Motorcycle Forum banner

8081 - 8100 of 8196 Posts

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
242 Posts
The infamous spawn of satan automatic full cutoff some of the 80s Honda’s has. Looks like it was already disconnected.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
242 Posts
^^^^*. The new battery, sitting under the spark units. So cool, you can tell, they haven’t been touched from the factory.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
242 Posts
This is one of the things I look for on a rebuild or restore. The rubber on the pegs and shift lever. Effin like new.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Holy cow! I notice the poorer handling when mine get just a couple of pounds low.
That bike must have handled terrible!
It did, quite wobbly around a corner, especially on the front end. Between the low tires and the rear shocks being set for a very small rider, it wasn't a ride that gave me any confidence in a corner. Vanessa and I weigh about 405 combined. Now it's much better.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Today we took off on Lady Liberty and caught the ferry from Edmonds over to Kingston, then rode down the peninsula to Port Orchard to look at a new car for Vanessa, a 2009 Acura MDX. She loves her CRV but with Halle and l joining the family, we need 3rd row seating, and my old Landcruiser, as cool as it is....let's just say the kids don't appreciate it ;) The car was in better condition than we could have hoped for, 113k miles, and bought it from a young family that is having a really difficult time financially.

After half an hour of bullshit at the bank that I won't bore you with, we got the title and went for Mexican food, then rode up the peninsula and took the Port Townsend ferry onto Whidbey island, then rode north and home through Skagit Valley. The Lady rode beautifully. Her tires were low and I filled them properly, and also adjusted the rear shocks to a much heavier setting. I am really happy with her now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well I need to catch up here a bit. So a week ago I got my Trail 90 back from the body shop. I sent it to a high school shop for the kids to paint for me and it got locked down in the building when this COVID stuff happened. I am friends with the instructor so I knew my bike was safe, he was actually my auto body instructor back when I was in HS in the early 90's. So now that the frame is Toxic Orange (Dodge Hellcat) and a medium grey for the plastics, I decided to start on all the other goodies I didn't send to the body shop. My center stand, and a couple other parts were really rusty so they were soaked in a bath of Evapo-Rust and those parts that were not too bad got sanded down and painted with a gloss ceramic black.

Last night I took all the rusty spokes out of the wheels and I am getting ready to send the rims and hubs out to be powder coated. Gloss or semi gloss black for those. Tonight I am going to try to locate the handle bar controls and see what needs to be done to them, or maybe I will put the steering head back together... not sure yet which part I am going to tackle.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,402 Posts
I had noticed my CRF 230l had what appeared to be wafer thin rear brake pads. It's got ~4850 miles. Think about watching my oldest son ride it and locking up the rear wheel, I thought his 6'4" ~230lbs might have aided in early brake wear. Really, idk, might just be the way it's gonna be.

So I ordered a set for front and rear and procrastinated installing them. Road the 230 in today. Started the day tearing my crf250x apart for a bit of a make over: full set of OEM plastics (all of them), new tires and tubes, new plastics on my bark busters. Fully intend to strip it down and thoroughly clean it inside and out to remove remnants of my harescramble days. Also rebuilding front forks.

About mid afternoon, with only the engine and front forks left on the crf250x, I decided I'd replace those brake pads on the 230.

Literally took 5 minutes to replace front and rear. Remove one pin from caliper, pull out old pads, slip in new pads and reinstall the pin.

Why can't all brake calipers be so easy?

To compress piston I simply pushed caliper back in by hand prior to removing pads.

·
Visionary
3,840 Posts
Didn't get this posted the other day: I turned over 10,000 miles! Bought the bike new in February. View attachment 63556
10,000 miles in 6 months on a sport bike. Some people don’t ride them 10,000 miles in 6 years.
You are clearly a rider :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On The Road Again!
3,419 Posts
My buddy and I rode almost exactly 200 miles today in a big loop.
We started out heading northeast from Jersey up into Harriman State Park in NY.
From there, we headed east over the Bear Mountain Bridge, then north along the Hudson River
as far as Beacon NY where we turned west over the Beacon Bridge back over the
Hudson River again. From there, we rode route 52 through and over parts of the Catskill
mountains to Ellenville NY where we had lunch at a nice diner. From there, it was south
on route 209 down to Port Jervis and into the northwest corner of New Jersey. We then
followed a couple of back roads that took us out to route 206 where we stopped at
the JumboLand Diner for ice cream.
Finally, a short hop home and we were done for the day. Almost exactly 200 miles.
And it was a BEAUTIFUL day weather wise, puffy clouds and temps holding between
68 and 75 all day! You can't ask for better than that!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
What did I do with my bike today? Nothing, but I should have climbed on it this morning and went, somewhere, anywhere.

I went out to work on my son's bike this morning, then I had to fix the vent hood over the stove. (Wires came loose).
Then my daughter bought some bunk beds in Springdale. She doesn't have a pickup, but I do. :(

It seems like every 5 or 6 months, all the furniture in the house has to be rearranged. It was today. I should have got on the bike and gone somewhere.

·
Secret Agent
1,402 Posts
LMAO! I know the rearranging of furniture all too well!

Road my CBR to the shop to work on my dirt bike and installed my new SW Motech daypack tank bag on my CBR. Road home after dark. It was then I realized how much I like the driving lights I'd installed on my AT.

I gotta get something on the CBR. High beams are ok, but low beams felt like I was out running them at 65!

·
Secret Agent
1,402 Posts
The first Mrs CRracer rearranged monthly! It also involved MY stuff. Like my hygiene products would be moved from one shelf to another or in a cabinet the next time, unbeknownst to me.

I do NOT miss that.

Fortunately, the current Mrs CRracer changes her mind so much on how things will get rearranged, it never actually gets moved🤣😂

It took awhile to figure out it's best to just agree, even if it's something that couldn't physically work, just agree with it, cause it'll never happen anyways.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Ever come home and feel like you've walked into someone else's house? Or come home late and leave the lights off because everyone is asleep, then crash in to a chair that ain't supposed to be there? Break a toe on a king size bed because when you left, it was a full size bed?

8081 - 8100 of 8196 Posts