Motorcycle Forum banner
10441 - 10460 of 10541 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Stator windings on a 2017??
You may have been looking at the wrong thing. A 2017 is a GL-1800. Different bike but a 2017 is similar to mine with a car type alternator. You buy the entire alternator.
... " Stator windings on a 2017?? " ...
Yeah, It looks more like a field coil but I guess it is just a stationary stator. (Inside the alternator). Honda calls the part stator in the parts diagram for the 2017 that I looked at. The 1999 has something similar.
My parts supplier shows the 1999 alternator as being available form Honda. Sometimes their availability information is slow to catch up though. Is that the case here?
You can buy internal parts for them. (If not discontinued).

S F

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Hey all :D the 2-day event was a Huge success both days, despite rain on both days, checkers were awesome, riders performed awesome under the conditions and I even had the opportunity to ride minder for Sean Bird on his last lap after he broke his ribs. Said he could feel the ribs popping in and out so I strapped a neoprene life vest on him real tight and he finished the trial like that, rode beyond awesome.

I didn't get a chance to take photos or video but I'm sure others did. Results are posted up on the ATA site

·
Registered
109 Posts
No, no bad bearings. But what IS happening is that the oil seal in the alternator is failing and letting motor oil get into the alternator. Both of these were dripping oil when I pulled them out.
If you can remove the inadequate seal(s) , you might consider finding a seal with an inside diameter that's a MM smaller than what's there . That MM will simply create a better seal for a longer time .

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
If you can remove the inadequate seal(s) , you might consider finding a seal with an inside diameter that's a MM smaller than what's there . That MM will simply create a better seal for a longer time .
Pretty sure that is not going to work on a main bearing seal, it's not an o-ring, it's a lip seal. If you buy a main bearing seal that is meant for a 1mm smaller diameter bearing and shaft, you will be buying the wrong size seal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pretty sure that is not going to work on a main bearing seal, it's not an o-ring, it's a lip seal. If you buy a main bearing seal that is meant for a 1mm smaller diameter bearing and shaft, you will be buying the wrong size seal.
That's the idea . A tighter seal . Buy a seal with the correct outer diameter and width , just the inner diameter should be 1 mm smaller .
I've done exactly that on a motor crankshaft lip seal and it has been functioning very nicely for the last 6 or 7 years . ;)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
That's the idea . A tighter seal . Buy a seal with the correct outer diameter and width , just the inner diameter should be 1 mm smaller .
I've done exactly that on a motor crankshaft lip seal and it has been functioning very nicely for the last 6 or 7 years . ;)
A lip seal is shaped and dimensioned to precisely fit the shaft. Never heard of somebody running the wrong sized bottom end seal to make it work better, so what are you doing, stretching the rubber more? You are a true pioneer in the field of lip seals and I can't see how that would not cause premature wear on the seal, but if it works for you go for it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A lip seal is shaped and dimensioned to precisely fit the shaft. Never heard of somebody running the wrong sized bottom end seal to make it work better, so what are you doing, stretching the rubber more? You are a true pioneer in the field of lip seals and I can't see how that would not cause premature wear on the seal, but if it works for you go for it.
I thought a bit more about it last night and determined that I was wrong .
The mm smaller seal has been in use and performing in excellent fashion not for just 6 or 7 years , but , for over 9 years .

To answer your question on stretching the 'rubber' , yes , that's exactly what happens .
And , after 9 years of flawless service , there are absolutely no regrets . ;)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I thought a bit more about it last night and determined that I was wrong .
The mm smaller seal has been in use and performing in excellent fashion not for just 6 or 7 years , but , for over 9 years .

