Motorcycle Forum banner
11361 - 11380 of 11456 Posts

·
Biker
1,834 Posts
When I got back from mom's I adjusted the rear brake linkage and brought the
pedal up to where it was at one time, MC will need new brake fluid, it did stick a bit
so I sprayed with WD-40 and tapped with a hammer. I am getting some brake and
it's not sticking, but will have Harley do the rear brake, I do what I know about,

·
Biker
1,834 Posts
I took the Snorty out, 36-mile ride, some Hi-way, picked up oil n filter, and will
do that in a few days after I take her for a spin first. got a time slot w HD for
them to check rear brake to see what I need to get them where they should be.
will also have throttle n clutch cables greased and a new spring for kickstand.
good maint. pays off with a lot few surprises.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Plan on a short morning ride and then will be getting the 10 year old (!!!) tires off and putting on a set of Pilot Power 2CT's on, as well as 90 degree valve stems. That'll be my workout for the day! 😓

·
Biker
1,834 Posts
I took the Snorty out, 36-mile ride, some Hi-way, picked up oil n filter, and will
do that in a few days after I take her for a spin first. got a time slot w HD for
them to check rear brake to see what I need to get them where they should be.
will also have throttle n clutch cables greased and a new spring for a kickstand.
though HD calls it a jiffy stand. Good maint. pays off by means of a lot less
surprises.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Plan on a short morning ride and then will be getting the 10 year old (!!!) tires off and putting on a set of Pilot Power 2CT's on, as well as 90 degree valve stems. That'll be my workout for the day! 😓
I would have hit the "WOW" icon but my tires are the same age. Plan on replacing them this winter, just hoping I don't have any problems until then.

My cousin, the one that sold his Softail last year because he figured he was done riding, recently bought himself an '04 Wide Glide. He found the date code on one of his tires, 4803. It's got the original tires on it, and only 7,000 miles.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,683 Posts
When you all say 10 years, you talking 10 years from manufacturer's date, or 10 years in use?

I noticed with my new Bridgestone tires, the paperwork says most manufacturers consider tires to be new for 5 years if stored properly, out of sun light.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I noticed with my new Bridgestone tires, the paperwork says most manufacturers consider tires to be new for 5 years if stored properly, out of sun light.
I've never heard that^ before .

The following should be common knowledge :
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and official manufacturers suggest a tire is only 100% safe to use until it turns 5-6 years old. "

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
My cousin, the one that sold his Softail last year because he figured he was done riding, recently bought himself an '04 Wide Glide. He found the date code on one of his tires, 4803. It's got the original tires on it, and only 7,000 miles.
Okay, that is a "Wow!"

When you all say 10 years, you talking 10 years from manufacturer's date, or 10 years in use?

The tires were manufactured 38th week of 2012. Still had a good bit of tread on them, no cracking, and were fairly pliable. I rode my back roads briskly but not as fast as normal. They held up fine but, with a track day coming up next month, I wanted to get the new rubber on and broken in, nice and comfy!

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and official manufacturers suggest a tire is only 100% safe to use until it turns 5-6 years old. "
Can't remember which channel did a test on 7 year old sport bike tires. They had been kept in a climate controlled storeroom but held up on the track with little discernable difference from new. Of course, 10 years in a garage, much less outside, is hardly the same, so that's probably a good overall guideline....

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,683 Posts

They musta never bought tires at Walmart. I've seen new ones bad off the shelf. I'll use my own judgement, I don't particularly need yet another government agency giving me advice.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
They musta never bought tires at Walmart. I've seen new ones bad off the shelf. I'll use my own judgement, I don't particularly need yet another government agency giving me advice.
Lol! Yeah, gotta remember that gov't recommendations are based on the lowest common denominator and, as I find almost every day, that common denominator keeps getting lower... and lower... and lower. I don't think there is a bottom to that hole.

·
Biker
1,834 Posts
Well, I took the Snorty out for a quickie, its about 75 out, so no need to go a long
way to heat engine to change oil and filter, this week she gets checked to see what
she needs for the rear brakes, she has some but I think the age of the brake fluid from
what I am told has a fair bit to play and maybe new pads. I will let HD decide what is
the best route for this. I am going to take her out for a short ride.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Rode to church again this morning. Was in lower 70's when I left, lower 90's when I got home. When I got home I left the bike parked outside. I noticed some bug splatters that need removing and some more wax won't hurt anything. But first, lunch, got to let the bike cool off.

·
Biker
1,834 Posts
Well, I did take her out for a 45 mile ride on back roads, It was a nice enjoyable ride,
speed was between 35 and 50, I had my legs stretched out, she has a lot of power
and good pick-up yeah she will be getting a lot of road time for sure. After the rear
brake is done, I'll take the back roads to Taunton and get a few chilli unyin hot dawgz
at Tex Barry's Coney Island. that will be a nice 90 mile ride.

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
372 Posts
I just wore out set of BT45s on my commuter bike. Got 16K-miles out of set of 2009 tyres!

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
474 Posts
In my younger days I ran old tires until I saw cords no matter the age . Never had a failure , couple of scary skids , But survived them all ....Not today , at 70 , I can afford tires , I like my Shinkos , little over 10,000 mi. No problem ....

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
372 Posts
Shinkos are amazing tyres. Then again any modern silica-based tyre is lightyears ahead of tyres from just couple decades ago. More grip, more mileage, doesn't heat cycle and age like previous generations. Like Ari's video, I've taken really old tyres out to track and was amazed at how well they performed.

Met up with some buddies this morning for Vietnamese iced-coffee.

Then we rode up to top of South Mountain.

View from top.

Zooming in on pano, can see downtown Phoenix!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Well, I did take her out for a 45 mile ride on back roads, It was a nice enjoyable ride,
speed was between 35 and 50, I had my legs stretched out, she has a lot of power
and good pick-up yeah she will be getting a lot of road time for sure. After the rear
brake is done, I'll take the back roads to Taunton and get a few chilli unyin hot dawgz
at Tex Barry's Coney Island. that will be a nice 90 mile ride.
With mustard!

11361 - 11380 of 11456 Posts