Motorcycle Forum banner

7041 - 7060 of 7124 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts
I still don't think it will be a problem because you can't be running the bike very long without fuel so there is little to no chance to over-heat the pump or run it dry. It just dies and all is well. The real problem with fuel pumps comes from people that run their bikes to almost empty on bikes that have the pump inside the tank. In those cases they are potentially over-heating the pumps to premature failure. The fuel the pump is in is the cooling agent and almost empty the pump is above that fuel level in many if not all cases. In your case, once the fuel line is empty it dies, no over-heating is happening. JMHO, maybe others have differing opinions but that's mine.

·
Visionary
3,151 Posts
Thats a good point, running fuel pump dry is bad for it, though I doubt a few seconds will hurt it compared to what happens when you run out of gas and try get those last couple of miles in.

Okay, but this is an older bike with the fuel pump under the seat that I was thinking about. So I reckon I shouldn't do that anymore with that bike.

·
Visionary
3,151 Posts
Rode into work in the beautiful, warm, 45F morning. Should be even nicer later on.
Spring is early.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Rain, lightening, thunder and hail this morning at 6:00 - 7:00 AM, now 2 1/2 hours later blue sky is starting to peek through the clouds. :)

But Papa is watching Paw Patrol and baby sitting the granddaughter. :rolleyes:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,036 Posts
On the Yammie (same as yours RG) it is external. As long as you don't let it run long dry you are fine.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I haven't done it in a while now. When cold weather hit, I filled the tank up and then added Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to the tank. Then I rode the bike home, about 5 miles.

I shut the petcock off but didn't run it out of fuel like I would normally do when parking the bike for what may be a few weeks or more. I figured everything would be okay with the fuel stabilizer in it.

Appreciate the replies and opinions on the matter though.

·
Visionary
3,151 Posts
I never was a fan of running the bowls dry, in my opinion that is looking for rubber things to dry out. I would shut fuel off but leave the carb fuel bowls full. If the winter layover was long in a month or so I'd go out, turn on the fuel and cycle the fuel pump, but not start the engine, just to replace any fuel that evaporated from the bowls.
I never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Got to go deliver a new Low Rider to my son at work. He had to drive this morning because of the rain, thunder, lightening, hail and just generally bad weather earlier today.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
130 Posts
I wiped it down with Lysol.
Then covered the air box and crankcase vents with paper towels.
Put a small dose of Statbul in the tank.
Then moved it at least 3 meters away from the lawnmowers and weed wackers.
And decided I’m not going to ride with or around any other bikes for 14 days.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
130 Posts
Especially the Beemers and Ducatis and Moto Guzzis and Aprilias, right? (Since travel from Europe is banned for 30 days.)

I think my Beemer has developed a cough.
Yes Sir.
I don’t mean to overact, but I wanna be safe.

Maybe u should throw a voltmeter on the battery of that Beemer. Anything over 14.4................I’d call the dealer.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Went riding with my son for a while today. His girlfriend likes my Mustang touring seat a lot better than his factory Harley Low Rider seat. Ha ha ha! Too bad I had to drop her off at her car. Its not every day I get to feel a pretty girl squeezing around my middle. 🥴

Temperature hit 80 in Gravette today, (according to the outdoor time/temp sign), but as the afternoon stretched towards evening, my arms started getting cool so when we stopped for gas, it was time for a light jacket.

Riding highway 90 east out of Noel, Missouri has a lot of curves and some nice little hills. Our riding styles are really not that compatible. He attacks each corner like I would attack a rack of baby back ribs. His radar bait riding keeps him stopping and waiting on his 5 MPH at most over the posted limit dad.

Probably another reason his girlfriend would rather ride my bike. :unsure: Anyhow, I had a good ride and the high tomorrow is now being predicted in the 40's, so I'm glad I got a few miles in today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I stripped out a brake caliper bolt, fun times. Previous owner had already chewed it up pretty bad. Looks like I will be really be pushing these brake pads until a new bolt arrives and I can hopefully get this one out by hammering in a torx bit. Does anyone know why the Japanese and im sure others insist on using allen head bolts for pretty much everything on a motorcycle? No bolts have I stripped out more than allen heads.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Does anyone know why the Japanese and im sure others insist on using allen head bolts for pretty much everything on a motorcycle? No bolts have I stripped out more than allen heads.
Old habits die hard with old engineers? It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks? It's likely that Torx fasteners cost slightly more than allen, and we all know that vehicle manufacturers will shave a nickle off the CGS of their products whenever they can.

The engine oil, transmission, and final drive drain plugs on my Beemer are allen head. I hold my breath and say a prayer every time I need to break one of them loose.

·
Registered
106 Posts
would you rather they be hex head? don't answer that..

hex isn't as clean of a look. a BHCS is a clean look, low profile, wont snag or cause clearance issues. allen is better than phillips, even if it is JIS. there's nothing that says you can't replace all your allen bolts with hex if you want.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't care about say the fairing bolts or anything that doesn't require a a high torque spec. The bolts that keep my caliper on? Yes I would prefer them to be a hex head. I recently did a valve adjustment, all the bolts that hold the cam plate on are allen, yes I would prefer those to be hex, who wouldn't? But is what it is.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I've got some little scratches on my rear fender because I couldn't use a regular wrench on a couple bolts. Next time they come out, regular bolts are going back in.

·
Registered
Yamaha FZ yamaha WR250 X Honda Shadow 500cc
61 Posts
Running your bike for 5-10 minutes is not good for it. Condensation will build up and not have time to burn off.
I appreciate the advise ,i feel like its negligent not to move the cyliders for many months as we're under winter seige ,my garage does not reach freezing

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Because of the rain and generally bad weather today. I didn't do anything with it. Yesterday when I parked it, I didn't put the cover over it, been having a condensation problem. My plan was to cover the bike today after it had sat and cooled off overnight. Maybe I'll remember to go out there tomorrow, look it over and cover it up.

7041 - 7060 of 7124 Posts