Motorcycle Forum banner

7721 - 7740 of 7843 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I finally got my new tires installed and the weather looks good for a ride tomorrow. Also picked up a Corbin passenger seat for my wife. Hopefully its better than the factory one. After an hour or so she'd start to get a little sore. I have a lot more "built in" padding than she does!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,844 Posts
Was out riding, got a fairly early start, rode til it started getting hot so I stopped at a local dealership, had a Coke and looked at all the new bikes I can't afford.

Left the dealership and was heading home, waved at a few other riders out on the highway, heck, I waved at all of them, I don't care what they're riding, they're riding that's all that matters. Everything was going just fine, and then...I sneezed inside my helmet before I could even raise the face shield.

I hate when I do that. But a few minutes with a clean rag and window cleaner makes the helmet look new again!
Bless you!

Reactions: CRracer712

·
7,502 Posts
It's a beautiful warm and sunny day in GOD's country, SW Missiour!

It was 75 when I left @ 8:45 AM on the Africa Twin and went South about 20 miles from home and remembered a cool barn so I stopped and took a picture:

I then decided I was hungry and cut west to a Denny's in Joplin, MO and over ate---but it was Sooooo good

Had to wear a mask:

86 miles total because it was getting real hot! 95 and a heat index of over 100 degrees.

Nice ride though as the ATAS is an amazing steed!

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
We just got back from a donut run to our local HD dealer. Only 140 miles. The ride there was nice but coming home the temperature was getting to the rough side. But it’s the heat index that gets scary. 102 degrees and still rising fast. This old body just isn’t taking the heat like it used to.

·
On The Road Again!
3,270 Posts
It's a beautiful warm and sunny day in GOD's country, SW Missiour!

I then decided I was hungry and cut west to a Denny's in Joplin, MO and over ate---but it was Sooooo good
View attachment 62800

View attachment 62801

Had to wear a mask:
View attachment 62802

86 miles total because it was getting real hot! 95 and a heat index of over 100 degrees.

Nice ride though as the ATAS is an amazing steed!

After eating all that food, it's no wonder that you're Porky!
LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I finally took the saddle bags off the T Bird and adjusted the rear shocks. I couldn't believe they were set at the lowest setting. The guy I bought it from was a smaller man, but he and his wife rode 2up on the bike regularly from what he told me. I set it on the heaviest setting for Vanessa and I...we go about 410 between us. It's perfect now. I noticed a huge difference going through corners. Before it was almost spongy and didn't want to lean. Now she just rolls right in and finds a groove.

·
On The Road Again!
3,270 Posts
I got in a short ride this morning before it got too hot.
Then I retreated to my airconditioned shop to mount
a tire. I had picked up a spare front wheel on Ebay.
It needed a bit of cleaning and polishing before
putting my new tire on it. That took an hour or so
to get all the tarnish off of it. Then the new tire went
on. Worth the effort. So now I'll be able to keep
a spare tire mounted and ready to go. In this particular
case, I'll install the wheel with the new tire for my
vacation trip coming up in two weeks. When I get back,
I'll re-install the old wheel and tire. The old tire still has some
meat left on it and I don't want to throw it away yet.
I'll finish wearing it out locally after I get home.
But for the trip, I'll be riding on new rubber.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
If you ever meet him in person, you'll find that Porky really doesn't do him justice. Sam isn't a fat guy...he's a giant man who became a computer geek because he was too big for the NFL ;)
There is more truth than fiction there.(y)

·
Visionary
3,654 Posts
Had some 'fun' on Saturday, took a nice long 300 mile side roads ride on my '78 Honda, and almost ended up walking or towing it home :)

Candy was riding her Scout, I took the Hawk to test it out after changing out the tach drive oil seal and hopefully fixing the biggest oil leak it had. We rode up PA 191 all the way to where it crosses into NY at Hancock, stopped for home baked pastries and lattes in a great little shop that we found out was sadly closing in a month :-(, and then gassed up and rode down NY 97 along the scenic Delaware river, down through Hawks nest and then headed towards Port Jervis to cross back into Pennsylvania and head home, probably stopping for lunch somewhere along the way.

The first 200 miles went fine other than 2 small but nasty thunderstorms, but rain is OK in 90F weather and other than being slightly soggy it was a good ride. Then just after returning to civilization we caught a red light just before the evil Port Jervis grated bridge, and my Honda stalled. I'm thinking 'Hmm, that's different' , but it restarted and the light was green so I went ahead and crossed that nasty, slippery bridge, thinking, well, it's running OK, it's a 42 year old carburated bike, I guess it burped, no big deal.

