Motorcycle Forum banner

6961 - 6980 of 7830 Posts

·
Visionary
3,634 Posts
Rode into work this morning but not without some drama.

About 2 miles into my ride, on a main secondary road, I noticed a cop car parked on the side of the road in an odd spot..OK, no problem, I'm not speeding, must be the Sunday morning drunk driving squad, OK, that's cool.
About 1/4 mile down I notice another one, and a 3rd one makes a U turn to join the second.
I'm thinking, hmm, something is going down, I idly wonder who did what? I roll another mile down the road, and then I notice then suddenly there is a fair amount of traffic on the road behind me, there had been a car or two, suddenly it looked like about 5 sets of lights, and they were getting closer..I started looking around to see where I could go to get out of the way if anything happened, figuring this had something to do with all the police activity I noticed.

Suddenly red and blue lights came on right behind me, turns out it was ME that they were after!

I pulled over right away on the shoulder, turned it off, sat there waiting for the officer to come over. I was totally flabbergasted, I know I wasn't doing anything unusual so I had no clue why I was getting pulled over. When he arrived he politely said hi, then asked me if I knew my registration was expired? I said I didn't think so, he said, it says it expired in February 2019! I got my copy out and it turns out he was right, I guess I missed it somehow! He asked me to see my license, I gave him that, he took it away to check that out in the car, then came back.

He was very polite, said that he really didn't want to give me a hard time, he believed me, he said the look on my face when I looked at that registration told him that I was telling the truth, and he said people always forget to register motorcycles, it happens. Without me asking he said you know I can have this towed, but that's a pain for us both, how about I just give you a verbal warning and you take care of it as soon as you can? I said that works for me, thank you very much! He then asked wasn't I cold since it was 35F out? I showed him my heat controller and explained that I was just as warm as he was in his car with the heated gear. He laughed and said "your still crazy, have fun" and got back in the car. I got back on, plugged in, started it up and rode away and onto the interstate to go to work.

Policing done well, with some logic and compassion. He probably sees me go by every morning, knows he can check again any time to make sure I renewed it, so he solved the problem with minimal grief for both of us. I did my part, I just renewed it online for 2 more years, so that's taken care of.

·
On The Road Again!
3,271 Posts
Pa allows you to register for two years, Mike??
No such thing here. In Jersey it's one year, every year!
However, inspections on cars are for two years. Weird.

·
Visionary
3,634 Posts
Yes, PA you have a choice of one year or two year registrations for cars and bikes.
No discount, just pay double the one year rate and get two years.
They also stopped sending out registrations, you pay online, print your own registration, and your all set.

Inspections are yearly though, and only done by private garages, and expensive and annoying to say the least, they take wheels off, measure brake pads, test drive it etc. A couple of years ago I had my car inspected, a couple of days later I almost lost a wheel, the morons forgot to tighten it and I lost some of the lug nuts. I was livid, went back and read them the riot act and wanted them to replace the nuts, they said, NO, unless you can PROVE they did it then they were not buying me new lug nuts! This is common too, I have heard a few people that had that happen, one actually lost the wheel a week after an inspection and damaged his car.

Bike inspections are similar though they leave the wheels on, fortunately bike inspections aren't enforced too often, as long as it's registered and insured your usually good to go in PA.

Pa allows you to register for two years, Mike??
No such thing here. In Jersey it's one year, every year!
However, inspections on cars are for two years. Weird.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yes, PA you have a choice of one year or two year registrations for cars and bikes.

Inspections are yearly though, and only done by private garages, and expensive and annoying to say the least, they take wheels off, measure brake pads, test drive it etc. A couple of years ago I had my car inspected, a couple of days later I almost lost a wheel, the morons forgot to tighten it and I lost some of the lug nuts. I was livid, went back and read them the riot act and wanted them to replace the nuts, they said, NO, unless you can PROVE they did it then they were not buying me new lug nuts! This is common too, I have heard a few people that had that happen, one actually lost the wheel a week after an inspection and damaged his car.

Bike inspections are similar though they leave the wheels on, fortunately bike inspections aren't enforced too often, as long as it's registered and insured your usually good to go in PA.
Always nice to get a verbal "reminder" instead of a written one! I keep insurance and registration current but haven't bothered with an inspection for a couple of years. I know I'm probably pushing my luck but I've received two written "reminders" about my speed and neither cop noticed. Probably helps that I keep the bike lookin' so purty! :LOL:

As for what I've done with my bike today? Well, this is more of a "what have I been incrementally doing over the last two weeks"... What started out as a straightforward valve clearance check has morphed into sooo much more... at least for me! Being an employee of the public school does have it's perks and I've had the last two weeks off to mess with the bike, as well as oldest daughter's and wife's vehicles.

