Motorcycle Forum banner

8501 - 8520 of 8544 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
Yeah, when it gets below freezing the eyes do begin to water a bit. This helmet I have now has a much smaller first notch opening which helps a bunch.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts
Kansas wind is back. Has been all week. It blows my yukon a crew cab 3/4ton around. Only good thing is the leaves are about all gone from my yard, at home and at work.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
232 Posts
Shhhhh....I found some paper towels!! Don't tell anyone now! :censored:

If it had been TP, I probably would have been bike-jacked!!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Had 580, rode 10 to get oil warmed up, road wet, misting.....I got soaked, wearing my extra warm snowmobile jacket that is no longer rain proof.

Discovered your butt won't stay dry sitting on a crotch rocket

First oil change done

Had to take off bottom cowling(that's what it's called in the book)

No possible way of changing the filter without draining oil on the exhaust, poor design

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Had 580, rode 10 to get oil warmed up, road wet, misting.....I got soaked, wearing my extra warm snowmobile jacket that is no longer rain proof.

Discovered your butt won't stay dry sitting on a crotch rocket

First oil change done

Had to take off bottom cowling(that's what it's called in the book)

No possible way of changing the filter without draining oil on the exhaust, poor design
Re: Wet butt - yeah, I hate riding in the wet. Adult diaper, perhaps? :LOL:

Re: Oil change - try using a piece of cardboard, foil, or newspaper to "guide" the oil over the downpipes and into the drain pan...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Me and my lady went for a nice ride on the Street Glide to a nice restaurant in Evansville, Ind. It has been a beautiful day.
I put drag-bars on my 85 VMax and finished putting it back together. i took it for a spin yesterday. it's a fricking BEAST. the previous owner removed the baffles and it's so F'n loud. i had to shut it down to give my neighbors a rest. SOON, this mofo will be a daily rider.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Decided that today was a good day to winterize the summer bikes, the ones without windshields and fairings that usually sit a few months.
So we rode Candy's Scout, my Kingpin, my CB400t, and our winter boarder Missy's Scout Bobber to the gas station, added Stabil, filled the tanks, and rode a few miles to mix it up, then parked them close together in the quiet side of the garage. I didn't plug them in yet, but that's not a rush. It was a nice day but as we finished up a cold rain started and I got pretty wet riding the Honda back to the garage.
Parking even some of the bikes is always a sad day, but at least for now we can still ride the big bikes.

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
120 mile donut run yesterday. Donut wasn't worth it but the ride was. Nice fall day and the trees are ready for winter. I'm not but they are all bare now. :(

Reactions: mike721

·
On The Road Again!
3,511 Posts
Decided that today was a good day to winterize the summer bikes, the ones without windshields and fairings that usually sit a few months.
So we rode Candy's Scout, my Kingpin, my CB400t, and our winter boarder Missy's Scout Bobber to the gas station, added Stabil, filled the tanks, and rode a few miles to mix it up, then parked them close together in the quiet side of the garage. I didn't plug them in yet, but that's not a rush. It was a nice day but as we finished up a cold rain started and I got pretty wet riding the Honda back to the garage.
Parking even some of the bikes is always a sad day, but at least for now we can still ride the big bikes.
Rain yesterday? Saturday? No rain over here and I'm not that far from you.
I was on the road until about 2:30 pm and never saw a drop.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Rain yesterday? Saturday? No rain over here and I'm not that far from you.
I was on the road until about 2:30 pm and never saw a drop.
It was a small local shower I think, around 16:30 till 17:00. Just enough to make me cold and wet.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Re: Wet butt - yeah, I hate riding in the wet. Adult diaper, perhaps? :LOL:

Re: Oil change - try using a piece of cardboard, foil, or newspaper to "guide" the oil over the downpipes and into the drain pan...
I check it out next time, but I'm pretty sure that there is no room for anything until you get the filter out

Took it out today, 2 hrs straight.......too long on a crotch rocket seat
Weather said rain at 1, I got home at 12, I've been caught believing it won't rain till

On a straight I took it down to 2nd to see what 7000rpm does, 54mph

I don't see that I will ever be doing 7000rpm, more bike than I can use....... I'll never use its peak torque(9000) or HP(10500).......probably shoulda got GSX-250R or Z400

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I don't see that I will ever be doing 7000rpm, more bike than I can use....... I'll never use its peak torque(9000) or HP(10500).......probably shoulda got GSX-250R or Z400
I thought the same for the first several thousand I put on the F4i... 😈 Kudos to you for taking it slow and not "over riding" your skill level!

