Motorcycle Forum banner

8301 - 8320 of 8369 Posts

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,873 Posts
I pulled Vanessa's XR100 out and took a look at the plug. Black. Pulled the air filter. Black and gunky. Replaced both and it's running really nice now. Tomorrow she takes her maiden voyage around the property.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,290 Posts
Collision repair, thank you very much!😉
Ah, so you are a metal artist not a mechanic. But there has to be a bit of a mechanic to let a part that needs to be replaced on your own vehicle sit on the shelf for 5 years.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,664 Posts
There's not a lot of metal in cars today to be an artist with.

And lol it's up to 5 years now😁 Well see, I don't drive that truck much, the only fuel pumps available in my town right now are from o'reilly's, and I wouldn't waste my time with them. So I bought a good one in case mine gave out, but it just kept plugging along.

After changing it, I wish I'd done it years ago, the truck is night and day different right now!

I have many projects that I could complete, all necessary parts/hardware sitting on my shelves🙂. I just did replace my sump pump after having a new one in the garage for two years😁 sometimes I procrastinate

·
Registered
533 Posts
There's not a lot of metal in cars today to be an artist with.

And lol it's up to 5 years now😁 Well see, I don't drive that truck much, the only fuel pumps available in my town right now are from o'reilly's, and I wouldn't waste my time with them. So I bought a good one in case mine gave out, but it just kept plugging along.

After changing it, I wish I'd done it years ago, the truck is night and day different right now!

I have many projects that I could complete, all necessary parts/hardware sitting on my shelves🙂. I just did replace my sump pump after having a new one in the garage for two years😁 sometimes I procrastinate
with O’Reilly’s pumps, I would avoid the Master Pro line like the plague. But the Precision pumps are actually good. In the 15 years working there I only ever warrantied 1 or 2 Precision brand fuel pumps. And honestly I know one was user cause by looking at it but boss said give them a new one. Also the Import Direct pumps are just Precision in a different box.

side note here, most auto part chains carry an in house brand and most of those are just reboxed versions of everyone else’s parts. The main difference is which national brand each chain carries. And also don’t always trust and be die hard loyalist to a National brand, keep an eye out on what mechanics say about them. For example, Standard was the best you could buy in the 60’s to the 80’s but they changed production in the 90’s and went to ****. BWD which was pretty good at that time became the top tier through the 90’s and 00’s but sometime in the mid teens BWD became known as Broke When Delivered. Around this time a small but quality German company bought US Standard, and renamed the company Standard Intermotor. The Standard brand is once again premium quality and serves the US domestic market while Intermotor serves the US Import market. Who knows what’s going to happen in 10 or 20 more years.

·
Secret Agent
1,664 Posts
with O’Reilly’s pumps, I would avoid the Master Pro line like the plague. But the Precision pumps are actually good. In the 15 years working there I only ever warrantied 1 or 2 Precision brand fuel pumps. And honestly I know one was user cause by looking at it but boss said give them a new one. Also the Import Direct pumps are just Precision in a different box.

side note here, most auto part chains carry an in house brand and most of those are just reboxed versions of everyone else’s parts. The main difference is which national brand each chain carries. And also don’t always trust and be die hard loyalist to a National brand, keep an eye out on what mechanics say about them. For example, Standard was the best you could buy in the 60’s to the 80’s but they changed production in the 90’s and went to ****. BWD which was pretty good at that time became the top tier through the 90’s and 00’s but sometime in the mid teens BWD became known as Broke When Delivered. Around this time a small but quality German company bought US Standard, and renamed the company Standard Intermotor. The Standard brand is once again premium quality and serves the US domestic market while Intermotor serves the US Import market. Who knows what’s going to happen in 10 or 20 more years.
I bought their precision line for a 97 Bravada, lifetime warranty. Replaced it twice under warranty, got about 2 years out of each unit. That's NOT. A fun vehicle to wrestle a fuel tank out of.

My 01 Yukon was running perfectly, had drove to Wichita for dog training. Drove back to Augusta and stopped 5 minutes at the Mrs daughter's house. Yukon wouldn't start. ~90 miles from home, this isn't a good feeling. I beat on the tank, pump started working, I took off for home. Along the way, there were times it ran great, could do 70, other times I could only milk ~40. It completely gave out 3 miles from home(this is the OEM pump with ~100k on it at the time.

Needing a pump in a hurry, o'reilly's was my only choice. Precision again. That pump is still in there, 3 years later. But from the first fill-up after installing, the fuel sensor has been kaput. It'll register full immediately after filling, then drop to empty seconds later and low fuel displays. It'll go between full and empty for a few miles before normalizing.

I'm not a fan.

