Motorcycle Forum banner

9321 - 9340 of 9346 Posts

·
Biker
1,480 Posts
I got a later start than usual today, 4-5-21 but managed 101.8 miles roundtrip and consumed a light lunch in Liberal, MO. 😁

View attachment 66411

It took me about 1/2 hour to stop reaching for the clutch lever and the front brake lever. My left foot hasn't missed the frequent up and down movement at all. As far as the foot brake goes, it's in the same place and just as easy to use as any other bike and it just activates all brakes, front (2) and back (1);)

The Spyder down shifts itself and can also be done manually. Upshifts use a 'paddle toggle,' like lots of High performance cars now and the shifts are 'lightning quick.'

The ergonomics are superb in every way and I love the seat and the electric windshield and Power steering.

The multimedia stereo is very good also and the volume is able to knock my socks off.

A couple in an SUV, honked at me and asked me to pull over, just to talk about my unique ride. They also had a new Spyder RT.

There are Spyder/ Ryker rider groups all around and I've joined a few and have a planned ride coming up Wednesday, if it doesn't rain!!!!!

Sam:)
2 thumbs up on ur eating!

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
515 Posts
I adjusted my BrakeAway, did a thorough TCLOCS, including lubing all my keyholes; and wiped off the bug guts in preparation for my day trip tomorrow!!! 🌞🌞🌞

·
On The Road Again!
3,826 Posts
Ice cream! No ride is complete without ice cream.
Got out for a ride this afternoon and of course I had to stop for ice cream.
Tried a new place today, Tranquility Farms on rt 517 in Tranquility NJ.
Good ice cream and a good ride, about 60 miles, barely enough to warm up
the oil.
Oh well, I'll try to do better tomorrow.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Rode to work this morning, 42F, clear and dry, it was so nice I really wanted to just keep going....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,281 Posts
Weather is changing tomorrow George, may get wet.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
515 Posts
Rode 317.9 miles today to pay a visit to the Mother Ship for motorcycle ed in Missouri. They had temporary custody of my crashed helmet for educational and lobbying purposes; now that the helmet law has changed, it's not likely to change again any time soon so I decided it was time to bring it back home. I tear up every time I look at it because I am so grateful that it kept me alive and able-bodied. For Motorcycle Awareness Month in May, MoDOT is encouraging riders to wear helmets (it's now optional for those over 26) and they put out a call for photos of crashed helmets, so maybe mine will be famous. 😊

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I wish now today that I had kept my crashed helmet but at the time I just wanted to get it behind me and didn't really have a place to keep it anyway. But since getting rid of it there have been several times I would have liked having it to look at. But it's gone. :(

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Got up, let the dogs out, it was warm and dry so I got on the bike to ride to work, never checked the weather.
1/2 way to work the temperature dropped from 56 to 42 and it started raining, not enough to get me very wet, just enough to make me start singing the April showers song, which is now STUCK in my DAMN HEAD and won't stop!
Beware singing in your helmet!!!

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rode 317.9 miles today to pay a visit to the Mother Ship for motorcycle ed in Missouri. They had temporary custody of my crashed helmet for educational and lobbying purposes; now that the helmet law has changed, it's not likely to change again any time soon so I decided it was time to bring it back home. I tear up every time I look at it because I am so grateful that it kept me alive and able-bodied. For Motorcycle Awareness Month in May, MoDOT is encouraging riders to wear helmets (it's now optional for those over 26) and they put out a call for photos of crashed helmets, so maybe mine will be famous. 😊
Its optional after 26 to wear a helmet? What was the law before that? Do the lawmakers think that after 26 you've already lived a long life and its time to move on?

I've had two bad crashes. My helmets probably saved my life in both. The first one was at highway speeds. My helmet had significant impact damage and a couple of "grind" points where it slid along the pavement protecting my head. I no longer have that helmet but I held on to it for years after the accident. My second was in town at a lower speed. I was thrown over the front of a car impacting my bike, the car, and eventually the pavement. The helmet has evident impact damage as well and I'm sure again that it saved my life. However, other parts of my body were not so lucky. I still have that helmet.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
I guess the law assumes that heads get harder after 26 :)

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,904 Posts
Its optional after 26 to wear a helmet? What was the law before that? Do the lawmakers think that after 26 you've already lived a long life and its time to move on?

I believe 26 was recently (past few years) floated by scientists that that is the age a person's brain is fully developed.

In Missouri, prior to the recent 26 years old change, it was simply mandatory.

In Kansas, it's been optional my entire life, if you're 18 or older.

I like the optional. I might run to convenient store without one from work, or to the bank, but otherwise I wear one.

One of my bosses from my teenage years had an in town accident like yours. Fortunately, no head injury, but he's had knee trouble ever since(he's a BIG guy).

·
Biker
1,480 Posts
I was talkin to H-D in regards to getting brakelite to work w front brakes.
I'm thinking it could be a breaker as my two direction sigs work but low
side filaments of the 1157s are not, they have the book. do brekes get funky
when not using for a bit, they were reasonable good last year but not far from
useless now. the stimulus check for 1400 came in so I'm gonna get some work
done . I took a chance an roade Sporty to gas station. apparently there is a
nationwide glitch for RMV /DMV puters.no one can get inspection stickers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think helmets should be optional. it's not the government's business.

Took a ride around town today for about an hour and a half. Did some cleaning up on it and back in the garage. Supposed to rain here the next three days.

R. S.

·
Registered
135 Posts
lol Spinoff of government run health care system, government makes it their business for us to wear the helmets,
or we have the option to not use the health care system when we get killed doing it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Supposed to rain here the next three days.
We could use some here. Evidently we are in another El Nino phase so it's looking like another drought is building. Stock tanks are dropping fast. And another thing a good rain would do for me is stop playing farmer for awhile and get a ride in waiting for it to dry out a bit again to continue. So yeah, I'd love some rain. This working stuff stinks.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
lol Spinoff of government run health care system, government makes it their business for us to wear the helmets,
or we have the option to not use the health care system when we get killed doing it.
Luckily, right now anyway, we have options rather than government-run insuance.

R. S.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Luckily, right now anyway, we have options rather than government-run insuance.

R. S.
It's not government run insurance, it's government run healthcare. I can go to any hospital that is handy, flash my OHIP card that proves I've paid into the healthcare system for my entire life and have the doctors inflict more pain on me. I've never seen a bill for that service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's not government run insurance, it's government run healthcare. I can go to any hospital that is handy, flash my OHIP card that proves I've paid into the healthcare system for my entire life and have the doctors inflict more pain on me. I've never seen a bill for that service.
Kind of what I meant to say healthcare not insurance. But anyway, still do not believe in helmet laws. But back to the topic... taking the front tire off and changing It today. Hopefully if the weather clears for the weekend will put in a lot of miles.

·
Biker
1,480 Posts
Took a chance and rode Sporty to H-D with no reg. got it there all right. they told me
front end is shot, and can rebuild then called me said they can't as parts are obsolete.
Try Cape Cod choppers, so I did and they can either rebuild or get another, if they do,
that will be great. as usual due to the fkg virus it may take longer to get parts but they
do get them. So I'm looking to get back on the Sporty,.

I do have a wiring issue, brakellite works with rears but not front. I know the two switches
are in parallel , so I'm thinking check where the wires from the rear switch are. get her fixt
and save some $$.

In the meantime, I'm riding wandering Gerty yup, the wide glide.

9321 - 9340 of 9346 Posts