Motorcycle Forum banner
10281 - 10300 of 10364 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I gave her a pat on her solo cowl, turned off the garage light, and walked out to drive my truck to work in the rain...it is sunny now and I am really pissy about it.

·
On The Road Again!
4,106 Posts
The crappy weather service strikes again.
Looked at the tv weather when I got up.
They said that it would be cloudy with a slight chance of a few sprinkles.
Yeah, right.
It's been raining lightly for hours now.
(sigh)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,437 Posts
Any1 ever hear from I- M -No- Angel? he was a good moderator.
I keep in touch with him. He and his wife just got back a couple of weeks ago from their annual 2 week bike trip. They are both doing well.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
827 Posts
I gave her a pat on her solo cowl, turned off the garage light, and walked out to drive my truck to work in the rain...it is sunny now and I am really pissy about it.
Been there, done that. :giggle:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Been there, done that. :giggle:
My motto has been "I'd rather ride to work in the rain than drive home in the sun" I broke my own rule and I know better. It is sunny and 75F with no wind or humidity and I will be heading home soon. I deserve to have to drive the truck home for my transgressions. I was not the real deal today and I apologize to all.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,447 Posts
The crappy weather service strikes again.
Looked at the tv weather when I got up.
They said that it would be cloudy with a slight chance of a few sprinkles.
Yeah, right.
It's been raining lightly for hours now.
(sigh)
Rain riding is actually fun when its planned, but make sure you have decent tread, and a helmet. But when you are not prepaired for it, it absoutly sux!

Reactions: Trials

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
My motto has been "I'd rather ride to work in the rain than drive home in the sun" I broke my own rule and I know better. It is sunny and 75F with no wind or humidity and I will be heading home soon. I deserve to have to drive the truck home for my transgressions. I was not the real deal today and I apologize to all.
Apologize??? For what??? I'm sure most of us avoid riding in the rain when we can (I know I do!). It's all part of risk management. Once I had to teach MC class on a Saturday when the forecast was for rain, a northeasterly wind, and 40s all day. I had an hour's drive each way and I thought, what the heck, I'll be in it all day anyway, I'll just ride. My bike (2010 Honda NT700V sport tourer) had a windscreen and fairings, and I had rain gear, but I didn't have heated gear at the time. I was so cold and miserable by the time I got home that I vowed that I would never make that mistake again. Teaching takes a lot of me anyway, but even more so in the rain. If the forecast calls for rain for more than "a stray shower or thunderstorm is possible", I don't hesitate to drive to class. At least I have a convertible so if the sun shines, I'm still good!

·
Biker
1,615 Posts
Ditto, I love riding in rain or snow,
freezing rain and lightning storms, not so much,
In some ways riding in the rain proves ur a pretty good rider because some ride in the
rain maybe a few miles and have a problem like slamming into a car or dropping it
going round a curve. When I was in Fl. we'd get flash rain storms at times. u just have to
keep a cool head and ride it out. Many times from St. Pete I'd go to Plant city as there is a
lot of railroading going on. I'd get hit with a sudden down pour, hit 75S from 4E for a bit
ride a bit and get windblown dry then back to 4East to Plant city
Never had freezing rain but I was coming back to the house,I'm on on 16th street, pouring in
sheets but it was warm rain, what scared the **** outa me was lightning hitting the wires
along the street. I did not know if that could take a wire off the insulator and have the wire
whipping all over, that did not happen but it was effing scary with all those sparks raining
down, That was not a good ride, the water on the street was like 4 inches deep and it
actually got up into the horn. next day doing a pre-ride the horn sounded like a constip8ed duck.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,059 Posts
Start: 1,517, 9-8-21. Finish: 1,583 for a total of 66 beautiful miles! Left home at around 8:30 AM and it was 65 degrees and on the return it was 81 so the weather was great with blue skies and no wind.

I rode to Joplin and had breakfast and talked to a Navy Veteran Friend there for an hour or so. I rode South to North Neosho then East to Diamond and on east to Sarcoxie then North to Avilla and then West to my Home. The Dealer repairs worked great and the Spyder was perfect: Rear air bag wouldn't accept air, the 'Frunk' latch was sticking and the seat latch didn't work. Warranty of course.

The weather seems to be getting cooler so I will be riding more in the near future.

Sam:)

·
Biker
1,615 Posts
Start: 1,517, 9-8-21. Finish: 1,583 for a total of 66 beautiful miles! Left home at around 8:30 AM and it was 65 degrees and on the return it was 81 so the weather was great with blue skies and no wind.

I rode to Joplin and had breakfast and talked to a Navy Veteran Friend there for an hour or so. I rode South to North Neosho then East to Diamond and on east to Sarcoxie then North to Avilla and then West to my Home. The Dealer repairs worked great and the Spyder was perfect: Rear air bag wouldn't accept air, the 'Frunk' latch was sticking and the seat latch didn't work. Warranty of course.

The weather seems to be getting cooler so I will be riding more in the near future.

Sam:)
Ya just don't miss a chance ta chow down do ya? Sam, I am Glad u had a great ride!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, riden in the rain plenty and doesn't bother me very much unless I know my tires are at the end of life, then I tend to let it get in my head.....it's the cold and rain together that I frikken hate.

Changed oil, filter and cleaned the K&N, adjusted the chain and gave her a good bath.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,059 Posts
Thursday 9-9-21. Start mileage was 1,583 as I left for a Mornings ride @ 8:30 AM. It was a bit chilly at 58 degrees but with blue skies and no wind. When I returned at 11:30 AM it was 80 Degrees.

I traveled NW to Jasper and filled the fuel tank and then enjoyed Rural country roads, gently rolling along at about 50 miles per hour through Corn, Wheat, Oat and Fescue country, interspersed with herds of Cows, Sheep, Goats and Horses.
A change of weather is in the air as Fall approaches changing the overwhelmingly green landscape to a duller shade of green, gold and brown and leaves are beginning to fall from the trees and some trees will soon show off their red, yellow and even purple colors before they too fall to the ground.
I enjoyed a fine breakfast in a little, quaint Cafe, 'Mary's Flower Cart Cafe, in Liberal, Missouri and made a new friend sitting with a Farmer as we discussed the upcoming Deer season and Deep Sea fishing and our experiences on the Pacific Ocean.
The ride Home went through Lamar, Missouri then on to Interstate 49, South to HWY NM and then Home. Ending mileage was 1,656 for a ride total of 73 beautiful unhurried miles.
The Spyder was impeccable and lots of fun as usual.

Obligatory Breakfast Picture and one of the Spyder parked in front to the Cafe:

Food Tableware Table Dishware Ingredient

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Got treated to some fresh asphalt (no painted lines yet!) down in the twisties! And I learned that I can pack two, one-gallon jugs of vinegar in a sidebag, along with rain gear (minus boot covers). (y)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just went to work with a stop at the Post Office on the way. It was about 70°F when I left for work at 3:00, but in the low 50°sF when I went home about 11:00.

·
Zip
2,442 Posts
The temperature on my ride into work this morning was about 55 so I turned on my heated grips for the first time since April or so. It won't be long until I break out the winter gloves. <sigh>

10281 - 10300 of 10364 Posts