Motorcycle Forum banner

8721 - 8729 of 8729 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
22,836 Posts
I tell ya Zebra, Mike is in training to beat Rollin' and head north to the frozen tundra someday. I shouldn't say anything. I used to do that in northern California. It's crazy but then he'll have the merit badge to brag about some day and the crazy things he used to do. Age will take care things ya know and riding in just 40º weather will feel like 10º. It's coming.

Reactions: mike721

·
Visionary
4,269 Posts
The short 1 hour ride to work doesn't really test me with the cold, I find that I can handle just about anything for an hour. The heated gear and touring bike sure makes it very comfortable but I did this with no heated gear and no fairings on my Vstar for a year and I survived. What really tests me in the cold is the long rides, 24 hours below 45 with the dark 12 hours of it below freezing and down into the teens. Even with the heated gear I got chilled a few times on that kind of ride, the Santasore last Christmas and the Ride around NY were both tough that way.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I tell ya Zebra, Mike is in training to beat Rollin' and head north to the frozen tundra someday. I shouldn't say anything. I used to do that in northern California. It's crazy but then he'll have the merit badge to brag about some day and the crazy things he used to do. Age will take care things ya know and riding in just 40º weather will feel like 10º. It's coming.
Must be, in training for something like that.

The short 1 hour ride to work doesn't really test me with the cold, I find that I can handle just about anything for an hour. The heated gear and touring bike sure makes it very comfortable but I did this with no heated gear and no fairings on my Vstar for a year and I survived. What really tests me in the cold is the long rides, 24 hours below 45 with the dark 12 hours of it below freezing and down into the teens. Even with the heated gear I got chilled a few times on that kind of ride, the Santasore last Christmas and the Ride around NY were both tough that way.
Not a chance, my blood is too thin...LOL

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
303 Posts
I don't know what's worse. People that don't mind their own business or people that ignore everything and live in their own little world. It seems there is a fine line. But then I live in the sticks where if you come down my drive it just might not go well for you if I don't know you or you didn't make prior arrangements. Then the coyotes, wild hogs and buzzards can remove the remains.
Same at our place!

We actually have a Kioti, but that's still a big orange tractor.

·
American Legion Rider
22,836 Posts
No reason to waste time with a tractor. Critters need nourishment too. I forgot the one critter though. We have fire-ants too. They get in on the clean-up as well here. Nothing left but the bones for the coyotes to chew on later if that. I've seen this work first hand here. My neighbor had a ~2,000 pound cow die a several years ago, before the feral/wild hogs arrived here. I could see it at about ¾ of a mile from my back patio. I drove over in the ATV to confirm what I was seeing since that is a good distance. When the wind changed I could've confirmed it that way but I was nosey. but at that distance it wasn't over powering and was next to nothing very soon anyway. It just took a month and every bit of that cow was gone except for a few pieces of hide. Now with feral hogs here, I doubt it would take 2 weeks to see all signs of any animal or human to completely vanish here. Hogs, coyotes, buzzards, crows, eagles and fire-ants, the clean-up crew, is far better and easier than any tractor.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Got off 7am Thursday.....11 I went out to adjust levers and mirrors on the GSXS

12 heading out, rode out the ridge then around to cousins...then another cousins.....then brothers
Letting them all know I'm riding and they aren't.......

Got home, temp started cooling, Friday morning 40and rain, cools some more and turns to snow rain mix

This morning got up to snow covered ground......got up to 35 today

Suppose to be more of the same tomorrow and worse Monday(that's ok I'm back to work)

10 day outlook for riding isn't good

8721 - 8729 of 8729 Posts