Motorcycle Forum banner

9881 - 9900 of 9950 Posts

·
Visionary
4,955 Posts
I did a terrible thing yesterday, I traded bikes with my wife for about 15 miles on NJ rt 519, a nice curvy road and I have a bad feeling I might need to go bike shopping soon.:cool::p
She suggested it and so we stopped and she took my Kingpin and I hopped on her Vstrom. The Vstrom 650 is an absolute blast to ride, it's so nimble and light I had a ball, I didn't want to give it back...but she made me, she said that after riding the Vstrom for a couple of weeks taking curves on the Kingpin was like driving a truck, it was so much more work to push that thing around. I really liked it, I think I'll borrow it one day and ride to work and see how it is on the interstate.

The funny thing though was that I almost dropped the darn thing getting on it!
I wish there was a video...
I'm naturally a bit klutzy, and I have short legs, and the bike is a a bit tall for me, so I'm a bit cautious in the mount and dismount..anyway I'm getting on the bike and I swing my leg over, intending to let the bike come up off the side stand with my weight and put the weight on my right leg, but as I put the leg down the bike suddenly feels heavier to the right, and I can't find the ground, so I push my leg down harder reaching for the ground, which makes the bike go over to the right even faster, and I'm still not finding the ground?...that's when I realized I had caught my pants cuff on something..turns out it was the foot brake pedal and it was holding up my leg! I kicked my leg out and got it free and got the foot down just in time, thank goodness the bike is light, I was able to easily catch it and right it, but DAMN that was a heck of a way to get started on a new bike!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ah yes, the infamous caught my pant leg or boot lace on something when I went to put a foot down crash. I think everybody does that at least once in their lifetime.

Buddy had that happen this spring when he was in a full wheelie at the top of an 8 foot high rock wall. He really tested out the back protector that day.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,115 Posts
I did a terrible thing yesterday, I traded bikes with my wife for about 15 miles on NJ rt 519, a nice curvy road and I have a bad feeling I might need to go bike shopping soon.:cool::p
She suggested it and so we stopped and she took my Kingpin and I hopped on her Vstrom. The Vstrom 650 is an absolute blast to ride, it's so nimble and light I had a ball, I didn't want to give it back...but she made me, she said that after riding the Vstrom for a couple of weeks taking curves on the Kingpin was like driving a truck, it was so much more work to push that thing around. I really liked it, I think I'll borrow it one day and ride to work and see how it is on the interstate.
I wondered when all this would transpire🙂

·
8,805 Posts
Thanks Mike, that was fantastic and what a way to end a days ride! 😎

Sam

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,726 Posts
Reactions: mike721 and Porky

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

I'm naturally a bit klutzy, and I have short legs, and the bike is a a bit tall for me, so I'm a bit cautious in the mount and dismount..anyway I'm getting on the bike and I swing my leg over, intending to let the bike come up off the side stand with my weight and put the weight on my right leg, but as I put the leg down the bike suddenly feels heavier to the right, and I can't find the ground, so I push my leg down harder reaching for the ground, which makes the bike go over to the right even faster, and I'm still not finding the ground?...that's when I realized I had caught my pants cuff on something..turns out it was the foot brake pedal and it was holding up my leg! I kicked my leg out and got it free and got the foot down just in time, thank goodness the bike is light, I was able to easily catch it and right it, but DAMN that was a heck of a way to get started on a new bike!
I had the Kawasaki version, with bags and trunk, hit Brown Ridge with my brother on his 1200....... I was just cruising and he was scrapping pegs just to keep up..... I got a GSXS now and he won't ride when I'm on it

Don't get on one of them smooooooth running fastass nimble 4cyls....you may not want to.......after an hr or 2 you'll want to get off....the 650 Versys was definitely better on your butt

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My a** hurts today it's not accustom to the most uncomfortable instrument of torture motorcycle saddles in the world. Thank you butt I'm not borrowing that thing any more :LOL:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,880 Posts
Were you running 611 on the PA side Mike?

We all knew this was going to happen. Do you have room for another bike in the garage without getting rid of one of the existing members of the stable?

