Motorcycle Forum banner
11621 - 11640 of 11696 Posts

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
5,147 Posts
The hitch 'hoop' pivots up and down at the motorcycle's rear axle bolt. The axle is hollow, so the trailer's hoop 'skewer' slips through hollow axle and threads in to the hoop on other side.

The trailer can rotate right/left where the hoop attaches to trailer frame. Then the trailer tire is mounted to an assembly that pivots up and down utilizing an attached shock/spring.

I don't even know it's there when riding. Backing is like backing a short tongued single axle bumper pull. It's hard to see in the mirrors(which is what I'm looking at in that photo)

·
Registered
290 Posts
My last ride was Oct 30th and then it snowed on Nov 1st. The snow isn't going anywhere until spring now. So, I warmed up the bike in the garage yesterday and changed the oil. I had previously been using Amsoil Metric synthetic oil, but the price has gotten quite high at $26/quart. I am trying Motul synthetic for next season. I was surprised that it is red in color. That'll make it easier to see on the dipstick! I pressured up the tires, rolled it up on some blocks, hooked up the battery maintainer, and covered until spring. I had already added fuel stabilizer before my last ride so I'm good there.

·
Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,623 Posts
Red Line motor oil is red as well. Wonder if the two are connected somewhere along some corporate line.

·
Visionary
6,224 Posts
Rode into work today, cold but still above freezing, a nice ride in. Snow flurries were falling as I got close to work, pretty but not a good sign :)

Reactions: RogerC60

·
Visionary
6,224 Posts
Red Line motor oil is red as well. Wonder if the two are connected somewhere along some corporate line.
I've never seen colored motor oil , interesting. Must look like transmission fluid.
The fork oil I used on my wife's bike was very dark green though, that was weird but apparently the different weights are color coded by the manufacturer ( belray).

·
28,623 Posts
I’ve only seen green fork oil. Must just be lucky, bound to be other colors.

·
Visionary
6,224 Posts
No snow but 26F on the ride to work this morning, Winter might just stick around this time...

·
Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
461 Posts
It is (plus) five outside my studio this morning - supposedly streaking up to thirty six in the afternoon. I think the wind chill would chew me up if I tried two wheel travel.

·
Visionary
6,224 Posts
No snow but 26F on the ride to work this morning, Winter might just stick around this time...
My ride home went fine but it could have gotten interesting, the forecast called for light rain and 40 degrees at 5pm, and we got that, very light in fact, I didn't even bother with my raingear and I stayed mostly dry.
The almost interesting part was at the end...I was about 1.5 miles from my house, I ride up College Hill after crossing the Delaware River and at the very top I go over a decent ridge, with a nice clear view to the mountains North and West, and here through the drizzle and fog I saw a wall of white approaching.. yep, it was snowing maybe a mile away! That got my attention for sure..I rode home, parked, went inside, and 5 minutes later looked out and the ground was covered in white and it was snowing like a blizzard! It only lasted maybe 20 minutes and amounted to maybe an inch before it turned into heavy rain and washed away, but that would have made the ride up the hill quite interesting if I had been 5 minutes later!
Timing is everything!

·
28,623 Posts
That's too close Mike. I was like you Mike, commuting every day regardless of weather. But there are times you just have to park it and cage it. I used to watch the radar in the morning and do my own predictions of what things might be like 8 - 10 hours later. The weathermen and women tell you what they think you want to know, not what might really happen. Black ice was my major concern this time of year but I have had to ride in snow showers for a bit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A week ago I tripped over the fuel tank of my Shadow vt-1100. Said tank was was sitting on top of a 5 gallon bucket because the bike was disassembled for a carburetor re-jetting.
I put a good size dent in the front right corner of the tank and spilled a few ounces of gas too

2 days ago I had a friend help me put the carburetor back in and hook everything up.

We ran it for five minutes in the garage. I even revv'd the throttle a little bit near the end of that warm-up. And it seemed to work fine at that point. The tank was on but the seat wasn't yet, so then we reattached the seat. And called the job done --the bike could sit until a nice day with decent weather when I would take it for a test ride.

