Motorcycle Forum banner

9561 - 9580 of 9727 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
I used to coat the bore with STP as well as the wrist pin. Not sure if that would be a good idea with today’s engines.
Sure couldn't hurt... I used a 50/50 mix of STP and straight 40 weight oil on everything that moved: main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, rocker arms, cyl bores. Always figured it made things easier on a new motor the first time it fired up and didn't have oil pressure yet.
I used petroleum jelly on the wrist pins and 15W40 on the cylinders and plan to spin the engine with no spark plugs for 10 seconds to get oil pressure up, quickly install the plugs, open the petcock on the external tank, then start.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Took the DR350 on my first trail ride yesterday at the Wayne National Forest OHV trails and had a blast! Not sure how far we went all in all, maybe 50ish miles. Stopped halfway and went into town and grabbed some fajitas and a brewski for lunch. Feeling it today for sure 🙂. Rode with another guy(he was on a drz400) that's been riding dirt bikes for 20 years and learned quite a bit. Also learned I need to get in better shape 😬. Only had 3 low speed mishaps two of which I had to get off the bike to get it up right the other I slowly fell into the hillside. Lost a mirror and one side plastic somehow 😅. Trails are restricted to 50" width which meant a bit of rutting and mud holes in some sections. Not sure if cdi is going bad or some other electrical component but the bike stalled on me a few times and didn't want to start until I let it sit for a few minutes. Probably didn't help everything was covered in a nice 1/4" thick layer of mud. Also discovered a small oil leak at a banjo bolt, I'll change the fluid and replace crush washers and hopefully that'll fix it. New plastics and mirror on the way can't wait to get out again! Also, I know most of us are quite a distance from one another but, if anyone is interested in tagging along for the next ride the more the merrier.
I always look for crush washers of the same or greater thickness of the OEM because sometimes the banjo bolt will bottom on thinner ones and will touch up the mating surfaces with a bit of fine wet/dry sandpaper taped on the butt end of a socket or what have you. Just sharing remedies with the community. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good news on my engine build, after spraying around the pistons with WD40 and spinning the works with an electric drill the scraping immediately went away, which tells me the rings sorted themselves! Also wiping the cylinders with white paper towels showed slight grey color. I like this, a pre-start break in. :):) There are no scratches in the cylinders. I may make a Allen Millyard spoof video on the project and upload it.

·
Biker
1,530 Posts
I rode to Dartmouth to get the 1st dose of covid shot, gotta go back in 3 wks.
on the way back I took a different route that instead of going S.E. I was going
N.W. thru some pretty nice country. a few big lakes, barns, cows, old homes.
lots of bikes out there today. had two big bugz fly into me, that's their problem.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I rode to Dartmouth to get the 1st dose of covid shot, gotta go back in 3 wks.
on the way back I took a different route that instead of going S.E. I was going
N.W. thru some pretty nice country. a few big lakes, barns, cows, old homes.
lots of bikes out there today. had two big bugz fly into me, that's their problem.
Read instances of people having bad reactions after the 2nd and 3rd jab and sure wouldn't want to be on a bike.

·
Visionary
4,782 Posts
Read instances of people having bad reactions after the 2nd and 3rd jab and sure wouldn't want to be on a bike.
At least for me the reaction came 12 hours later both times. I had no problem riding to and from the hospital for the shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
I always look for crush washers of the same or greater thickness of the OEM because sometimes the banjo bolt will bottom on thinner ones and will touch up the mating surfaces with a bit of fine wet/dry sandpaper taped on the butt end of a socket or what have you. Just sharing remedies with the community. :)
Thanks for the tip! That thought definitely hadn't crossed my mind, was under the assumption they'd be the same thickness but I guess that's why they tell you not to assume things 🙂. I'm still a mechanical noob (and will be for some time to come) so I'm open to any and all useful info.

·
Registered
387 Posts
At least for me the reaction came 12 hours later both times. I had to problem riding to and from the hospital for the shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I rode to get my 2nd on Friday and didn't have any immediate issues. Rode all day yesterday after I took some ibuprofen in the morning and felt fine for the first half but started getting tired on the second leg. Maybe just a combination of me being out of shape, the fajitas and beer for lunch or the shot, lol who knows. I definitely didn't want to get out of bed this morning tho, slept in til after 9 which rarely happens.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
To be honest I never gave that a thought. Ignorance? maybe but I know I'd never get on a bike
had I taken hydrocodone . . .
My problem with all of this is, we have no idea what the longterm effects will be. Although some of that is beginning to surface. You just aren't seeing it because it's being censored, "for your protection" :rolleyes: . I never thought I'd ever see so many volunteer to be human Guinean pigs. They don't even know what will happen to the rats that didn't immediately die in 5 or 10 years. But what I've read that's happening in places like Africa and India is downright scary. I hope y'all are the fortunate ones and nothing happens. I really do. Males seem to be better off than females though so you might be okay. But I do wonder about the offspring of young males that took the shot. That's still a question that needs answers. I've not read horror stories there but bet there are some.

