Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 12131 Posts

Registered
1978 Honda CX500, 1983 Honda GL650I
We're talking about ambients differing by almost 50掳 on given days ....
Elevation about equal ....,
So, you might need a little choke on a cold morning. Temperature doesn't affect fuel-air mixture.
Regardless, a Minnesota bike with that low mileage only ever saw Texas weather, anyway.

Registered
In Texas , I never use choke on my other Shadow ...Don't need it on the new one , But does need a slight adjustment ..., The bike had 18,000 Minnesota miles ..., It does'nt get cold in my area . Unless you call 55掳 cold ....,
55 is downright balmy this time of year. In five months that will be t-shirt weather.
A 50 degree swing one day to the next isn't uncommon here in spring and fall.
Low mileage riders are almost always fair weather only. I suspect your bike was only ridden June thru August, when it's hot here. My annual group ride in 2021 saw 104F on June 6th!

Registered
If I don't shut off the fuel petcock at the bottom corner of the tank it will drip about one drop of gasoline per second, leading to quite a large puddle when I park the bike overnight.
I suspect you have a float valve that isn't sealing and the spilled gas is coming from the overflow.

Registered
And yet real contact cleaner will ruin resister plug capz... I believe it would do the same to a TPS...
I disassemble my plug caps to clean them and bypass the resistors (haven't found a source for replacements).
Are there alcohol-soluble materials in these things? That's surprising, given that electrical cleaners are generally alcohol based.
Admittedly, I don't know much about TPSs. My tech predates all that stuff.

Registered
You can probably use NGK aftermarket replacements.
You can get them straight, 90 like these and 45 too. Price is a little high on these.
A bike shop with a well stocked parts department should have them in stock at around $5.
S F
David Silver Spares has aftermarket replacements for the CX500 and variants. They're sans resistor, so I run them with R plugs.

Registered
Today, I was going to reassemble my carburetors, now that the bits are all cleaned and polished. Instead I got sidetracked by pleasant family obligations. Maybe over a couple evenings this week...

Registered
I took a short ride on my CX500 today after reinstalling its freshly cleaned carbs and replacing the broken choke cable last night. I had the GL650 out briefly yesterday.
More snow coming this week, so they'll lay up again for a while.

1 - 19 of 12131 Posts