Motorcycle Forum banner
11921 - 11937 of 11937 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts
Yesterday I ended up with 73.9 miles after winning the picture challenge, stopping by to see the egg lady about supplementing my hens' low winter production ( no luck) , and treating myself to some twisties! Another kindred spirit showed up at the Mexican restaurant, but I suspect I was a lot warmer.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
So, it's a bit long, but follow me on this.
On my Goldwing, to get at the rear wheel or brakes, you need to remove the saddlebags. It's not a big deal, but to remove them, you have to take out six bolts which are inside the bags. But....some genius at Honda thought that making the bags flat black inside was a good idea. (I'd like to get a hold of him!)
It's like looking into a dark hole, trying to see where the bolts are, or anything else in the bags for that matter!
So....
I decided to paint the insides of the bags and trunk bright white.
Yes, I know that the insides will quickly get scratched and dirty. But even scratched dirty white is better than flat black.

Before: Can you see what's in there? Neither can I.
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Boat

The final product: A couple of cans of spray paint and some painter's tape later, MUCH better!!!
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

· Zip
3,191 Posts
I planned out a ride of about 100 miles, and took off. While riding I started smelling burning brakes and the bike was sluggish in 4th gear. I pulled into a parking lot and felt for heat from the brakes. The right front caliper and rotor were too hot to touch (the left front was cool to the touch). So I got a screwdriver out of the tool roll and freed up the brakes as best I could, then turned around and rode home using only the rear brake.

Turns out it was just a bunch of gravel and crud lodged in between the caliper and the pads. I took it all apart, cleaned everything up good and put a bit of brake caliper grease in the right places. Now she's good to go for next time we have a decent day. Which is probably not going to happen for at least another week :( Oh well... At least this gave me a chance to try out the new headlamp I got for Christmas. It sure is nice to be able to see what you're working on without having to hold a light in one hand.

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
getting ready for trackday @ AMP next weekend:

• oil & filter change
  • smaller 4-cel lithium battery instead of 8
  • Galfer brake-pads
  • fork-seal replacement, fork-oil change
  • fitted more of track bodywork

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
Thanks! It's Arizona Motorsports Park

Right next to Luke Airforce Base with F35s taking off. And the neighbors are complaining about noise!!!

Reactions: SemiFast

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
Changed the bald back tire on my 08 Vision to a new (used) Dunlop Elite 4 tire. That tire spent the first 1/2 of it's life on the back of Candy's Chieftain. We changed it last summer before leaving for South Dakota so she had new rubber for the 5000 mile trip, but the tire only had 8k on it so it's less than 1/2 worn. Conveniently enough we use the same rear tire! It rode like a new tire so I'm happy and that tire isn't sitting in the garage going to waste. I love having my own tire machine, makes stuff like this practical.
While I had it off I changed the bearings and seals in the rear wheel, it was time, they were starting to show some signs of wear, but considering they were the originals with 145,000 miles on them I think I got my money's worth, Victory used very good American made bearings in their older bikes before they went to all Chinese parts like everyone else.
I did a dumb thing while doing the bearings, whacked my left index finger with a 5 pound hammer, hurts like heck and the nail is purple, that's the price you pay for clumsiness.

· Zip
3,191 Posts
I did a dumb thing while doing the bearings, whacked my left index finger with a 5 pound hammer, hurts like heck and the nail is purple, that's the price you pay for clumsiness.
Whenever I do something like that, I joke about it: "I tried to flatten that finger out, but all I did was make it bigger."

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
After several days off for "honey do" projects, I got back to the bike again today.
Removed several plastic pieces from the rear that hid other parts. Then I pulled
the saddlebags and finally the mufflers.
Tomorrow will hopefully be a day for cleaning under all that stuff, since you can't
get at it with the bags in place. Then will come removing the rear brake caliper and finally the rear wheel.
All of this is so I can remove the final drive and extract the driveshaft. The splined couplings to the universal joint and to the rear wheel haven't been greased properly in quite a while. I'm sure it needs it.
I want that bike to last a looong time, so I will do unto it so that it won't do unto me.
After this, it should be good for quite a few years.

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
I rolled Bike from by the door to further up in the shop, tucked in next to the bicycle, so I could get the snowblower out.
You have my condolences.
We should be up to our eyeballs in that white....stuff.
So far, hardly a flake all winter.
You got it, and you can HAVE it!

11921 - 11937 of 11937 Posts