Motorcycle Forum banner
11641 - 11660 of 11712 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,421 Posts
Nothing new, just riding into work every day, I swapped bikes from the 2016 to the 2008 today, and realized how much heat I was getting from the heated seat, the 08 doesn't have it and my legs were cold, might be time to get out the heated pants, the jeans I was wearing today didn't quite cut it in 26F without the heated seat, on the 2016 I'm good down to 20F without the overpants.
Still quite a few brave souls riding to the airport.
View attachment 77272 View attachment 77271
And not all of them are riding a mobile sauna like you are! Boy, that IS impressive!!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
For 3 different work sessions in my garage over the last three weeks I have been having a friend help me chase down a slow fuel leak somewhere.

We noticed the gas dripping after we installed the carburetor when it came back from a friend who re-jetted it for me.

I still don't know where the leak is coming from, and I don't know if it happens while we are riding it we've taken the bike out for a couple of short rides up and down my neighborhood street only 2 miles each time then parked it.

If I don't shut off the fuel petcock at the bottom corner of the tank it will drip about one drop of gasoline per second, leading to quite a large puddle when I park the bike overnight.

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX500, 1983 Honda GL650I
88 Posts
If I don't shut off the fuel petcock at the bottom corner of the tank it will drip about one drop of gasoline per second, leading to quite a large puddle when I park the bike overnight.
I suspect you have a float valve that isn't sealing and the spilled gas is coming from the overflow.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Got the Time-Sert installed in my oil pan last Saturday, per Semi-Fast's recommendation. Finally rode today for the first time in about three weeks (That's gotta be a record since having moved here, except for the almost two months my NINJA 1000 was in pieces while I was trying to change out the shift spring), 100+ miles, which felt GREAT--but I've got an oil drip we're trying to chase down. 😩😩😩 SF is helping me troubleshoot that, so hopefully it'll be a simple fix.🤞🤞🤞

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Got the Time-Sert installed in my oil pan last Saturday, per Semi-Fast's recommendation. Finally rode today for the first time in about three weeks (That's gotta be a record since having moved here, except for the almost two months my NINJA 1000 was in pieces while I was trying to change out the shift spring), 100+ miles, which felt GREAT--but I've got an oil drip we're trying to chase down. 😩😩😩 SF is helping me troubleshoot that, so hopefully it'll be a simple fix.🤞🤞🤞
IT'S FIXED!!!! :bigthumb:
All it took was another eighth of a turn with my regular, non- torque wrench! 50 miles or so of errands with stops of 10-30 minutes, no splotches underneath! Guess that proves that my strength allows me to apply the proper amount of torqueage, just like on "My Cousin Vinny".:ROFLMAO:Somebody more tech savvy than I am can post the movie clip.

Edit: Cr*p, 4.5 hours later, it's leaked again.🤬🤬🤬 but it's better than it was. We didn't quite get it flush on the outside towards the rear. It was tough to work on lying on the floor. Guess I'll contact the company to see what my options are (the kit came with five inserts) ,or just live with it. My biggest concern is making it through a long trip because I would be hard pressed to make room for an extra quart of oil. Or I could spring for a new oil pan and dink around with installing it over the winter ((preferably in Porky's ginormous barn:D).

·
On The Road Again!
4,897 Posts
I got out for a short ride myself this morning.
Only about 35 miles, but with the sun shining brightly, it was a nice ride.

Reactions: mike721

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Vehicle Automotive design

Wife and I went out riding with another couple we met on a different forum and they also have a red 2018 SVTC! His is stock with very few mods at all, but am already helping him with that. Drilled out his pipes the other day and he loves the sound!
Today we rode just over 200 miles which officially put me over the 75k mile mark. Now it’s time to inspect/adjust the valve clearance.

·
Biker
1,880 Posts
Well, I managed to get a place to store my bikes for the winter at a storage place, no
heat or power, but nice and dry, all payed for and will be getting them in storage in the
next two weeks.
My Sporty shows oil between the finns so I am thinking a bad gasket, hopefully the one
that would effect compression like a head gasket. I know I have one bad valse seal and I
figure might as well replace both of them, Compression is around a 100 so I am thinking
a ring job would give me well over 120 pounds..
I did put on a new shift lever, still clunks but not grinding.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
The leak saga continues, but I decided that it was safe enough to ride to the next town to meet new riding friends for the annual Christmas parade! I think this is my first parade on a bike. Usually I'm in Bug; driving a stick shift in a parade is a bit challenging, but I have no problem smiling and waving to the crowd as I creep along. In contrast, I had to keep so focused ahead in order to keep my balance that I could barely wave at anyone with my throttle hand from time to time, let alone actually LOOK at the crowd to my sides. And my hands were barely big enough and had to be adjusted to beep the horn occasionally but still use the clutch lever like I needed to. Still, it was fun, and I would do it again! BUT...I had so much strain on my battery from my headlight, Denalis (on low), tail light, blinkers, heated gear, dash, and GPS (which I didn't need, could've turned it off), that when I went to restart it after we had shut down briefly to make supper plans, my bike wouldn't start.:oops::giggle: I think we have an active thread on here that explains why this happens sometimes. We have the same problem with class bikes because they're started and shut down over and over and not ridden very fast for the first four exercises. That's why we often unplug the headlights. Fortunately, we had parked in an electrician company's parking lot and one of the guys was there and jumped my bike with his work truck.(y) I think this picture was taken right before I discovered my dead bike.:giggle:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

And after I got home, I ordered the tool to fix my Time-Sert, so I hope I can ride it to the shop next week and just wait on it to get fixed.🤞🤞🤞

·
Visionary
6,224 Posts
And after I got home, I ordered the tool to fix my Time-Sert, so I hope I can ride it to the shop next week and just wait on it to get fixed.🤞🤞🤞
What tool is used to fix a crooked timesert and what's the proccess?

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
After a long miserable freezing night of homelesness, and being harassed by evil doers, I went for a ride to pickup my new "quiet" shuberth helmet. Its just as loud as all my other expensive helmets. I would like to challenge whoever lied to me to a duel.
Max, please help me understand here. You speak of “homelessness” but have a motorcycle, a 2022 dr650 as you state. You can’t afford a domicile but you speak of “other expensive helmets”, and have enough for gas to “go for a ride”. I would think a place to sleep and eat and warmth would be your 1st priorities. Am I missing something here?
Help me out.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I’m afraid @pdcomm may be right on this one. You won’t be able to re-do the threads straight using the same size unit. Not wnough material to re-cut the threads in the same size hole. 😢
Should’ve been more discerning on initial installation. If you doubt about messing it up again, perhaps a trusted mechanic would be better.
I think the biggest/only problem with the initial install as that we were working on the ground because I don't have a motorcycle lift. Thus, we didn't get it lined up straight. It's going to the mechanic next. My husband looked over the instructions and he gets what's going on, but I can't explain it. :giggle: I know he, of all people, doesn't want me wasting my hard-earned money so he thinks this will do the trick when used by professional hands. I guess we'll find out...🙏🙏🙏

11641 - 11660 of 11712 Posts