Motorcycle Forum banner
10761 - 10780 of 10798 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Another perfect riding day here, I have year round riding in Ontario just use tire studs and you can go anywhere right now you go in summer plus ride the frozen lakes :cool: 7 riders showed up again today to play plus one guy came with a chainsaw just to cut trails.
... I did have one spectacular crash, drove my number plate hard into a large tree when I turned down Toad hill with way too much speed on and that twisted the forks around a little but no real damage to me or the bike (y) definitely trying hard enough stuff this winter :LOL: I think that's my second or maybe third crash this week.

·
Biker
1,645 Posts
Well, although the temp was around 38 or so Wed I registered the wide glide on fone and yesterday
I took her out for a spin. . .damn that was nice. . .and cold, But I had dressed for it and I really enjoyed
the ride. I have the 31 year old Sporty out front and well covered. I have a new tail lite and am gonna
have a blast wiring it up. I do have the service manual and a few pair of half-glasses as H-D decided
to put the whole diagram on one page. The lines representing wires seem to be a few thousandths of
an inch apart. Good going H-D!

·
Visionary
5,535 Posts
Well, although the temp was around 38 or so Wed I registered the wide glide on fone and yesterday
I took her out for a spin. . .damn that was nice. . .and cold, But I had dressed for it and I really enjoyed
the ride. I have the 31 year old Sporty out front and well covered. I have a new tail lite and am gonna
have a blast wiring it up. I do have the service manual and a few pair of half-glasses as H-D decided
to put the whole diagram on one page. The lines representing wires seem to be a few thousandths of
an inch apart. Good going H-D!
It's amazing how much good even a short ride does in the winter, it totally changes my mood when I can ride. Glad you got one in!

·
Biker
1,645 Posts
It's amazing how much good even a short ride does in the winter, it totally changes my mood when I can ride. Glad you got one in!
YUP, bein in the mancave is nice, but even better when ya get out of it for an hour or two, a bit of a
"High' really. I did see another hearty rider out there. I plan on riding into my 70eez.

·
Visionary
5,535 Posts
Just the usual back and forth to work, it was a relative heatwave today at 31F at 0430, and it's actually going to be above freezing for the ride home, imagine that!
I'm pretty good at all weather riding but I think I found a tougher rider than me, there's a guy at work that's still commuting on his bike too, but he rides a naked Svartpilen 701 with no fairing or heated gear that I saw. You can see his bike hiding behind mine this morning. I don't know him, I saw him walking away once as I arrived and that's about it but based on this the guy must be superhero material.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
26,798 Posts
That's the one thing I actually miss about being retired, those commute hours. Sometimes I was on such autopilot that I couldn't remember even riding parts of the ride. Sorta spooky that a person could be , that gone. But it happened quite often. The morning fog run I didn't care much for but I got to know several truckers. Well, by their CB handle anyway, not that I actually met any of them. Most of the time they were just barely above the fog so could see quite well. But yeah, I do miss the daily commute.

Reactions: mike721

·
Short Fuse
898 Posts
I finally got around to replacing my flint-stone hard Pirelli Angels with a set of Mitas Sport Force Plus tyres. They have good reviews on a few forums, online and on YouTube, and they were considerably cheaper than other well known brands.

Apparently they are made in Slovenia and Mitas claim to have been making motorcycle tyres since the 40's - I had never heard of them until last year. They are a singe compound tyre and seem pretty soft, so grip should be good, but probably low mileage. Doesn't really matter to me about the mileage as I don't do high mileage on the Shiver anyway.

It was a bit of a pity to see the Angels go with about 60% tread left - but they were old and hard and I didn't feel comfortable/safe riding on them, especially with the roads and weather here.

Hopefully tomorrow it will be fine and I can take the bike for a spin to try them out.

·
Short Fuse
898 Posts
I have the 31 year old Sporty out front and well covered. I have a new tail lite and am gonna
have a blast wiring it up. I do have the service manual and a few pair of half-glasses as H-D decided to put the whole diagram on one page. The lines representing wires seem to be a few thousandths of an inch apart. Good going H-D!
What year is the Sporty?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Finally rec'd the seal I ordered 8 days ago for my FA50 rear drive shaft .
I ended up ordering a seal with 21 mm inside diameter , as I couldn't find a 22 mm ( what the book calls for ) .
I also replaced the rear drive main beaning with an SKF . The old bearing seemed in good shape but for the side seals having cracks .
I had the rear end back together with just enough time to put my tools away before dark .

I have a piston set that I want to install , but , high winds today . I'll wait a minute . ;)

·
On The Road Again!
4,462 Posts
Just woke up to ZERO DEGREES on the thermometer here.
ARRGGGHH!!!
Is it spring yet?

·
Short Fuse
898 Posts
28 C today - low cloud, looked like rain but I took the Aprilia out to test the new tyres anyway. They aren't fully scrubbed in yet but on the ride back from the mountains I was caning the bike more than I would on the Pirellis. I had forgotten how hard tyres transmit the road surface through your bike - with the new softer tyres - the bike felt so much smoother on the ride. I'm liking them a lot.

·
Biker
1,645 Posts
As I understand it, the Evo 883 and 1200 were identical except for the CC capacity, so maybe this wiring diag might help with the tail-light:

View attachment 72152
View attachment 72153
Thankyou very much, altho mine is a 91 I think most of it will be exact, I do remember
the wires being red and orange. . . 23 degreez up here in Mass. so I won't be doing this today
but I am going to study this very carefully so that when i start working on it, It will be clear as
to how its wired. Thanks again, I can do this! might take time but it can be done. Much thanks!

·
Biker
1,645 Posts
Thankyou very much, altho mine is a 91 I think most of it will be exact, I do remember
the wires being red and orange. . . 23 degreez up here in Mass. so I won't be doing this today
but I am going to study this very carefully so that when i start working on it, It will be clear as
to how its wired. Thanks again, I can do this! might take time but it can be done. Much thanks!
Quite interesting! anutha hot leg or 12+ running thru harness down to rear br. sw then connects
to red wire from tail/brake lite. YUP I'll have her ready for inspection thanks again.

10761 - 10780 of 10798 Posts