Motorcycle Forum banner

7501 - 7520 of 7611 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
576 Posts
Thanks!
The gas cans nozzles sold today are almost impossible to use, I spent 5 futile minutes trying to fill up my lawn tractor from a new gas can, and had put about 2 quarts in the tank and 1/2 quart on the ground. I gave up, took off the nozzle, got out a funnel, and filled the 4 gallon tank in about a minute.
Just an update Mike. Still hasn't leaked a drop even after several miles down a gravel road shaking it.

·
7,253 Posts
Wait and see, no matter where you go or what you do on your AT, you will obsess and worry about the tire going flat unless you put a new tube in right away, as there is nothing worse than a flat in the heartland of Kansas, miles from anywhere, when it's 90+ degrees this time of year.;)

Sam:)

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Probably gonna tear it down momentarily and inspect, then decide.

I'll most likely patch it for now, new tube is on the way. May actually get a new tube today as oldest son is headed to a dealer in Grandview to look at bikes. Told him to see if they have one there.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
61 Posts
Got home yesterday from teaching trike class in KC, 475-mile trip. Met my friend from Des Moines who rides a 2013 NINJA 300 (she caged it this trip, though) and we had a ball!!!! 4800+ miles on the bike, tire tread is getting down there. My new tires have been at the shop for awhile; probably better get an appointment made in the next couple weeks!

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Hehe, idk what I'd have done without my tire changer! Remounting the tire was a little difficult even WITH the tire changer.

I may invest power assist arm for my tire changer. As it was, I had to hold two tire irons between bead and tire to keep the bead dropped down during install. A 3rd arm/hand would have been invaluable. Without the clamping table, I can't imagine how much chasing around the rim I'd have done with tire irons.

I'm glad I marked the spot on the tire where the nail was(nice shiny new roofing nail). I had to refer back to that mark to identify the hole in the tube, actually stretching the tube to expose the hole, very small. Patched up fine. We'll see how she lasts. I don't particularly want to do that very often and will give some serious thought to converting my spoked rims to tubeless capable. Plugging a tire is simply much easier..

·
On The Road Again!
3,156 Posts
4800+ miles on the bike, tire tread is getting down there. My new tires have been at the shop for awhile; probably better get an appointment made in the next couple weeks!
4800 miles and the tires are shot??? What are those tires made of? Chewing gum???
I ride a 950 pound Goldwing and I get about 18,000 miles out of a front tire!
It's a Michelin Commander II....and I'm not that easy on 'em either!
With tires like yours, I'd be changing tires every other month!

·
7,253 Posts
Today I did a complete service on my new ATAS @ 570 miles, using a Honda oil filter and Honda recommended oil. Once the stubborn skid plate was removed the job was a snap, with the 2 drain plugs readily available and the oil filter right out in the open. As usual on a new bike, the oil filter was obviously installed by a Gorilla and not easy to remove. Chain was in spec's and all fasteners were tight. Having my own Hydraulic lift makes the job so much easier than laying on the cold hard concrete like I used to.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
61 Posts
4800 miles and the tires are shot??? What are those tires made of? Chewing gum???
I ride a 950 pound Goldwing and I get about 18,000 miles out of a front tire!
It's a Michelin Commander II....and I'm not that easy on 'em either!
With tires like yours, I'd be changing tires every other month!
Yep. Seems it's a sport bike thing. My tires are a dual compound Dunlops so they're better than a pure sport bike tire. I had a student who had bought a ZX14 with 2500 miles on it (Seems that it had scared the original owner. Go figure). After the tire discussion we have in class, we took my tread depth measurement tool out to check his tires. They were done. He had no clue.

·
Visionary
3,540 Posts
Yep. Seems it's a sport bike thing. My tires are a dual compound Dunlops so they're better than a pure sport bike tire. I had a student who had bought a ZX14 with 2500 miles on it (Seems that it had scared the original owner. Go figure). After the tire discussion we have in class, we took my tread depth measurement tool out to check his tires. They were done. He had no clue.
I'm glad i ride cruisers and touring bikes, I'd be changing tires every month at that rate! Thank goodness Dunlop E4s wear like iron, I need a new rear on my 08 Vision very soon but at least I got about 23K out of it.

·
Visionary
3,540 Posts
Didn't ride all weekend, was too busy digging holes, pouring concrete and building new wooden steps and an extension to the patios in the yard. In 95F and what felt like 111% humidity with thunderstorms! Riding into work this morning on my 08 Vision was a great feeling, even though with it 75F at 4 Am it's bound to be another hot one later today.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Got my GPS mounted. Used the zumo 395 as I'm thinking I'll install the Garmin TPMS.

Now to find a suitable tubing mount for my camera. Should be easy to mount with the crash bars.

·
7,253 Posts
Looks very good and should be safer! :)

I finished my first service on the Africa Twin this afternoon aside from a intensive top to bottom detail on the entire bike. It wasn't a bit of fun @ 88 degrees, 60% humidity and a heat index of 95!!!! :(

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks very good and should be safer! :)
Thanks!

I finished my first service on the Africa Twin this afternoon aside from a intensive top to bottom detail on the entire bike. It wasn't a bit of fun @ 88 degrees, 60% humidity and a heat index of 95!!!! :(

I can't think of very many outdoor things that are fun with a heat index of 95. Maybe sitting in the shade with a frosty glass of lemonade?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Center stand arrived and installed.

Had an old antique spring installer tool that made installing the springs about a 5 second job each.

·
On The Road Again!
3,156 Posts
Didn't ride all weekend, was too busy digging holes, pouring concrete and building new wooden steps and an extension to the patios in the yard. In 95F and what felt like 111% humidity with thunderstorms! Riding into work this morning on my 08 Vision was a great feeling, even though with it 75F at 4 Am it's bound to be another hot one later today.
I didn't ride this weekend either. But I did NOT pour concrete or build steps!
That kinda crap is what I do for a living. NO THANKS!
I sat inside in the air conditioning and played on the computer!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Didn't ride this weekend at all. Keeping it clean so I don't have to wash it in the heat and humidity. ;);)

Installations on the GPS and the lights both look neat and clean. (y)

7501 - 7520 of 7611 Posts