Motorcycle Forum banner

8681 - 8700 of 8729 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,660 Posts
Tell people it is a fashion statement Mike.

·
Visionary
4,266 Posts
Rode to work for most likely the last time this year, I do work tomorrow too but unless the forecast changes the freezing rain doesn't sound like much fun. I checked my GPS logging app and it looks like I'm going to JUST make 30,000 miles for the year I think, I didn't take a long touring ride this year but I did do a lot of IBA rides and I guess that made up for it.

Today was a beautiful winter morning, on the cold side at 25F but dry and clear, it was a good morning to ride. I did make a small gear blunder, I should have either worn chaps or something under my work pants, I usually start that when it gets below 32F. I had 2 cold spots on my thighs that got annoying at about the halfway point but other than that it was a pleasant ride. Lot's of trucks today, but they were mostly well behaved, it was a nice ride.

·
American Legion Rider
22,828 Posts
Has anyone told you that you are crazy? Truckers would say I was when I rode in those temps and even more surprised when I said to not talk about me like that. I still use a CB but not too many truckers do anymore. Take the long way home tonight Mike so you are sure to get that 30k mark.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,252 Posts
I'm not dead!!! Admittedly, the new job is taking up a ton of time. Coming from IT to journalism is quite the change. But thankfully the dust is beginning to settle and I'm not working 12 hour workdays anymore.

On the motorcycle front, I found out Fortnine was wrong about the Honda PC800:

Going into the winter season, I have chosen my Burgman as the "winter beater".

Outside of motorcycles, my condo association hired a fake tow company to tow my cars, so I'm dealing with that madness. I'm also getting my pilot license! We've made little progress on the bus aside from getting it properly classified as an RV.

Reactions: Porky

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,660 Posts
Is that your first published article Merc?

And why did the conco association tow your cars? Too many in one spot?

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
1,252 Posts
Is that your first published article Merc?

And why did the conco association tow your cars? Too many in one spot?
Not my first, but one of the ones I'm really happy with. I don't always write about motorcycles but try to whenever I can. :)

I cannot speak publicly too much on the condo thing because it's escalated to legal action, but I will say one of the reasons they towed a car -- which wasn't even mine, but they thought it was -- was for "Red SUV". Ah yes, that seems like a valid reason. lol

The icing on the cake is the tow company they hired doesn't even exist. It's literally some dude with a flatbed.

·
8,224 Posts
Well written story MM.

The 'Pearl white' PC800 is the one I bought new in 1989 and it was a great motorcycle and much more capable than given credit for at the time. Aside from associating the design with automobiles, it was also described as a 'Big Scooter,' which didn't help its image nor promote sales. It was way ahead of its time.

Your 'Blue' Burgman 650 is just like mine.:)

Happy new year!

Sam:)

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,009 Posts
You got that bus at the condo??

·
1,252 Posts
Nah, it's at a storage place. People kept calling the cops on it thinking kids were in danger. Oy vey. lol

·
American Legion Rider
22,828 Posts
Nah, it's at a storage place. People kept calling the cops on it thinking kids were in danger. Oy vey. lol
I don't know what's worse. People that don't mind their own business or people that ignore everything and live in their own little world. It seems there is a fine line. But then I live in the sticks where if you come down my drive it just might not go well for you if I don't know you or you didn't make prior arrangements. Then the coyotes, wild hogs and buzzards can remove the remains.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Seems people nowadays dont know how to keep their nose out of other peoples business. My neighborhood is full of old retired people, a couple of them with nothing better to do than stick their nose where it doesnt belong. They're always asking questions, or spreading gossip about other neighbors, and sometimes there's a 3rd one. I'm always working in my garage on one project or another, and these busybodies are always walking their little lap dogs by several times a day, always asking Hey, what are you doing, or some other question.

Well I've tolerated it, but when each of them started spreading gossip about other neighbors, I simply stated. Listen, I dont give a **** what other people do on their own property, as long as it doesnt affect me or my family, they can do whatever they want and I dont care to hear about it. I dont care what color they painted their front door, and I dont care to hear about what association violations they might be violating by parking their boat in their driveway.

I finished these conversations with these busybodies stating: I dont stick my nose in other peoples business, and I expect people to keep theirs out of mine. Well this was about three years ago and the old lady busybody has never spoken to me since. One of the old guys gave me the silent treatment for almost a year and started talking to me again, Hey what are you doing? Why did you buy that? The third busybody only speaks to me occasionally saying hello or good morning when he walks by, thats the way I like it.
Thanks for bringing this up MM, I'm sorry about your troubles, but it was good to get it off my chest...LOL.

Now to my latest. I've been using throw over saddlebags on the Ryker and they were a little on the small side, and I couldnt lock them, but they still served their purpose well. I needed something a little larger. I tried to fit my Shad cases that I have on the Kawasaki, to fitting the Can Am Ryker. But with the type of bracket and locking bar that they require, and the lack of frame at the rear of the Ryker, there was just no way to make them work. So I found a good deal on these larger locking side cases on Amazon, and they came with a ton of different mounting brackets, some of which I was able to use.

But, I still had to fab up a main bracket, grind it down after welding, then sanding and paint it black. I then had to paint the side case inserts liquid silver color to match the liquid silver trim on the Ryker. I had no choice on that, those lid inserts were white and matched nothing on the bike. The paint turned out great and looks like a factory match. I started this project this past weekend and finally put the finishing touches on it, I think it turned out pretty good, but it took a lot longer than I had anticipated.
Homemade bracket:

Test Fit

Rear view after paint

·
American Legion Rider
22,828 Posts
Looks great Zebra and personally I like the white inserts but admit the liquid silver is probably better.

·
8,224 Posts
I went for the longest bike ride in recent memory due to the cold, rainy and snowy weather! I moved my Africa Twin from my Garage to my Barn with the Automotive lift in it, approximately 200 feet. It was a great ride but @ 23 degrees, a little to cold for me. 😁

Sam🤓

·
Visionary
4,266 Posts
I went for the longest bike ride in recent memory due to the cold, rainy and snowy weather! I moved my Africa Twin from my Garage to my Barn with the Automotive lift in it, approximately 200 feet. It was a great ride but @ 23 degrees, a little to cold for me. 😁

Sam🤓
A shame that you stopped at 200 feet! If you'd only gone 50 feet further you could have earned a Marshmallow Butt 250 certificate for that ride!

:ROFLMAO:

·
8,224 Posts
Love it Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

How about a 'Kim Kardashian' Baby got back-BIG butt 500! That looks softer than a bushel of marshmallows.:eek:

We had an 'Ice storm' mixed with rain and snow last night and the sound of ice drops hitting the French window above my headboard, was quite loud, like an early BMW 'R' series in need of a slight valve adjustment! 😁

Happy New Year---2021.:poop:

Sam:cool:

Reactions: mike721
8681 - 8700 of 8729 Posts