Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 883 Posts

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,554 Posts
I've been thinking about flying 3x5 flags at PGR missions. So finally bit the bullet and did it. I should have figured up how much it would cost first! But it's done and my first mission was a trial by fire. 70mph from Wichita Falls Texas to Fort Sill Oklahoma. They and I both survived.

22,554 Posts
Thanks. It really was quite expensive. If I had added it up before I started I'm not sure I would have done it. After all I already had 10x15 smaller flags. But now that it's done I'm glad I did it. Especially when the wife was with me on the second mission, she said it brought tears to her eyes with pride. Never expected that!

22,554 Posts
Yep it's the mount. Although the PGR flag is ridiculous. $38.00 for it while I got all 5 service flags for $46.00. And there isn't one thing special about the PGR flag. Had I done ANY real research I would have found a guy that copies the mount from Rivco and got it for 1/4 the price. But then it wouldn't be all pretty chrome. Big freaking deal! Although, that guy just cut his finger off so I'm not sure he'll be doing that much longer if at all.

22,554 Posts
I'll have to look closely at a mount next time I see one. As I remember, I don't think there was all that much too them, but maybe I'm missing something here.
There isn't. Piece of angle iron and a couple pieces of round stock for the mount itself, then a couple matching but bigger mounts and flat stock with a couple holes. Two pins to hold everything together. Not worth what they want for pretty chrome.:)

22,554 Posts
For me the holders themselves would be the hard part. I'm not too good at cutting and welding angles. The rest I could do. Might not be as pretty but a grinding wheel and paint cover a lot of sloppiness you know. I never learn to weld stainless. Regular stuff is ugly enough. But farm equipment don't have to be pretty. Just work. And it took me awhile with that to learn penetration is the key. Never took a class. Just trial by need. But when I weld something now, it doesn't come apart. I call it glob welding.:D

22,554 Posts
Got bike ready for veterans activities Sunday and Monday. Going to be a busy couple days with PGR.

22,554 Posts
I put chrome fork sliders and polished brake disks on a friend of mine's Ultra.
I'd like that on mine but can't justify the cost for eye candy. Sure does dress them up though.

22,554 Posts
Too bad you are so far away. I've got some off my VTX that I'd give you. Little far to just stop by though. Just about any would do though. Just heat and bend until you get what you want. Mine might have some rust now anyway cause I'm sure I just threw them in the scrap heap.

22,554 Posts
I did that to a 77 Blazer once. Worked great while I had it. Sold it and told the new owner about it. He removed the switch and the next time I saw him he said someone stole the truck. I still laugh about it.:biggrin:

22,554 Posts
Hey Hogcowboy, I went to the National Cemetery then rode over to St. Augustine to look around. I heard there was a swap meet nearby so I went to take a look and I ran into my friend that I just switched out the fork sliders for, so I took two pictures for you. I think what really makes this set-up look nice are the machined wheel spacers. They fit within about 1/64 of the rotor bolts, but they don't rotate with the wheel. Pretty slick! Anyway, enjoy.

Rub it in Eye!!! That does look great. You are right about the spacers. I've not seen that before. Really dresses things up nicely.:thumbsup:

22,554 Posts
Yesterday, I tried my hand at making a standoff for the Bonnie to hold the saddlebags off the shocks. The way it is I am wearing a hole in the bags where they rub against the shocks. There is no danger of the bags getting in the wheel, but the chocks constant movement is now the problem. I bent a length of 5/16" rod in my vice. Crude, but serviceable. I had made four brackets from 1/8" steel bar the day before and ground a flat in the bar where they were to join the brackets. All I have is a little 120 volt 20 amp arc welder, and whether it is because of my crappy welding skills or because of the welder, but my first bracket fell off while I was grinding back the globs of metal. Might try again later today.
Hate to tell you but it's your welding skills. I'm self trained and I know I'm not good, but the trick in welding is good penetration so your welding rod flows into what you are welding. Took me for ever to get that. I still do more of what I call glob welding but when I get my heat level turned up just right for what I'm welding, it isn't too bad. Luckily most of my welding is on farm implements so an ugly weld that holds is still a good weld in my book. I quit using a grinding wheel just to pretty things up. But when I do my welds now hold and I think that's because I'm getting good penetration.

22,554 Posts
Man I didn't know there was such a thing. Next thing will be little baby wipers on them.

22,554 Posts
Did a little 102 mile Welcome Home PGR mission. You can't describe the joy the kids feel when they see their Mom or Dad come home. It's neat!

22,554 Posts
Yes. It's called, "engine turned," and you see it a lot on the bolts of expensive firearms and machine tools and other things. It's done with special purpose bits, jewelers rouge and accurate positioning equipment, and it's really an art all to itself.

But you can do a poor man's version, like I do, with a drill press, a round wire metal brush, and a plywood positioning jig. I use it a lot when I'm re-doing old brake rotors as it makes a mundane part look rather custom.

I did it on my heat shields because it also hides a LOT of sins, and I suck at sheet metal work.
The guy that built one of my rifles did it to the bolt. He called in jeweling. Has no function other than appearance.

22,554 Posts
Got a 210 mile blow the cobwebs out ride today after a PGR mission. A tough one. Another PGR member. Very good turn out. On the way home I noticed that by the time I got home I would need an oil change. In my old age I'm hating oil changes. Anyway I proceeded to burn myself on the hot oil. Best time to do it is when it's hot unfortunately. I should have waited more than a half hour though.:)

22,554 Posts
I would actually prefer fresh snow to spotty ice. But that's me I guess. More power to ya.:thumbsup:

22,554 Posts
The weather is very crazy. It got up to 68º today and this is supposed to be winter. The 10 day outlook says more of the same. And we need moisture!!! Any kind.:(

1 - 20 of 883 Posts