Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking for a cruiser that’s right for me, and I narrowed it down to a couple.
2016 Harley Iron 883
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 (No DCT)
2016 Harley Softail Slim

Let me know which one is best for just commuting around, and which one I should get. Thanks I’m advance.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
457 Posts
Since this is posted in the "First bike/New rider" section, I have to ask..... How much riding experience do you have? If you are a complete newbie, the common advice is to buy a used 500cc (give or take) standard style bike and ride it for a year before you sell it and buy your "dream bike".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since this is posted in the "First bike/New rider" section, I have to ask..... How much riding experience do you have? If you are a complete newbie, the common advice is to buy a used 500cc (give or take) standard style bike and ride it for a year before you sell it and buy your "dream bike".
Ok, will think about that advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
If you are a new rider, that is good advice. And get a used bike if it's your first. You wouldn't want to finance a nice decked out cruiser and a year later decide you really don't like riding that much and be stuck with bike payments for years and years.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you have not already, I would focus on taking the riders course and getting your license as opposed debating merits of this bike or that. After finishing, then you can find a bike. I know it's hard to do as I had a few months between when I signed up for the course and took it to get my license. In the meantime, I spent a fair amount of time looking at motorcycles. It's not uncommon for people to take the course and decide riding is not for them, which is a lot less expensive than a new bike these days.. I can tell you about riding, but there's things that sink in better when you're actually doing them, so your perceptions may change about what bike to buy. I know mine did. When I was looking at bikes, those small 250cc motorcycles seemed tiny, but felt about right for my skill level after finishing the course.

Fit is very important on a motorcycle as you're locked into one position more so than a car. The best way to gauge fit I've found is to go sit on the bikes you like to see how they work for you. Everyone's different and has their own preference.

Your goal as a new rider should be to learn the skills that can save you on the road given that you don't have much protection. Things like swerving, negotiating curves, panic stops, etc. can make the difference. You can do this on a 700 pound Softail Slim, but it raises the degree of difficulty as you have to be concerned about managing the power/weight of it in addition to learning skills. A lighter more nimble bike is a better tool to learn on. Plus is much easier to pick it up. Used isn't a bad idea either. The chances you'll drop it are fairly high, which will hurt less emotionally and financially on a used bike.

Generally speaking, for long miles n upright seating position is more comfortable. Good luck my friend and welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve been looking for a cruiser that’s right for me, and I narrowed it down to a couple.
2016 Harley Iron 883
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 (No DCT)
2016 Harley Softail Slim

Let me know which one is best for just commuting around, and which one I should get. Thanks I’m advance.
Love the scout and it’s liquid cooked. Sixty is a 5 speed with a lil less horsepower than a regular scout..

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I like the Scout also, but I've never had one. If you find a Scout you like, go online and see if you can find any problems with the Scout of the year model you are looking at. I'm sure there is an Indian Scout website somewhere, you might want to see what owners are saying about the bikes they own. Good luck with whatever bike you end up with.

·
Registered
04 Tri. Speedmaster, 05 Tri. Tiger, 12 Tri. Thunderbird Storm
146 Posts
Since I'm a Triumph guy I wonder if you've considered a Speedmaster or America. These are an excellent motorcycle and used ones can be found relatively cheap. I ran my 04 Speedmaster for 15 yrs. and 112,000 km with no issues. Best bike I ever owned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts