Motorcycle Forum banner

7481 - 7500 of 7593 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
565 Posts
Been wanting a rear rack for the 230 for quite some time. Since OEM isn't an option anymore, I went with Precision Made Racks. And since my boy an I have had a few excursions where he's used reserve, I put a 1 gallon roto-pax on it. With a full tank of gas and the spare gallon, it'll easily go over 200 miles now😁

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
So day two with the copilot backrest on the AT, and it's two days in a row she's asked me to take her for a ride.

Both evenings have been excellent weather. Nearing my first thousand miles since picking it up on the 30th.

·
Visionary
3,533 Posts
Have you tried the gas can yet? Are they totally leak proof? They don't appear to be vented which is actually good I think. I want to find some kind of extra gas supply to carry on my bikes for some of the long rides I'm planning since they might have me in areas where stations are few and far between and my range is only about 250 miles at 80 mph so I usually fill up at 200 to be safe.
I'm thinking about putting the gas in the saddle bags instead of mounting something externally since I don't use them to hold anything on long rides anyway. But those bags are pretty well sealed, I don't want a leak or vapor building up in them so I think I need a very well sealed non vented can to be safe, unless I vent the bags somehow.

Been wanting a rear rack for the 230 for quite some time. Since OEM isn't an option anymore, I went with Precision Made Racks. And since my boy an I have had a few excursions where he's used reserve, I put a 1 gallon roto-pax on it. With a full tank of gas and the spare gallon, it'll easily go over 200 miles now😁

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
No vent, no leak in a day anyways 🙂

There's an options yellow 'water' spout they sell that I've replaced the CARB compliant included spout with. After reading the futility in trying to get fuel out of CARB nozzle, I didn't even try it. And after seeing it, I can see why.

Others that don't switch to the 'water' nozzle seemed to just use a funnel and no nozzle🙂

The cutaway view of these cans show them to be extremely thick.

·
Visionary
3,533 Posts
No vent, no leak in a day anyways 🙂

There's an options yellow 'water' spout they sell that I've replaced the CARB compliant included spout with. After reading the futility in trying to get fuel out of CARB nozzle, I didn't even try it. And after seeing it, I can see why.

Others that don't switch to the 'water' nozzle seemed to just use a funnel and no nozzle🙂

The cutaway view of these cans show them to be extremely thick.
Thanks!
The gas cans nozzles sold today are almost impossible to use, I spent 5 futile minutes trying to fill up my lawn tractor from a new gas can, and had put about 2 quarts in the tank and 1/2 quart on the ground. I gave up, took off the nozzle, got out a funnel, and filled the 4 gallon tank in about a minute.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
'water' nozzle is yellow, CARB nozzle is black. Check out the tiny hole in compliant nozzle. You twist that red ring to lock it open or closed, but either way, ain't much getting through that hole...

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Satan rolls on the floor laughing every time somebody tries to use one of those new gas can nozzles.

I have no idea what prompted the requirements for the newer nozzle. When I heard about the issues they had with flowing fuel or even trying to use them, I'd went to Wally world and bought all the old style gas cans they had, with the old nozzles.

I've never had a gas can issue, don't know anyone that has. Other than these new fangled nozzles not pouring worth anything.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,581 Posts
I believe it is the EPA, they are supposed to capture gas fumes. I have a couple with the first gen version. You have to push in a lock, hook the edge of the nozzle on the edge of the filler neck and push down. Gas flows well with these and as an added benefit the shuts off when the gas reaches the face of the nozzle so no spill.

Those worked well once you learned how to use them, but they have changed them again.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I've got one of maybe the first gen models, has a big gray lever to depress, but in order to depress the lever, there's a little black locking piece that extends out both side the the gray lever, very much like a Glock slide takedown lever.

It poured fine, but the nozzle was so short after the gray lever, you couldn't stick it in anything (that's what she said). The whole assembly finally broke so there's no stopping gas coming out now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Every one I've ever owned with the twist ring (as you showed in your picture, Rod) the ring mechanism has broken and the spring is hanging out. I use a screwdriver to jam the spring under the edge of the ring to hold it in the open position. So I guess, the sooner it breaks the sooner it becomes useful to me.

·
American Legion Rider
20,598 Posts
Sounds like they missed the KISS concept. I've not seen one of these new fangled spots but hope I never do. I'll just keep my old spots that have zero restricts and just flow until you stop it. Many times with fuel on the floor cause I can't see the fuel level coming up in that dark hole on the tank. The very think I think these new spots are supposed to stop. Or at least one of the things.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
It's a tube tire, on my AT. Normally I'd plug it and go...

Must not be too bad, I aired it up and ran my errands after work and rode home, still had 40 psi when I got home. It was flat when I tried to go to the bank, about 3 hours after getting back from lunch.

Decided to order a spare inner tube, had to go with OEM as I couldn't find a 150/70-18 tube. Got some patches.

I saw slime had stuff for inner tubes, anyone every tried that stuff?

7481 - 7500 of 7593 Posts