Motorcycle Forum banner
10481 - 10500 of 10541 Posts

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Today was a GREAT riding day!
I rode over to my buddy's place to help him pull the rear wheel off of his Goldwing.
It's time for a new tire. We were going to change it ourselves, but we found that a local tire shop does motorcycle tires and will change it and balance it for $25.
That's a no brainer.
By tomorrow, he should be back on the road.
And best of all, the new alternator on my Goldwing is alternatin' just fine!
(sigh) All is well with the world.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Yes it was a great day for riding :cool:
had a new rider here today on an enduro bike and that's always entertaining, holy did that poor guy ever struggle

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am a bonehead. I filled up the tank and once back on the road remembered I had not reset the trip odometer to zero. I usually do this to help estimate how much is left in the tank and my probable range before the next fuel stop. Well, my trip odometer is the mechanical kind you roll back by turning the knob...I turned it the wrong way - while riding - and unscrewed the knob. Yup it fell out and was instantly lost. Dang it. Thats what I did to my bike...don't do it, I didn't like it much.

·
Biker
1,625 Posts
I took a short ride, went to hardware store to buy spare fuses for the wideglide, never blew one
but ya neva know. . .Murphy and his law could be out there, saying those fuses have lasted 6 yrs
now. . . so she takes 2 of the smaller bus fuses, light blue at 15 amps and one main 40 amp fuse.
sometimes it's something simple that dayum if I had one, I could be back on the road instead of
having to thumb a ride to an auto parts place. . .or maybe a fellow rider needs one. . .

·
Registered
109 Posts
I took a short ride, went to hardware store to buy spare fuses for the wideglide, never blew one
but ya neva know. . .Murphy and his law could be out there, saying those fuses have lasted 6 yrs
now. . . so she takes 2 of the smaller bus fuses, light blue at 15 amps and one main 40 amp fuse.
sometimes it's something simple that dayum if I had one, I could be back on the road instead of
having to thumb a ride to an auto parts place. . .or maybe a fellow rider needs one. . .
You know you can make a temporary fuse with most any kind of aluminum foil , like in a cigarette pack or chewing gum .
Even a short piece of wire , but feel that wire after you put it in to make sure it's not getting hot . If it is , find the short and fix it .

·
Biker
1,625 Posts
You know you can make a temporary fuse with most any kind of aluminum foil , like in a cigarette pack or chewing gum .
Even a short piece of wire , but feel that wire after you put it in to make sure it's not getting hot . If it is , find the short and fix it .
Yup and if one carries some bits of wire in their tool kit that could work for say running lamps,
but if one decides to carry some wire, why not just carry spare fuses. you do have some merrit
in what you say, find the short and fix it. . . good if it's during the day and if u have a good flashlight
at night when things could go uphill, might be an easy fix. Also the way a fuse opens up is a great
way to know what happened. if it is clear and u see the melted link, it was 99% an overload. If it was
all blackened, yup that was a direct short circuit or a very heavy load on a low amps rated fuse.
say u hooked up a stereo that called for a 7.5 amp fuse. it works great hour after hour of cruising,
then one day u hook up on the same circuit some nice purple under carriage ltg. an hor or so later
no stereo or nice purple ltg and the fuse is not blackened, it may have been passing 6 amps just a
bit too long that is why it just melted, but if a hot wire touched the frame, there'd be so low a resistance
a heavy current would have blown the fuse very quickly.

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Installed some new 4 inch LED driving lights on my 16 Vision. Damn these things are BRIGHT and the beam goes out for a long way! I tried them out on the Highway and I liked them so much I ordered a set for my 08, I still have to install those.
The only drawback is these lights are so bright I saw way too many deer lurking on the sides of the highway, so many it’s making me nervous. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,488 Posts
Mike, I've got something similar on my AT, it's hard to got back to a bike with less light.

I'm looking for some not so obvious to put on my CBR.

·
Zip
2,523 Posts
I replaced one of the underglow LED strips under the front fender. A couple of years ago I had not yet learned about the bad things that happen to a wire bundle when you snug a zip tie too tightly around it. Last week I noticed that one of the lights on the front wheel was shining blue (or not shining at all) when all the other lights were white. Yep, broken wires. Fortunately I had a couple of strips left over from the kit so it was no big deal. And, it gave me an opportunity to test how well the adhesive was holding up after a couple of years. I had to tug pretty hard to get the old strip loose.

·
Registered
109 Posts
but if one decides to carry some wire, why not just carry spare fuses.
Spare fuses are always a good add to the kit . A length of wire is also a good idea . It can be used to replace that burnt wire you found or even tie a loose whatever up until it can be properly repaired .
We have to remember that not every biker carries a tool kit or is totally prepared for what ever might happen .

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
904 Posts
Yesterday I did a candy run down to Eureka Springs and saw one of my graduates at my lunch stop. (y) Rain here the next three days, so I'm trying to make myself clean my windows (covered porch or patio for all but the one in the loft, so no excuse to just sit around on the motorcycle forum...:rolleyes:). Two down, 20 to go...:eek:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,543 Posts
Installed some new 4 inch LED driving lights on my 16 Vision. Damn these things are BRIGHT and the beam goes out for a long way! I tried them out on the Highway and I liked them so much I ordered a set for my 08, I still have to install those.
The only drawback is these lights are so bright I saw way too many deer lurking on the sides of the highway, so many it’s making me nervous. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An old trucker in WV once told me to angle those lights a degree or two to the side to freeze deer on the side of the road. I did that and never hit a deer in the next 5 years I had that car. He told me that after I had hit a deer on the highway.

Reactions: mike721

·
American Legion Rider
26,024 Posts
An old trucker in WV once told me to angle those lights a degree or two to the side to freeze deer on the side of the road. I did that and never hit a deer in the next 5 years I had that car. He told me that after I had hit a deer on the highway.
I've always done that just so I was sure not to be aiming at oncoming traffic. But seeing blues eyes, well they look blue to me, more often is a little disconcerting.

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
I've always done that just so I was sure not to be aiming at oncoming traffic. But seeing blues eyes, well they look blue to me, more often is a little disconcerting.
That's how mine are set, both biased a bit to the right.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
904 Posts
I have a pair of Denali D4s mounted next to the frame sliders. They really pick up the shoulders and they're super bright so I can see critters much sooner. (y) In the daytime they create a triangle of light which helps me stand out better. And they're connected to my high beams and passing switch, too. You can see them really well in my avatar.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Got to test ride a brand new 2022 Electric Motion Race today, the one with a clutch :cool: sweet ride.
Clutch made all the difference, they have it set to engage way too early on the lever pull but with a little sorting that motorcycle really rocks (y)(y) it has 3 settings I like the 300 mode.

One issue was the meter says you still have 100% charge, and no way after the first hour or so was it 100%, so the rider was concerned about when it was suddenly going to conk out. He's going to have the dealer look into that one.

They are far from silent btw, they make that really strange whale sound when you rev it up and pin it at something big.

10481 - 10500 of 10541 Posts