·
3,873 Posts
We went down to Triumph of Seattle and picked up Lolali after getting her serviced and a new pair of shoes. Man does she ride nice and smooth now!!! I made it ALMOST all the way home before getting rained on. Of course now the sun is shining.

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
If you had put your rain gear on before you left to go home, you would have made it home dry. That seems to be the way it always works for me anyway.

·
Secret Agent
1,664 Posts
I made it ALMOST all the way home before getting rained on.
If you had put your rain gear on before you left to go home, you would have made it home dry. That seems to be the way it always works for me anyway.

Hey Stable, there's one in every crowd isn't there😉🤭😁

·
7,902 Posts
I went out for Breakfast yesterday and ate too much and somebody took this picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sam

·
3,873 Posts
I don't actually own any meaningful rain gear. When I say "rain" it is very different from when you say "rain." The rain that I rode through probably amounted to 1/4" in a day.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't actually own any meaningful rain gear. When I say "rain" it is very different from when you say "rain." The rain that I rode through probably amounted to 1/4" in a day.
But here in WA you never know when it will rain, nor how long it will last, and there is always the fun of the rain with sunshine at the same time.

Now when I lived in FL you could plan on the rain every day at around 6pm and lasting for 30 to 45 minutes and dumping around 5" of rain in that time. 30 mins later you would never know it had rained.

·
Ace Tuner
2,579 Posts
That's just an extra humid day around here.

S F

·
3,873 Posts
But here in WA you never know when it will rain, nor how long it will last, and there is always the fun of the rain with sunshine at the same time.

Now when I lived in FL you could plan on the rain every day at around 6pm and lasting for 30 to 45 minutes and dumping around 5" of rain in that time. 30 mins later you would never know it had rained.
Exactly. There have been a few times I really gotten soaked, but rarely. I wouldn't have chosen to ride yesterday except we had to get the bike out of the shop.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
177 Posts
Today was new air filter day on my 06 CBR 1000rr, first time in 14 years🤭. Also installing a Speedo healer.

View attachment 64034
View attachment 64035

Ran immediately in to my first issue in this disclaimer. I guess we'll see.

View attachment 64036

Removed seat a tank cowling
View attachment 64037

Pulled the two side fuel tank bolts out, lifted tank and stuck an all thread through the mounting point to support the tank(genius!)
View attachment 64038

Pretty simple to access the air filters(compared to the AT)
View attachment 64039

They needed changed...
View attachment 64040

While the tank was up, this gives great access to the speed sensor on top the transmission. Unplugged it and inserted the speedohealer wire harness in-between the sensor plugs. Located speedohealer control unit under passenger seat(easy key access), and ran the top speed indicator wire up to the handlebars (it's not necessary, but it's included so I used it).
View attachment 64041

Reassembled, no bolts or clips left over!
View attachment 64042

I guesstimated how far it was off, think 66 indicated, 60 actual. Programmed in a -09.1 value and went for a spin. I guesstimated wrong. At this value I was 58/59 indicated, 60 actual. Reprogrammed unit, I'll see how close I am on the way home.
GREAT looking bike!!!
I use a GPS. I think my speedo is about 3mph over actual over 60mph or so.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
177 Posts
Finally, time to catch up! I rode 178 miles on Sunday, 138 yesterday! I had replaced part of the hose on the chain oiler because on the ride last week, it had come loose and was lying on the muffler, creating a wonderful burning smell. My father-in-law drilled a hole back in there somewhere to route the new hose, and now I have a nice, properly lubricated chain!! I'm not sure it was working quite right prior to that, so good thing it happened. Took a new section of US 160 on Sunday that I had never ridden before and it was (not surprisingly) awesome!!!
I bought a new Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen and got it put on Tuesday. I HATED the Kawi one all last winter (bought the bike new in February) because the cold air goes right around and down my neck. Even though it was 83 degrees, I could tell that it's going to be a winner for winter! The air definitely goes over and more around me. Here it is prior to its maiden voyage:

And after 138 miles:

They never really get clean again, do they??:giggle:

Fall foliage update: I can't believe how early and vibrantly they're turning right around here! But further south there's still a lot of green. Hope the weather cooperates for some more leaf-peeping rides!

Latest flair: A new green NINJA hand spinner!!! Couldn't manage to get it to orient right side up...

If I want to ride to class this weekend, sounds like the leather jacket and heated gear will have to come out...😫

Attachments

·
On The Road Again!
3,460 Posts
Today was one of the most BEAUTIFUL days of the year!
72 degrees and clear blue skies in October! Amazing.
So....I rode up to bike night at the JumboLand diner.
A bunch of other people had the same idea. There were
about 30 bikes there tonight, which is a good turnout for
this late in the season.
But.....No Mike or Candy!
Oh where oh where could they be on such a GREAT
evening?

8301 - 8320 of 8369 Posts