Motorcycle Forum banner
10321 - 10340 of 10364 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
That poor Goldwing! LOL!!! It does go to show what even a big bike is capable of in the hands of a serious abuser! I need to show video that to a few folks who were all upset because one of our recent rides accidently included about 2 miles of a gravel road and it was kind of washed out and muddy. You can tell who never rode on anything but smooth asphalt before :)
Biggest thing I've found is in my limited experience with a much lighter bike is having confidence and keep on the throttle. Once you start to doubt yourself things tend to go south. I haven't watched any of the clips of Pol Tarres doing the Romaniacs this year on the T7 but I'm sure it'd be entertaining.

On my Saturday ride to snag a picture for a challenge game on Adv Rider I ended up riding on some gravel paths (not like that Goldwing rider was doing, though). I also had to get over onto the grass to let an oncoming pickup truck get by on the one-lane gravel path. So I took the opportunity to practice standing on the pegs and letting the bike find its way through the gravel. This is on my R1150RT by the way. Over time I'm getting more comfortable taking this big heavy bike on soft surfaces. (Not ready to start drifting in the corners yet though.)
I was probably up in your neck of the woods on Saturday. Doing the TATR-TOT tracks from advrider up above Cadiz. It all starts somewhere :). I'm sure that there's a lot of stuff on youtube out there but one of my favorites to watch riding the big bikes is Sterling Noren's films. Generally nothing too crazy but I admire the guys that can toss around those big beemers off road, and dig them out when they're in trouble.

·
Zip
2,442 Posts
I was probably up in your neck of the woods on Saturday. Doing the TATR-TOT tracks from advrider up above Cadiz.
Yeah, I see that route winds its way over to Wellsville. That's where I was.

My brother owns the place in WV where our dad grew up, we use it as kind of a family retreat. My wife donated two old dirt bikes to the cause and one of my nephews is working on getting them up and running. I want to get down there and learn how to ride on the dirt!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Ya know, that trials and dirt bike stuff sounds expensive and painful.
I'll stick to dangerous street riding.
I go out and ride hundreds of miles, week after week and never break anything.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
If you're not crashing you're not trying hard enough stuff

Wait until you see photos of the national champion sections :alien: the bikes are only about 11 grand and they destroy very slowly, Trials bike travel distance is measured in vertical meters.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
827 Posts
Why was she doing 25 in the first place?
The exercise calls for 20-25mph in a straightaway, then slowing with both brakes before a curve (it's about a 15mph curve, but no speed is specified for it), then having a steady speed through a circuit consisting of curves with various radii, using a middle-middle-middle path. She never slowed.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,437 Posts
The exercise calls for 20-25mph in a straightaway, then slowing with both brakes before a curve (it's about a 15mph curve, but no speed is specified for it), then having a steady speed through a circuit consisting of curves with various radii, using a middle-middle-middle path. She never slowed.
Ouch, I don't remember that exercise.

·
On The Road Again!
4,106 Posts
Biggest thing I've found is in my limited experience with a much lighter bike is having confidence and keep on the throttle. Once you start to doubt yourself things tend to go south.
With me on my Goldwing, it isn't the confidence. It's that I don't have the strength to fight that big thing in rough conditions. Wish I did. It would make me a much better rider on it.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yeah, I see that route winds its way over to Wellsville. That's where I was.

My brother owns the place in WV where our dad grew up, we use it as kind of a family retreat. My wife donated two old dirt bikes to the cause and one of my nephews is working on getting them up and running. I want to get down there and learn how to ride on the dirt!
What model bikes are they, holler if you need help.

·
Registered
479 Posts
With me on my Goldwing, it isn't the confidence. It's that I don't have the strength to fight that big thing in rough conditions. Wish I did. It would make me a much better rider on it.
Yeah... Those are big bikes lol. Like I said, I don't know about the big bikes, just used to my 300ish lb 350. I'm sure those big machines are a whole different ball game.

·
On The Road Again!
4,106 Posts
Yeah... Those are big bikes lol. Like I said, I don't know about the big bikes, just used to my 300ish lb 350. I'm sure those big machines are a whole different ball game.
They certainly are. My Wing weighs about as much as three of your bikes.
On the highway, it's absolute heaven. But you do NOT want to go off road with it.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
They certainly are. My Wing weighs about as much as three of your bikes.
On the highway, it's absolute heaven. But you do NOT want to go off road with it.
Your Wing weighs about 6 Trials bikes, but you do Not want to take a Trials bike on the highway unless it's in a pickup truck, on a trailer or strapped to your cars rear bumper. You could trailer two behind your Wing and they go anywhere you have the stones to ride them off road once you get there :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
What did I do with my bike(s) today?

Rode one and found I need to replace its headlight .
Washed one and put it on the trailer in preparation for traveling south .
The third I put on the trailer to keep the second company .
The one I ride daily will go on the trailer the day before we hit the road , again . ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sad, but I placed an old poly bed sheet over my washed, serviced, and tanked up 2019 Honda CMX 500 for the season. Might ride it again some before fall/winter rain, ice, and snow hit tho. But probably not. Life sure is boring when you can't ride.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Bought oil for the wife's (never riden by her, yet) Sportster. Hope to get it changed tomorrow. Got 2 PGR rides coming up on Thursday and Saturday.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Sad, but I placed an old poly bed sheet over my washed, serviced, and tanked up 2019 Honda CMX 500 for the season. Might ride it again some before fall/winter rain, ice, and snow hit tho. But probably not. Life sure is boring when you can't ride.
I refuse to comply with winter. The discovery of studded tires opened up a whole new riding experience :cool: Ice is nice, bring on the freezing rain.

10321 - 10340 of 10364 Posts