To answer you r question on stretching the 'rubber' , yes , that's exactly what happens .
And , after 9 years of service , there are absolutely no regrets . ;)
That's some good rubber you have there, you should package it and sell them in large quantities.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's some good rubber you have there, you should package it and sell them in large quantities.
It may not be rubber . It might be some composite of plastics ( likely ) . I really don't know .
I do know the 'technique' works a charm . ;)

I have to ask : Do you ever speed or add or lessen ingredients when cooking or change any procedure from given directions ?
Don't answer that^ . I'm just trying to make a point :: NOTHING is written in stone , but , for the Ten Commandments and the build date of some buildings . Oh , almost forgot about grave stones . ;)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I was only looking at it from an engineering standpoint,
and from experience with rubber products on motorcycles which is not great.
If the main bearing seal can be improved by making it undersized by 1mm and still do the job :unsure: why did SKF not do that in the first place

Plastics come from oil products that came from a tree that lived billions of years ago and rubber comes from a rubber tree that is alive. Not a lot of difference in the realm of things.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How many engineers do you know that actually have to work on what they say works ? LOL .
It doesn't matter why SKF did what they did . The truth is , it works . ;)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
How many engineers do you know that actually have to work on what they say works ? LOL .
It doesn't matter why SKF did what they did . The truth is , it works . ;)
Only the ones that get paid to do it.
Their designs have to go through proving,
that's why one of my engineer buddies is not here riding with me today, one of his designs is going through proving tests and he wants to be there. I would prefer he retire and ride more but he still likes the work so go for it.

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Decided to finally fix the one ( out of 4) non working brake light bulbs on my 08. It’s a bit more work getting to the bulbs on a vision than most bikes so I kept putting it off. I’m on vacation this week and staying home so I had the time to tackle it.
Turned out the bulb was fine, it was a corroded socket that needed cleaning, I ended up doing them all.
All 6 taillight bulbs work now, and I did an oil change on it too.
Good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Only the ones that get paid to do it.
Their designs have to go through proving,
that's why one of my engineer buddies is not here riding with me today, one of his designs is going through proving tests and he wants to be there. I would prefer he retire and ride more but he still likes the work so go for it.
Good for your buddy .
I'd definitely want to be there for any testing . Testing is the fun part and a good result is the best reward . (y)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,543 Posts
That Vision is just screaming for LED strip lights Mike.

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
I'd love to convert but LEDs don't play nice with the old fashioned control module ( a mix of relays and electronics) for the taillights on Visions. It's common topic in Vision forums, and just about everyone that tried ends up with a mess of resistors, jumper wires, new relays, and it still usually stops the cruise control from working..if the module doesn't burn out.
Rather than jumping into that quagmire I just change all 10 bulbs ( 6 rear, 4 front) every time more than one burns out. This time it wasn't even a bulb, just corrosion, so I didn't change anything, I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

·
American Legion Rider
26,024 Posts
I didn't change anything, I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.
Good luck with that. But even if you change them all again there is no guarantee one wouldn't go out in a few days or weeks. Does the Vision have that Can-Bus system or something else? I have to be real careful with my Indian.

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Yeah, same Canbus system as Indian but older and even more poorly implemented and cranky, and early production 08s like mine have totally different wiring than later 08s and going forwards, they have quirks… at 130k miles and working fine I fear upsetting the Apple cart by changing anything.
The older Indians had issues too, especially that first year or two. A friend of mine with a 2014 Chief had a heck of a fight with his bike after the dealer installed higher wattage headlights at his request. All sorts of error messages, no high beams, only high beams, no driving lights, warning lights were coming up They tried several software upgrades, then even changing the bulbs back to stock didn’t fix it. Eventually under warranty with advice from engineering they gave him the LED upgrade for all 3 lights and yet another software flash and that combination did the trick, but it was a frustrating experience, it took months. His bike was one of the early ones that had this recall too, which I’m sure was involved somehow in the debacle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
I went for a nice ride today and it was a beautiful morning to ride made even more so by a delicious breakfast at my Fav little country restaurant in Liberal, MO, 37 miles away:

Food Table Tableware Plate Dishware

I left at 8:30 AM and it was 65 degrees and returned at 11:30 and it was 80. It was windy at maybe 10 mph from the SW. Bright blue skies was the icing on the cake.

The entire 74 mile roundtrip ride was on Rural roads through Farm country. It is odd that on the entire trip, I bet I didn't see 20 other vehicles! It is nice to live in the Heartland.

Love my Tricycle.

Sam:)

10441 - 10460 of 10541 Posts