If you decide to keep it, maybe look into taking it to a track. That's really where 600cc+ sport bikes belong and come into their own. If the Z400 had been around when I was ready to upgrade, I probably would've been inclined to get one. It seems like plenty for the street, while being a good beginner track bike as well...

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was able to get the wiring squared away and I now have a 100% working electrical system. I found that my exhaust was not the original with the bike, and it was rusted in places that cant be fixed due to the metal being too thin. So new exhaust it is... but I will use what I got till I get that. All I have left is painting the old exhaust to give it a few more months of life left, and then set the points, time it and RIDE!

Reactions: Doc Samson

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Today was a delightful morning to ride into work, the weather was a nice warm 40F with no wind, no rain or snow, and I have been going in early so I had llighter than usual traffic. It's amazing how much emptier the highway is at 0330 than 0430, I should go this early more often just for the peace and tranquility.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Registered
37 Posts
Me and my lady went for a nice ride on the Street Glide to a nice restaurant in Evansville, Ind. It has been a beautiful day.
Looked longingly, in garage at my fxdl, latest new old bike but its clean, rather be wrenching on it but it's 30 degrees, drank a beer, waiting for spring, back by fireplace, be well all

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Looked longingly, in garage at my fxdl, latest new old bike but its clean, rather be wrenching on it but it's 30 degrees, drank a beer, waiting for spring, back by fireplace, be well all
The best thing I ever did was add a cheap electric heater to my garage, it's a ceiling hung fan forced unit and little undersized at only 5KW so it's a little slow to warm it up but give it 2 hours and it will keep the garage at 70 when it's 20 outside. Normally I just leave it set to 40 when I'm not in there, as best I can tell and it cost me about $20 a month in electricity to have no condesnation on my tools or bikes all winter, nice easy cold starts, and a nice warm environment to work in when I wanted to. No more frozen wrenches stuck to my fingers :)

The second best thing I did was stick a spare air conditioner in the garage window for summer use :)

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
The best thing I ever did was add a cheap electric heater to my garage, it's a ceiling hung fan forced unit and little undersized at only 5KW so it's a little slow to warm it up but give it 2 hours and it will keep the garage at 70 when it's 20 outside.
I have a propane heater but propane has a tendency to add a lot of moisture to my shop/garage. Do you remember the brand of heater you got Mike? I could see using propane to get my shop to temperature then keeping it there with unit like you describe.

Reactions: mike721

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
On the "garage heat" topic: My garage is uninsulated and I've used a kerosene heater for a few years. It would warm it up about 20 degrees over the outside temp, which was fine as long as it wasn't below freezing. Last year, I added a small propane heater and, running both together, I am now comfortable in any temp. I also like having two different fuel options...

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
I have a propane heater but propane has a tendency to add a lot of moisture to my shop/garage. Do you remember the brand of heater you got Mike? I could see using propane to get my shop to temperature then keeping it there with unit like you describe.
Yeah, propane makes a lot of humidity when it burns unvented.
I'll check it out when I get home, see if I can read the name and dataplate. It looks like this one, I think this might be it.
I snagged it very cheaply on facebook market, someone apparently bought it having no idea that it was a 220V 30 amp heater, they sold it as is not working, I saw from the picture that it was wired up incorrectly with a cut off 120v lamp cord. It was new and never used, I got it $25 I think. :)
Out of honesty I did offer to show them how to wire it up instead of buying it, they just wanted rid of it so I went away happy. I disabled the built in thermostat and put a cheap line voltage stat on the wall where I could reach it.

Reactions: Doc Samson
8501 - 8520 of 8544 Posts