Here is the list of what I've done (and am still doing):

1. Shimmed up the rear shock a few mm. Ran across this mod while researching the valve check process and it seemed simple enough. Only took me two days to figure out! LOL! Supposed to make "turn in" easier. We shall see!
2. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Decided to do this after reading several threads noting that a consistent smell of raw fuel and lower mpg can often be traced to this part. Figured with the age of the bike and as I was already in there, might as well go ahead. Took several days as the part I ordered through Amazon would not work, even though it had the same part # as OEM and the replacement took almost a week to ship.
3. Messing with the CCTL (it is a PITA) and getting a different answer from everyone I asked re: whether it needed to be retracted or not when rotating the camshafts to measure the clearances. This had me frozen and indecisive for a day or two.
4. Finally taking clearance measurements and being heartily dismayed at how many are out of spec. Bike has just over 20,000 miles and every mechanic I spoke with assured me that it was HIGHLY unlikely any of them would need adjustment. This seems to be a recurring theme in my mechanical escapades, i.e. if it shouldn't need to be done, I'll need to have to it done. The only exception is battery life. All my vehicles seem to be able to maintain their batteries well beyond most. So, yay!
5. I am currently at the point of taking the cam holder cover off and then measuring/replacing 7 of the 16 shims. Even the ones still within spec are at the very bottom of acceptable range, so I'm considering just doing all of them...

I am trying to remember to take my time and just stop when I get frustrated. I found that working in 30-60 minute increments is much better for my (and my family's) mental health! Too often, I try to bull my way through a problem and end up wasting a day and going to bed in a bad mood. Limiting myself helps me focus on other things that ARE going well!

Attached a couple of pics for your amusement!

Attachments

Reactions: mike721

·
Registered
922 Posts
I did more waxing...
I wish!

I did forget to mention that I keep getting sidetracked by cleaning/dusting various nooks and crannies. Wait, I just spent 30 minutes getting oil residue off that little part? ?

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
THE BIG QUESTION, DID YOU GEAR UP FOR THAT LONG RIDE? :)
Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

For me, I finally got my first ride of the year in with a nice 110 mile crisp ride. Felt good to get back on the bike after working at tree trimming for so long. Now I got all that crap to pick up. So up until yesterday I've welding up a storm fabricating a big pitchfork type device to put in my frontend loader bucket. Sucker is heavy already. But now back to welding on it more. Using ⅞ sucker rod on 4 inch pipe as a base. So got one side welded and turned over to do the other side. Everything is round and I don't do good with round stuff. So It's weld weld weld until there is a glob big enough to hold. If you know anything about sucker rod, you know it can be magnetic and this stuff is. Really hard to get an arch going. So it's working my butt off. I needed a break!!!

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
I did my part, I just renewed it online for 2 more years, so that's taken care of.
Boy you did get off easy. Officer Bernard Fife here would have nothing to do with a verbal. And able to do it online, man you should have whipped your cell phone out and completed it while he was running your plates. Then made him check it again when came back. But I know, in the moment and lights flashing the brain cells are a bit scrambled. But that would have been funny cause you could show him on your phone that it was paid.:D :D :D

Reactions: Doc Samson

·
Registered
922 Posts
Still figuring what all I can carry on the Ninja.
An uncovered chain saw???!!! ? If you could figure out a way to power it off your battery, it might be an effective anti-tailgate device!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
Sam did you have both feet up on the pegs?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
Mike even your local cops know you are crazy, we aren't the only ones that know it.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Good one John. (y) (y) (y)

·
Visionary
3,634 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I rode that expired bike all through MD, WV, VA and into TN and back all night on Christmas day, talk about standing out. I bet some of those local cops wouldn't have been as accommodating ! That could have been really awkward.

Hmm, renewing on the phone while waiting would have been a slick move, next time I have one that needs to be done I'll try it just to make sure it works. Not that this will happen again....

Boy you did get off easy. Officer Bernard Fife here would have nothing to do with a verbal. And able to do it online, man you should have whipped your cell phone out and completed it while he was running your plates. Then made him check it again when came back. But I know, in the moment and lights flashing the brain cells are a bit scrambled. But that would have been funny cause you could show him on your phone that it was paid.:D :D :D

·
Visionary
3,634 Posts
I want to see the trip back home with 1/2 cord of wood and the chainsaw back there :)

An uncovered chain saw???!!! ? If you could figure out a way to power it off your battery, it might be an effective anti-tailgate device!

Reactions: Doc Samson

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
I want to see the trip back home with 1/2 cord of wood and the chainsaw back there :)
They measure firewood really weird here so maybe just a half rick back there.:) :) :)

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
After two weeks of hectic holiday madness, I'm back! :D

I tried to go on my first long distance moto road trip, but a New Year's storm stopped that. So I took the four wheeled motorcycle to Hell, Michigan. :)

I'm kicking off the year by riding my Suzuki GS and finally getting started on that stupid Vespa GT200 I bought. I also now have a diesel Volkswagen to toy around with on the car front.

6961 - 6980 of 7830 Posts