Well, last night I went into the garage and was shocked to see that there was a huge puddle of gasoline on the garage floor.
Luckily there were a few shop rags and a sheet of corrugated cardboard nearby that had absorbed most of it. I probably lost 2 cups of gas. It's my fault for not shutting the fuel petcock to the 'off' position, BUT of course there shouldn't be any leaking fuel anyway,

and it never leaked before we took the carb out.

·
Visionary
6,224 Posts
A week ago I tripped over the fuel tank of my Shadow vt-1100. Said tank was was sitting on top of a 5 gallon bucket because the bike was disassembled for a carburetor re-jetting.
I put a good size dent in the front right corner of the tank and spilled a few ounces of gas too

2 days ago I had a friend help me put the carburetor back in and hook everything up.

We ran it for five minutes in the garage. I even revv'd the throttle a little bit near the end of that warm-up. And it seemed to work fine at that point. The tank was on but the seat wasn't yet, so then we reattached the seat. And called the job done --the bike could sit until a nice day with decent weather when I would take it for a test ride.

Well, last night I went into the garage and was shocked to see that there was a huge puddle of gasoline on the garage floor.
Luckily there were a few shop rags and a sheet of corrugated cardboard nearby that had absorbed most of it. I probably lost 2 cups of gas. It's my fault for not shutting the fuel petcock to the 'off' position, BUT of course there shouldn't be any leaking fuel anyway,

and it never leaked before we took the carb out.
Either you have a simple leak, or else the carburetor float isn't doing it's job and the gas overflowed the fuel bowl. See where it's coming from and act accordingly.

Reactions: maxpressure805

·
28,623 Posts
Dang, that could have been another Jay Leno story. Is it at all possible the dent itself is now a crack in the metal and leaking? Hope not but I’ve seen it happen.

·
Biker
1,880 Posts
Well, The linkage for my forward shifter was so worn I got rid of it. I first ordered
a shifter lever from JP cycles and got it Friday of the same week, I was out doing
errands and figured I'd get the trckg # later and find out where it is and it here already.
So it was easy installing the new one, kind of weird shifing as it's bretty much below
my knee.
But it hardly grinds now, I read somewhere about pre-loading the shifter by placing
some but not too much pressure on it and letting off gas and shifitng then rolling
on gas as I let the clutch out.I am trying to think this out as I know part of the tranny
is spinning very fast from the tire, so, to match speed to engine for a less clunkier
shift.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
569 Posts
Well, The linkage for my forward shifter was so worn I got rid of it. I first ordered
a shifter lever from JP cycles and got it Friday of the same week, I was out doing
errands and figured I'd get the trckg # later and find out where it is and it here already.
So it was easy installing the new one, kind of weird shifing as it's bretty much below
my knee.
But it hardly grinds now, I read somewhere about pre-loading the shifter by placing
some but not too much pressure on it and letting off gas and shifitng then rolling
on gas as I let the clutch out.I am trying to think this out as I know part of the tranny
is spinning very fast from the tire, so, to match speed to engine for a less clunkier
shift.
Don’t need to worry about engine speed except when down shifting. Otherwise when shifting up, a brief quick off throttle and shift (don’t forget clutch) and roll on it.
Pulling the clutch lever in disconnects the motor output from the shaft or output drive, so you do t need to worry about rear wheel speed when shifting UP. Speed becomes a factor when down shifting.

·
Visionary
6,224 Posts
Nothing new, just riding into work every day, I swapped bikes from the 2016 to the 2008 today, and realized how much heat I was getting from the heated seat, the 08 doesn't have it and my legs were cold, might be time to get out the heated pants, the jeans I was wearing today didn't quite cut it in 26F without the heated seat, on the 2016 I'm good down to 20F without the overpants.
Still quite a few brave souls riding to the airport.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire Cone Gas

11621 - 11640 of 11696 Posts