Motorcycle Forum banner

6981 - 7000 of 7003 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not today, but Thursday evening the roads were dry and the temperatures in the low 40's so I rode to the monthly BMW club meeting. Of the 35 or so members who showed up, I was the only one who rode.

I have got to find an upgrade for my high beam headlight bulb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have not been able to get my cb750 to start and run for a while now.

Decided to do the trick that got my little cb100 running.

Starts and kinda idles, still needs some tweaking.

All I did was installed brand new plugs and filled the gas tank past half full, and she fired.

I had just enough gas to cover the petcock area in the tank, thought that would have been enough.

Guess not......duh.

·
Visionary
2,939 Posts
I have got to find an upgrade for my high beam headlight bulb.
What kind of bulb does it take? I’ve had good luck with various led bulbs from OPT7, you might want to see if they make something you can use. They are in California and have good customer service if you need them too unlike a lot of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Visionary
2,939 Posts
Have not been able to get my cb750 to start and run for a while now.

Decided to do the trick that got my little cb100 running.

Starts and kinda idles, still needs some tweaking.

All I did was installed brand new plugs and filled the gas tank past half full, and she fired.

I had just enough gas to cover the petcock area in the tank, thought that would have been enough.

Guess not......duh.
My Visions will drive you nuts when low on fuel they won’t start on the side stand. The tanks are split and the pump is in the right one, when it’s low and on the stand the fuel is all in the left one. So you ride into the garage and park, thinking you’ll get gas next time. Then it won’t start until you remember to pick it up and wait 3 minutes for the fuel to transfer through the small connecting line. The best part is they could have put the pump in the other side just as easily.... oops.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What kind of bulb does it take? I’ve had good luck with various led bulbs from OPT7, you might want to see if they make something you can use. They are in California and have good customer service if you need them too unlike a lot of others.

It needs an H3. The low beam is an H7 and I replaced that with an LED last winter. The issue is that the high beam bulb fits into a holder that then snaps into the headlight housing. The holder pretty much encloses the back side of the bulb. There are lots of LED H3 bulbs out there, but most of them are low power for fog light use. The high power ones mostly are just too large physically. But to be honest, I haven't taken the headlight apart yet to see exactly what I need, I've only been looking at the diagrams in my Clymer book.

Thanks for the pointer to OPT7, I'll check them out.

·
On The Road Again!
2,653 Posts
Woo hoo! Fall weather in January! The temp got up to 66 degrees here today!
My bike club had their "Holiday Party", so I rode there. Two other members
rode also. Nice turnout, lots of food and fun conversation!
And tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer!
I have some work to do in the morning, but once I'm
finished, LOOK OUT, 'CAUSE HERE I COME!!!

·
Visionary
2,939 Posts
It was so warm yesterday, 60+, even though I was busy I couldn't resist taking a short ride. I think I did about 100 miles, and I even managed to remember and stop at the store ( 5 miles as the crow flies) and pick up what I was sent out for in the first place. It's warm today too but it was pouring buckets at 0330, I wasn't in the mood to get wet so I took the car to work. It should be really nice later, wish I was home to enjoy it.

·
On The Road Again!
2,653 Posts
It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY today.
I had to work in the morning, but I got out after lunch for nearly four hours of
riding. I even found a place to stop for ICE CREAM!!!.....In JANUARY!!!!
That helped relieve the winter blues quite a bit. And I got rid of the old gas
in the tank and filled it with fresh fuel!
The best part was, in January when we should be up to our eyeballs
in snow and ice, I rode for a couple of hours in a T-shirt!
In January? Unheard of!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well so far this is what I've done to my FZR600!! New battery, changed the solenoid starter motor switch, found out that someone else had removed the sidestand safety switch, or should have said bypassed it!! I'm just now in the process of removing the starter button and off/run switch aswell, because I've got a problem with it not turning over on it's own steam!! It'll start if I put a screwdriver etc across both of the poles on the starter motor solenoid switch with the ignition turned on!! But apart from that it just isn't having any of it!! The last time that the bike was used I'd say is around the 4 to 5 months mark, it's just being parked up outside under the kitchen window! 😁
And now a mate of mine wants to buy the bike, but I can't let him take it like this!! Even though he is getting it extraordinary cheap enough, it still isn't the right thing to do!! And he's happy to take it like it is but I don't do things like that, especially when it's a friend, and like any friend, you buy something off em and you should always get mates rates!! 😁😁 Or at least that's my opinion on it!!
I've just taken the fuel tank off, so I can get a bit better access to the wiring etc etc!! So I'll let you know how things go!! 😋😋

Thanks for looking

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
37F in Pennsylvania at 0430 today, I took advantage of it of course :)

View attachment 60415 View attachment 60416
Well no wonder you ride in so much inclement weather !!! You got at least 4 other fools riding too. I totally understand now. Absolutely cannot let them win. At 15º one morning I finally won. Only one other guy was riding every day like I was but on that one morning he finally passed. I had an hours ride and I barely got warmed up for the ride home 10 hours later. BTW, I never rode at that temperature again. Hit black ice on one of the overpasses. No biggy, I just immediately pulled in the clutch and just did a slow drift until I hit dry pavement and the bike did a sudden straighten up. That woke my wife up who was asleep thank God. She just wanted to know if we hit something. I said a pothole. Then I told her when we got to work.

·
Visionary
2,939 Posts
I actually didn't ride today, I have some errands to run later that I need the car for, but yeah, never let them beat you is my motto too. :)
15f is cold, that's about the coldest I have rode the hour into work too. I rode around town one day in 5f just because I could, not sure I would have tried to ride an hour to work though, parts of me were cold after about 30 minutes.

I really need to get some heated pants to go with my heated jacket....

Well no wonder you ride in so much inclement weather !!! You got at least 4 other fools riding too. I totally understand now. Absolutely cannot let them win. At 15º one morning I finally won.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Rode 55 miles to work this morning in 35-38 degrees F. But the forecast for the ride home this afternoon is low 50's :)

This will probably be my last day riding for a while. The weather is turning cold and wet tomorrow so I'll start taking the bike apart for its planned maintenance: upgrade the cam chain tensioner, replace the alternator belt, replace the fuel filter (inside the tank) and all the inside-the-tank hoses, inspect the hall effect sensor wiring and have that re-done if necessary, try to fit an LED high beam headlight bulb, change the transmission and final drive oil, adjust valve clearance, replace spark plugs, sync throttle bodies, re-wrap some of the deteriorating wiring harness. It's a good thing I like wrenching (almost as much as I like riding).

6981 - 7000 of 7003 Posts