Motorcycle Forum banner
11681 - 11700 of 11937 Posts

· Ace Tuner
4,156 Posts
Lots of folks would disagree with that, myself included. Letting an engine run for just a few minutes occasionally is worse for it than just letting it sit.
Moisture collecting in the engine is the problem.
When I was injured, not able to ride much and was still using ethanol fuel I'd take the bike out for about ten miles every two weeks or so. That usually came out to around 1000 miles in about ~ ten months. At my ten month oil change I found the oil "milky" with moisture. Apparently a short warm-up and even a ten mile ride is not enough run time to burn out the moisture that collects in the engine. After that I started doing much longer rides. No milk look in the oil at my ten ~ eleven month oil change.
Starting and running the bike for a few minutes will keep the carburetors from going south but is hard on everything else... Moisture ;)

S F

· Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
451 Posts
When I was injured, not able to ride much and was still using ethanol fuel I'd take the bike out for about ten miles every two weeks or so. That usually came out to around 1000 miles in about ~ ten months. At my ten month oil change I found the oil "milky" with moisture. Apparently a short warm-up and even a ten mile ride is not enough run time to burn out the moisture that collects in the engine. After that I started doing much longer rides. No milk look in the oil at my ten ~ eleven month oil change.
Starting and running the bike for a few minutes will keep the carburetors from going south but is hard on everything else... Moisture ;)

S F
Another reason I like fuel injection.

· Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
1,141 Posts

S F
I don't have that problem .. Deep South Texas , no cold to heat condensation ..., That is the problem there ....

· Registered
2,091 Posts
I believe it's from corrosion on the contacts (from sitting in one position) so I try to keep corrosion away from mine by working the throttle a little daily.
My Aprilia sits for about week - some times two. I take it out on a Sunday up into the mountains if the weather isn't too hot or wet. I might start tweaking the throttle every couple of days, as you suggest.

· Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't understand how that would help , I think it would need to be energized for it to do any good ....
I think SF is onto something. Found this online.

The TPS is essentially a potentiometer in a plastic case and it fails due to poor contact of the wiper. This can cause erratic readings or no readings. It is possible that the vehicle may not accelerate and then suddenly accelerate, indicating erratic contact.

So it seems to me that the physical twisting of the throttle will allow the wiper to clean the contact area.

· Registered
2,091 Posts
Still , dammed confusing to me ...
A TPS is a variable resistor which changes voltage in response to the position of the wiper on the signal wire. As SF is stating, with little use, apparently the signal wire can develop a build up of corrosion if the wiper does not run across it for some time. It makes sense and I'm guessing that this is likely, especially in humid environments like where I live.

Here is a basic pic of the variable resistor.

Azure Sky Rectangle Font Triangle

· Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't understand how that would help , I think it would need to be energized for it to do any good ....
And yes, I believe that you are right. The throttle cable only activates the throttle body valve/s, and the TPS converts the throttle valve angle position into a voltage signal that is sent to the ECU, so just twisting the throttle without the ignition on is not going to activate the TPS wiper, imo - now that I have thought about it..

· Ace Tuner
4,156 Posts
And yes, I believe that you are right. The throttle cable only activates the throttle body valve/s, and the TPS converts the throttle valve angle position into a voltage signal that is sent to the ECU, so just twisting the throttle without the ignition on is not going to activate the TPS wiper, imo - now that I have thought about it..
The TPS is moved by the throttle plates. If twisting the throttle moves the throttle plates, the TPS contacts move too.
Fly By Wire? No.

S F

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,342 Posts
My priorities are God, Family, and Freedom.

$2000 a month rent? Ill be homeless with a moto. Might have to quit riding if i cant figure out these wind noise problems.
My 18 year-old neighbor kid is making $23.50/ hr working graveyard at a cheese manufacturing plant, still living at home,, bought a 2019 Challenger and is making and SAVING money hand over fist. If you left So Cal you could get a job there, buy a nice house around here, save for the future, and still ride your bike almost every day. It's all about choices.

· Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
1,141 Posts
My 18 year-old neighbor kid is making $23.50/ hr working graveyard at a cheese manufacturing plant, still living at home,, bought a 2019 Challenger and is making and SAVING money hand over fist. If you left So Cal you could get a job there, buy a nice house around here, save for the future, and still ride your bike almost every day. It's all about choices.
Looks like his choice is low on the ladder ... Maybe afraid to venture out of family reach ,?
Government handouts ? Lack of confidence ?

· Registered
2,091 Posts
The TPS is moved by the throttle plates. If twisting the throttle moves the throttle plates, the TPS contacts move too.
Fly By Wire? No.

S F
Yes, I realized that after posting - my Aprilia is ride by wire, however I haven't pulled off the TPS to see how it works, and have no intention of doing so unless it fails.

· Zip
3,191 Posts
A TPS is a variable resistor which changes voltage in response to the position of the wiper on the signal wire. As SF is stating, with little use, apparently the signal wire can develop a build up of corrosion if the wiper does not run across it for some time. It makes sense and I'm guessing that this is likely, especially in humid environments like where I live.

Here is a basic pic of the variable resistor.

View attachment 77372
If you ever had a stereo or a radio with a "scratchy" volume knob, that is exactly what happened there. The volume control is a variable resistor, and the part of the resistor where the wiper spends most of its time eventually gets dirty and as a result the resistance variation as you turn the knob is no longer smooth and linear.

· Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
451 Posts
If you ever had a stereo or a radio with a "scratchy" volume knob, that is exactly what happened there. The volume control is a variable resistor, and the part of the resistor where the wiper spends most of its time eventually gets dirty and as a result the resistance variation as you turn the knob is no longer smooth and linear.
Spraying some contact cleaner into the switch and quickly moving it back and forth usually cleans it out.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Then maybe it would clean up with contact cleaner ?

11681 - 11700 of 11937 Posts