As usual, I am a day or two late.
The Bonnie had rolled past 24,000 over a thousand miles ago, so I decided it was time to check the valves. I had put it off because I didn't want to disable the bike while I waited for new shims, if required. Finally got down to it and found all the valves within spec, with the exception of the left hand exhaust, but the specs call for .250 mm to .300 mm. Both exhaust valves measured .305 mm, which I figured was close enough, being just out by 5/1000 and on the loose side. This saved me having to pull the camshaft and wait for new shims.
Ran out on the CB350, while the Bonnie was "topless," to the auto parts store and picked up new plugs. After 12,000 miles the old ones were a bit black, but had always checked out nice and tan before, so I am assuming the air filter needs need changing, which is recommended every 12 grand, anyway. The filter looked clean, but then it is hard to know by sight whether the filter is clear or not. Makes sense, though, that if the bike continued shooting the same amount of fuel into the cylinders, with less air, that I would end up with black plugs. Guess I'll order a new filter and see how that goes.
Then yesterday, all I did was ride out to lunch on the Bonnie and pop in to the local Walmart (ugh!) to check out mounts and accessories for GoPros. At AIMExpo I had gotten a coupon for $100 off, so in the next couple days I plan to buy a Black Edition. Also rode up to the local watering hole last evening, hoping to catch a friend, Dan, who has a almost new pair of chaps in his saddlebags that he is going to give me. Dan didn't turn up, so I guess I'll go up tonight again and see if I have better luck catching him. (Don't worry folks, I was drinking O'Douls!)
Today, I have a crazy idea to make up my own saddlebag standoffs for the Triumph. Going to go out and measure up the mounting dimensions, and later pick up some rod (I already have some flat stock for the mouning tangs) to try and weld something up. I love my Cortech bags (with clip on top bag), but the back side is getting chewed up a bit rubbing on the shocks, so I am hoping to preserve them this way. I am not much of a welder, but this seems like a good thing to practice on and something my little arc welder could handle.