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
666 Posts
Sunday was a good day of riding, we rode about 275 miles in 3 states.
Got up and left home in PA, crossed into NJ rode an hour to breakfast, then crossed the river back into PA, then a few mile later crossed again into NY. Rode all the way up rt 97 along the Delaware river, then back into PA and all the way back down the other side with an ice cream stop halfway, then crossed back into NJ to get dinner at a favorite pizza joint, then back home to PA. I lost track of how many times we crossed state lines.
As we left after dinner we discovered there was a local balloon festival and they were landing all around us, with a quick 1/2 mile ride we managed to get very close to one making a perfect landing to end the day.
View attachment 68177 View attachment 68178 View attachment 68179 View attachment 68180 View attachment 68181

I got a video of one of the landings, it was so close I was walking backwards to keep it in the frame of the video.
We rode in a hot air balloon in Albuquerque when my son was 5. We landed in the parking lot of an agricultural co-op that was part of the school system or something. Anyway, the gardener was there and took us on a little tour of the crops, while explaining how everyone fights over water there. At the time the latest stink was that a Wal-Mart was going to be built and the neighbors were all up in arms about all the water it would consume. That conversation really put the kibosh to my wanting to move to the desert. The best part of all was that he gave my son a nice little cholla cactus in native soil that we actually managed to keep alive for quite a few years.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
666 Posts
Did an ice cream ride and tested out my new Shark modular Sunday before last (review to come), changed the oil this past Saturday, plan to ride to class Wednesday and Thursday, then load up for the street school this weekend!!!! Picked up my numbers today!

Just like Herbie!!! 😎 😎 😎

·
Visionary
4,955 Posts
Were you running 611 on the PA side Mike?

We all knew this was going to happen. Do you have room for another bike in the garage without getting rid of one of the existing members of the stable?
Not 611, we went up 519 in NJ , then 206N , then PA 6, then NY 97N, then PA 191S all the way home, with a short detour on side roads into NJ for dinner.

·
Biker
1,567 Posts
Rode to Taunton, grabbed some hot dawgz at Tex Barry's Coney Island .
then went east 5 miles on 44 had a good music lesson at Rick's music world
on keyboard. back on the cape and S of Otis's Rotary I had'er up to to 100 mph
mark. her patent black heelz were surely dancin' I think she felt good with reins
thrown to the winds, she farts a lot now when I let off the throttle, probably saying
thanks for opening me up! back ta the salt mines tomorrah. ah ballz.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,115 Posts
How you big city folks handle the traffic is beyond me. I got a taste of it this morning. I have 3 miles of hwy 39 to town everyday. Today, and I don't know what is so special about today, it was busy and FAST! I had 3 cars in front of me, 2 behind, the pace was about 75mph. I don't know who let the dogs out, but they need kenneled up!

Most of you ride your motorcycles out if ours desire. Unfortunately, poor people like me, have to ride out if necessity. Thanks to a Rat/Mouse, my air compressor hose has a hole in it. Had to haul my bubble to town to get air today.

·
Visionary
4,955 Posts
How you big city folks handle the traffic is beyond me. I got a taste of it this morning. I have 3 miles of hwy 39 to town everyday. Today, and I don't know what is so special about today, it was busy and FAST! I had 3 cars in front of me, 2 behind, the pace was about 75mph. I don't know who let the dogs out, but they need kenneled up!

Most of you ride your motorcycles out if ours desire. Unfortunately, poor people like me, have to ride out if necessity. Thanks to a Rat/Mouse, my air compressor hose has a hole in it. Had to haul my bubble to town to get air today.

View attachment 68262
ha! I think you'd love my commute. 60 miles each way of 65 mph speed limit 3 lane, the two right lanes are full of trucks, cars and bikes mixed in with them, passing lane often full of cars 25 feet apart going about 85, people jockeying for position, passing right and left..
It's like a video game highway chase scene in real life :)

·
Registered
5,578 Posts

View attachment 68262
Come visit me and I'll show you what traffic looks like. Everett, WA gets voted the worst bottleneck in the nation every year, going northbound in the afternoon on I-5. Sometimes it becomes stop n go by 1 in the afternoon, and it always sucks from 2-6. Mornings going into Seattle the traffic gets heavy by 5am and sucks until 9. Midday traffic is heavy but usually doesn't slow too much. Pretty much the only time you can drive freely up and down the I-5 corridor is between 10pm-4am.

9881 - 9900 of 9950 Posts