Motorcycle Forum banner

8481 - 8500 of 8544 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I replaced my tires on my CBR this summer, the rear had been on there over 8 years and had a plug in it all 8 years. Never did go flat.

Today however, beautiful day! Sunny, not much wind, ~57 degrees! Funny how 57 and sunny seems like excellent riding weather as opposed to cloudy and 57.
8 years?! With a plug?! Man, I'm surprised it didn't blow up! :LOL:

As for cloudy vs. sunny at the same temp? Yeah, makes a yuuuge difference! Radiant heat is the motorcyclist's best friend when the temps start to drop.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts
I learned my lesson on plugging a motorcycle tire.

Had an 07 VFR, plugged rear tire, had been in there a couple years. Went to ride that bike to a son's football game about 50 miles away. Decided to check out that plug, looked well worn. Decided to replace it before I left.

I made it to my destination ok. About 10 miles in to the trip home, tire goes flat. I had 3 plugs, that got me to a gas station that had packages of plugs(this is late at night). I bought both packages they had and it took all those plugs to get me home....

Lesson I learned was, if the plug is holding air, I don't care what it looks like, I ain't changing it!

Oh and there's a guy on THR with your user name Doc!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts
Lol! Yeah, let's see if you can find ALL my forums!
I was updating some other old forums(logging in to them), vertical scope seems to be taking over the motorcycle forums, second media corp. Is the same format, and taking over gun forums. They share the same physical address with one another.

·
8,037 Posts
I'm on the same forums as a bunch of you Guy's are, with different names but the posting style and other details are so similar that I know ya! I'm probably a member of 20 or so Forums and just joined 'PARLER,' a free speech social network and the new alternative to Facebook.:)

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
I just use the same userid on all but different passwords. Makes it easy for me to remember who I am. :D :D :D

I'm not sure about PARLER yet Sam. It does sound promising but so few I interact with are there yet. It might be okay once more get wind of it and change.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm probably a member of 20 or so Forums...
20?! Man, I can barely maintain 3!

I used to get "lost" in this one for hours when I was devouring everything about riding but Tacomaworld is a whole other level! :LOL:

I just use the same userid on all but different passwords. Makes it easy for me to remember who I am.
Same here, but I have to keep a freakin' notecard with all my passwords. It's beyond ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
ALL 3? So CBR forums is the other one?🤭
Ooops! I mean "3.5"! The CBR one only counts as a half because it's such a ghost town there. Great source for "How To" but interactions are minimal at best...

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Rode my 16 Vision to work this morning, it's been cold before but was the first truly cold, below freezing work commute of the year, it was 30F for part of the trip. I was Ok but not quite dressed right, just work pants with no chaps or under layer and a medium weight textile jacket and leather gloves, thank goodness for the heated grips and heated seat or I would have had a cold ride indeed. The cold breeze blowing up my back on the interstate was a reminder of how short that jacket is. I think I need to break out the heated winter gear and the heavy and long winter touring jacket as default when I get home tonight and put the medium stuff away unless we get a rare warm day.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think I need to break out the heated winter gear and the heavy and long winter touring jacket as default when I get home tonight and put the medium stuff away unless we get a rare warm day.
How long is your commute?

I only have to ride 5-10 minutes, depending on traffic, and am frozen if I'm not layered up all over when the temps get into the 40's and lower! Of course, I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to the cold, so my tolerance is minimal at best!

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to the cold, so my tolerance is minimal at best!
You can't be any worse than I am. I'll have my heated grips and seat on even in the 50's some mornings when I want to ride for the day. Might not stay on for long but I hate the cold and the wind brings the chill factor down quickly at speed.

Reactions: Doc Samson

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This past weekend, I put a new crack in my front fairing. Put the front stand in, went to lift it up, and "crack" right on the tip of the nose. Realized that every other time I've used it, I'd already put the rear up but did not do that this time. Figure I'll pull it off during one of the long, dark weeks ahead and slather the ol' JB Weld onto it... :rolleyes:

The intent was to give the front calipers and rotors a good cleaning, so I went ahead and did that. Made the brakes feel a bit smoother and got rid of a lot of the pad friction that I had without squeezing the brake lever.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
Well that escalated quickly, it was 19 degrees this morning when I left for work!

After I was chilly the other day I went full on heated gear today, gloves, jacket, heavy winter coat, and I took the blue bike with the heated seat. I stayed toasty warm and comfy, the only part of me that was cold was the usual 8 inch circle on each thigh where the wind off my fairing hits it. I was still just wearing my work pants, next step is to either put on freeze out or under armor under my pants or chaps over them. Once of these days I'll finally get some sort of heated pants and close up this last weak spot in my winter riding gear.

The only other thing I need to do is I think I'm going to put my pinlock shield back on, I like not having an extra layer of plastic to look through, it definitely helps in the dark, but I struggled with fogging the whole way in, I might just have to go back to the pinlock for the coldest weather days.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
How long is your commute?

I only have to ride 5-10 minutes, depending on traffic, and am frozen if I'm not layered up all over when the temps get into the 40's and lower! Of course, I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to the cold, so my tolerance is minimal at best!
My commute is 62 miles, about the first 5 miles is side roads, the rest is interstate right into the ramp into the garage at work.

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
struggled with fogging
I keep my face shield opened on the first detent. It lets in a little bit of cold but that’s better than not being able to see.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
I had a nasty little surprise welcoming me to work today, they are milling the pavement on the ramp into the parking structure!

I'm sure it will just be a day or two till it's repaved but it was awful today, they were actively milling, I get off the ramp expecting to just cruise into the parking lot, instead it's 1/4 mile of cones, dust, heavy equipment, flagmen, deep grooved pavement and about 2 inches of loose millings on top of it, they hadn't cleaned them up yet. I slid a few times as I slowly rolled past the cones, loose gravel on top of asphalt is much worse in my opinion than a gravel road, it's always ready to slide with any false move. I got past the worst of that and then right when the end was in sight there were a couple of 1-2 inch ridges I had to cross at a shallow angle on a curve to get back onto the still unmilled section.

This was not fun at all.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
I keep my face shield opened on the first detent. It lets in a little bit of cold but that’s better than not being able to see.
Yep, that's exactly what I did too.
It works, but the cold air makes my eyes water and I hate it when my eyes water behind my glasses.
I know, I'm whining :cool:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Glad you kept your wheels under you. If there's anything worse than dropping your bike, it's dropping your bike in the last quarter mile of a 62 mile trip.

8481 - 8500 of 8544 Posts