Rode another mile or two and caught another light, and the bike stalled again. It started but was running rough, I decided I better pull over, and just then Candy tells me that she smells gas and then she notices something dripping out off my engine and i realized that I smelled gas too... nothing good can come from gas pouring on a hot engine! My leg was wet too I realized. I needed to stop and NOW.

I looked up and there was a big shopping center, restaurants, Walmart, and Lowes..at least we won't starve if we stop there and if we need tools... in we go. I parked at a Perkin's restaurant, looked down and saw gas running out of the left hand carb overflow, down the engine, and boiling on the hot exhaust underneath. NOT GOOD! I shut off the petcock and in a few seconds it stopped, I backed away and waited a few minutes till I felt it was less likely to blow up in my face. Turned it back on, fuel ran out again, turned it off again.

OK, by now I pretty much had diagnosed a stuck or broken float / inlet needle valve, hmm I might be able to fix that on the side of the road if I can get the carb fuel bowl off but it's way to hot to work on it now so we went in and had a nice lunch. We made call, had a backup plan to have Candy's daughter come with a trailer if needed but told her to hold off for a while, Mr. roadside mechanic was going to give it a shot first.

I thought about what I needed, I didn't have any tools so I rode Candy's Scout about 1/4 mile to Lowes to get some screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. I came back and decided to try flushing the carb bowl a few times before I took it off, either the ancient carburetor wisdom from my youth was slowly coming back to me or else the food jump started my brain and I thought I might be able to do it that way without taking the carb apart and risking ripping an old gasket.

I went through 2 cycles of draining the bowl to let the float drop, hopefully dislodging the dirt that was pinned in the valve, tapping on it to free it up if it's stuck, then opening the fuel up to flush ti out and to see if it overflowed again, the third was the charm, no leaking!

I rode it around the parking lot, no more dripping, no more stalling so we headed home..100 miles later was home with no more issues. I drained the fuel bowl once I was home and found a little piece of crap that was probably the culprit. I might add an inline fuel filter, the bike has none and this is a common issue and fix.

I think I'm going to make up a small tool kit and stick in under the seat, there was a reason these antiques came with a tool set :cool:

·
7,502 Posts
Glad you made it home Mike!

I had something similar like that happen once on my Built to the hilt, HD Electra Glide, with a HUGE S&S Super G carb, as I was cruising at over 100 mph on Interstate 8, going out of San Diego, CA, due East. The road at that time was devoid of traffic so I decided to GOOSE it to the MAX but as I approached 110 or so the power just gently died and I let up on the throttle and coasted to the side but by the time I got down to just 1/4 throttle or so, it started running fine again! I repeated the same test and it happened again, several times, so I turned around and headed the 70 or so miles to get home in Hemet, CA.

I knew it wasn't the normal ECU cutoff @ 5,100 RPM that all big twin EVO Harley's had because I had a 6,500 RPM Sportster ECU I installed and I also had a 'Pingle' high flow DRAG RACING fuel valve so I I knew I was getting fuel so I removed the float bowl and at the bottom of the bowl was a little 1/4 by 1/4 inch piece of black gasket material, that was being sucked at high RPM's and flow, up against the main jet tube and in essence cutting the flow off! As the demand for fuel lessened, it casually dropped down into the float bowl. :)

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
865 Posts
@Porky @Retired Guy you might get rain today, I am!

I had some office supplies and a pack of agua. It was already in the back of the Yukon, so planned on driving that. The Mrs, much to my chagrin, parked in my way again, so I loaded a spare tote and away I went.

I've got rain gear this time!

·
7,502 Posts
Stay off of that 'Red brick road,' in Chanute! I bet it is slick when wet!

Sam:cool:

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
865 Posts
Lol, you talking about the red brick Google intersection at main and Lincoln or one of the dozens of red brick streets?🙂

I still can't believe Chanute was dumb enough to kiss Google's butt thinking they actually had a shot at being their epicenter...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Well the overcast skies kept the temperature down. It was a good time to get the bike in to the shop and change the oil and filter. And since they're so easy to get to, I pulled the spark plugs out and cleaned them up a little bit.

The temperature isn't that bad right now, but the humidity still bites.

·
Visionary
3,654 Posts
I took my Kingpin to work today. I don't ride the Kingpin for commuting too often because I really don't like having to wear a backpack with my laptop etc and having to bring my helmet and jacket in through security is a pain but today will be the hottest day of the year so far and the humidity is awful too, I want all the fresh air I can get.

It's parked next to a co-workers 100th anniversary Harley, a beautiful old bike that he takes excellent care of but still rides most days, year round.

7721 - 7740 of 7843 Posts