Motorcycle Forum banner

8321 - 8340 of 8369 Posts

·
Visionary
3,950 Posts
Today was one of the most BEAUTIFUL days of the year!
72 degrees and clear blue skies in October! Amazing.
So....I rode up to bike night at the JumboLand diner.
A bunch of other people had the same idea. There were
about 30 bikes there tonight, which is a good turnout for
this late in the season.
But.....No Mike or Candy!
Oh where oh where could they be on such a GREAT
evening?
Oh did they have the bike night at Jumboland? We went last week and no one showed up, so I figured it was done for the season. Oh well.
It was indeed a beautiful day, after we both rode home from work on our big bikes we switched to the summer bikes (Scout and Kingpin) and took a short ride out for dinner somewhere else.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Registered
764 Posts
I rode before dawn to the weekly Friday Bible study. My bike's thermometer said the temperature was 45. It was only a 5 mile ride, so the only part of me that got even a little chilly was my hands. But still, I'll probably break out the winter gear for the next 45-degree ride.

·
7,902 Posts
It was 30 degrees in SW Missouri @ 7am so no ride for me. Lots of "Ol' man Frost," on the landscape but none on the Tarmac.

I took the new Dodge Pickup and turned the heated seat on, inserted my Flashdrive and listened to Heart's old stuff for the 15 minutes it takes me to drive to work.

My Computer Business has been Hopping, with pickups and deliveries so I've been too busy anyway to enjoy a nice ride.

Sam:)

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,873 Posts
Vanessa took her maiden voyage on her new dirt bike and did really well!!! I need to make a few adjustments to it. The gear shifter is too low but I can’t adjust it any higher, it bumps into the engine case, and she can’t get her riding boot under it very well to upshift. Also, I need to move the handlebars higher. Vanessa is 5’10” and needs more room for her knees. Watch for pics in the repair thread to come.

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
Is there room to put a heel/toe shifter on it?

Reactions: Stablefull

·
3,873 Posts
Is there room to put a heel/toe shifter on it?
I doubt it. It’s a pretty small bike. I would have preferred finding an XR or DR 125 but they are really hard to find. My friend Paula is a bigger girl and my DT175 was too much for her and she crashed it so l wanted something with less power for Vanessa. We’ll make some adjustments and it will work until she gets better and then we’ll either set up the DT for her or get her an XR200

·
Registered
1980 Honda CB125N
17 Posts
I looked at my 1980 CB 125 and growled because I don't know why it won't start ...thinking it may be the wrong/bad coil, spark is poor at the plug lead.

·
7,902 Posts
It's the Carb!

·
3,873 Posts
The day started off on a bad note. This morning Aria, our 7 year old, called to us crying. She had been cutting a bagel with a butter knife and slipped and knicked her finger. Not bad, just a "Mommy, l need a bandaid," moment. Vanessa went to put the bandaid on and poor Aria saw her own blood and fainted. l guees her body wobbled a bit and Vanessa thought she was having a seizure. They run in Vanessa's family so it's understandable. Took her the the hospital and they ran all the tests. Everything's good, just a scare. l held down the fort with the big kids.

Tonight l finally got back out to the garage and went to town on Vanessa's XR100. l moved the handlebars forward and raised the levers, which made a world of difference. We did decide that a riser would still be better though. While l was at it l took the shifter off, put it in my vice and gave it a good shove. It bent it just enough to clear the case and raise it a notch. I think it will be perfect now. l'm having fun with this little bike, it's simple to work on and not intimidating in the least. l'm going to watch a couple tire changing videos and try my hand at putting her new tires on next.

·
7,902 Posts
I'm glad things went well with your little Angel!

Working in the Construction industry for many years in California, I have seen BIG, BURLY grown Men, get a small cut on a finger and just completely pass out when they see the blood!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Vanessa's XR100 street legal?

Take care my Friend and have a BLESSED Sunday!

·
3,873 Posts
I'm glad things went well with your little Angel!

Working in the Construction industry for many years in California, I have seen BIG, BURLY grown Men, get a small cut on a finger and just completely pass out when they see the blood!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Vanessa's XR100 street legal?

Take care my Friend and have a BLESSED Sunday!

Thanks Sam!!! By last night she was her normal self and claimed she wasn't tired at bedtime ;)
Vanessa's XR100 is not street legal. The "plan" is for us to ride in the dirt over the winter and then she will take the MSF class in the spring. l also have a DT175 and a DRZ400 that are street legal that she can ride when she gets endorsed. And we bought her a 2002 Triumph America for when she's ready.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,290 Posts
Saw the video on faceplant, she was fairly stable :) Glad the little one is okay.

Reactions: Stablefull

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,236 Posts
Looks like I'm getting in some of my last rides on my fair weather bikes as Illinois has seemingly plunged into winter early. Blegh. Didn't even get in a final swim of the year!

Meanwhile, I have begun fixing the bad start switch on my Burgman. It'll be my winter steed so I definitely want the headlights to always work. Currently, I have to spray some brake cleaner into the switch to keep the lights on. Ugh..

In other news, my career will soon shift from IT to auto/moto journalism!! I'm hoping I'll get some serious seat time and get to review some dream bikes. :)

·
3,873 Posts
Looks like I'm getting in some of my last rides on my fair weather bikes as Illinois has seemingly plunged into winter early. Blegh. Didn't even get in a final swim of the year!

Meanwhile, I have begun fixing the bad start switch on my Burgman. It'll be my winter steed so I definitely want the headlights to always work. Currently, I have to spray some brake cleaner into the switch to keep the lights on. Ugh..

In other news, my career will soon shift from IT to auto/moto journalism!! I'm hoping I'll get some serious seat time and get to review some dream bikes. :)
Wow!!!! How cool is that?

·
3,873 Posts
We got home from the punkin patch and Vanessa decided she wanted to see if she could ride her bike out to the mailbox. It's about half a mile up a dirt road. The only hairy part is the redneck neighbors who let their two lab dogs run loose. They bark and chase cars and always chase me on my bike. This has been the most concerning thing to me regarding teaching Vanessa to ride. Sometimes the dogs are out, sometimes they aren't.

When we drove home they were not out so we decided to go for it. I went first and she followed. I swear to God, the minute they heard me come up the hill the lady opened the gate and let the dogs out. I went down the hill and watched for Vanessa to see how she did, as there wasn't much I could do. I looked back up the hill to see her stopped at the top of the hill, took a swipe at the big dog with her foot to back him up, and then calmly proceeded down the hill. That's my girl!!! We got the mail and rode back. Success!!!

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,664 Posts
l moved the handlebars forward and raised the levers
The only problem with moving bars forward for me is the 'swept back' portion of the handlebars turn up and makes for an awkward angle if pushed too far forward.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,290 Posts

Sound like a great gig, just don't forget us common folk when you become famous.

Reactions: Miss Mercedes
8321 - 8340 of 8369 Posts