stuff, like my wallet & garage door opener, I have taped a $20 bill inside one saddlebag. The reason is one time I went for a ride and when I got to my destination I realized that I forgot my wallet at home. This didn't turn out too badly as I had enough gas to get back home but things could have gotten a lot more complicated if that weren't the case.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,054 Posts
In addition to normal stuff like identification and ways to enter my living space:
-- Duct Tape (good for temporary fixes)
-- WD-40 (displaces water!)
-- Zip Ties (good for those temporary fixes that become permanent)
-- A very long screwdriver (works great for self protection, too!)
-- Extra cables.
-- Fuses.
-- Starting fluid.
-- Hot sauce.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
I realized that I forgot my wallet at home
That happened only once and I was packing. Well I always pack.
But that scarred me into a habit of ALWAYS having my wallet since.
So I'd say that true of anyone that carries. You might forget once but
that's all. That license just becomes part of you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Over the years I have tended to have cruisers, in part because they were easy to add saddle bags. I take a fair amount of "stuff" with me every time I ride, and having a place to put that "stuff" is important to me. I see sport bike riders using a backpack, something I can't stand doing especially when it gets really hot. The stuff I keep with me includes a rainsuit, extra gloves, a liner for my jacket, a flat tire repair kit, some bungee cords, air pressure gauge, small tool kit, small first aid kit, some basic paper maps, a baseball cap, a bottle of water, a flashlight, and probably a few other small things that I can't think of right now. Now that I ride a Goldwing, all of this stuff easily fits in one of the two side cases, leaving the other side case and the top trunk for my helmet and jacket when I stop at a restaurant or other place and don't want to carry that stuff with me. What do you take with you for every ride?
That's basically my list too. I'm on a cruiser with saddlebags and a soft trunk. I also carry whichever face shield I'm not wearing (tinted or clear) and whichever jacket I'm not wearing (mesh or rain/cool weather.) And extra waters and a quart of oil. I plan to graduate to a Wing too one of these days, I don't know what I'll put in it except clothes etc. if I go on an overnight trip.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Credit card? If that's the answer you're fishing for it's kind of implied by "wallet".

Pocket knife? I always have one with me whether I'm riding or not.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
RC60. Agreed. Wallet implies credit card, so that is not it. Pocket knife is a good idea. I carry something a bit larger.
One of these days I will probably hit a deer, and will have to use the knife.
A couple of weeks ago the power went off at the gold club during darts night. Most folks carry torches ( flash lights ) on the Island. During the scramble to get jackets and other items, Monica said " I can not find my ??? "

UK

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Since I normally ride more distance than the average and have a windshield, I carry something to clean that windshield. Removing bugs before they are baked on is so much easier when I stop for fuel rather than wait until I get back home. Certain times of the year that's much more important than others.😄 😄 😄

1 - 20 of 32 Posts