Reactions: Carny Gisada

·
Biker
1,530 Posts
'You just aren't seeing it because it's being censored, "for your protection"
More likely they don't want a massive law suit with lawyers up their butts,
barristers if something bad occurs in England. For your protection? What a laugh,
Ppl know what's going on, not hard to see the distrust in gov over bs like this.

·
24,212 Posts
Well, I was being facetious with e the, "for your protection".

·
Registered
387 Posts
That was one reason I was kind of reluctant to get it but I ain't scurred. If there was a tracking chip or whatever other bs people say then whatever, I carry a cell phone around 90% of the time anyway(equipped with gps that is ALWAYS on), let's not forget the unstudied effects of having all these REOs in proximity to my junk... I drank milk with rbst that farmer's thought was good for production,we all soon learned it gave dudes tits, lowered testosterone and a whole other slew of unpublished effects. And ahh remember the 90s, we could apply as much atrazine as we wanted to the crops (still might be able to) but now we know it turns balls into ovaries. You can choose some poisons but sometimes we dont know what we don't know. Hell, I mean, I only smoke doctor recommended cigarettes 😉. I guess we can choose to live in fear of the endless possibilities of what may or may not happen. I may or may not be in a fatal vehicle accident this week, who knows maybe a satellite or 747 will come crashing through my roof while I'm sleeping and squash me like a bug! Now.... Where'd I put that tin foil....

·
24,212 Posts
That’s much different than volunteering to be a human Guinea pig.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,656 Posts
I guess we can choose to live in fear of the endless possibilities of what may or may not happen

In this particular instance, is fear really a factor? If you got the shot, you feared the whuflu, if you didn't, you feared the shot🤔😁

·
Registered
387 Posts
Is it really? We're guinea pigs every waking moment of our lives. When you drink water that (hopefully) meets EPA MCL reqs there's a 10^6 chance for most contaminants that you may or may not have an adverse reaction. That's for EVERY contaminant on the long long list. Simple solution to that is don't drink water and then you're not playing the part of the guinea pig.

Rod, that's definitely true to one degree or another. I don't really give a **** if I get covid or not because more than likely I'll be fine. What I am afraid of is that I'd get it and give it to my parents. My dad is 70 and has black lung from back when coal dust was okay to breathe in. I didn't change my behavior too much when everything went crazy last year, except now I don't really go to the bar which I think is better for me for unrelated reasons. I'm just replying to Larry's attempt to belittle ( I could be under the wrong impression, if so I apologize larry) those of us that do take risks in hopes that it'll get us out of this **** show sooner rather than later. I'm tired of wearing a mask and the awkwardness of people I pass on the bike path when I'm not wearing one while riding my bicycle. I chose to do so to hopefully play my part in restoring some semblance of normalcy to our collective lives.

Now, would I sign up to go on Elon's one way Mars mission and play the part of the guinea pig there? Nah, I'm too much of a Pansy. Anyhow, live your life how you see you fit and don't try to belittle others for doing the same. Just my $1.05 (inflation)...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Is it really? We're guinea pigs every waking moment of our lives. When you drink water that (hopefully) meets EPA MCL reqs there's a 10^6 chance for most contaminants that you may or may not have an adverse reaction. That's for EVERY contaminant on the long long list. Simple solution to that is don't drink water and then you're not playing the part of the guinea pig.

Rod, that's definitely true to one degree or another. I don't really give a ** if I get covid or not because more than likely I'll be fine. What I am afraid of is that I'd get it and give it to my parents. My dad is 70 and has black lung from back when coal dust was okay to breathe in. I didn't change my behavior too much when everything went crazy last year, except now I don't really go to the bar which I think is better for me for unrelated reasons. I'm just replying to Larry's attempt to belittle ( I could be under the wrong impression, if so I apologize larry) those of us that do take risks in hopes that it'll get us out of this ** show sooner rather than later. I'm tired of wearing a mask and the awkwardness of people I pass on the bike path when I'm not wearing one while riding my bicycle. I chose to do so to hopefully play my part in restoring some semblance of normalcy to our collective lives.

Now, would I sign up to go on Elon's one way Mars mission and play the part of the guinea pig there? Nah, I'm too much of a Pansy. Anyhow, live your life how you see you fit and don't try to belittle others for doing the same. Just my $1.05 (inflation)...
I quit the gym first because it was shut down then stayed away because I'm not going to wear a mask while working out. I"ve gained weight and my blood pressure is up. Thanks nanny state.

·
24,212 Posts
I'm just replying to Larry's attempt to belittle ( I could be under the wrong impression, if so I apologize larry) those of us that do take risks in hopes that it'll get us out of this **** show sooner rather than later.
No belittle intended. Just stating the fact that the vaccines weren’t tested like normal and those that take it are indeed being used for that purpose. I understand not wanting to infect a loved one and really hope it all works.

·
Secret Agent
3,656 Posts
Since this thread is the covid thread now, I just thought I'd share a bit on an article I read this morning.

They no longer believe that heard immunity will happen with covid. They believe we will just live with it just like we live with the flu, getting shots as necessary, people still dying just not as many.

Sorry, we shut down everything, our bad😉

·
Secret Agent
3,656 Posts
Other than a beautiful day to commute on my motorcycle, state farm says my insurance on my AT went down to 241 for the year.

9561 - 9580 of 9727 Posts