Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this manual for my motorcycle, and it tells me that to clean the air filter I should use a "cleaning solvent". That's all. What should I be using in this case? Is dishwasher detergent good enough?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Not that familiar witht he VT500. What kind of filter does it have? Like a sponge or foam element filter? Pods? Paper?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the difference between sponge and foam? I'd call it a sponge I guess, but not sure why I should deny that it is foam.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
My bad, I guess they would be the same. On those types of filters I've just taken a plastic bowl (this will contribute to a divorce) from the kitchen or (this will not contribute to a divorce) get a disposable foil pan from the dollar store; put some kerosene in it (available at home stores and lumber yards - good for dang near everything) and swish the filter through there and wash the gunk out. A little goes a long ways. Don't know about yours - but are you supposed to oil them afterwards?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I'm supposed to use either SAE 80 gear oil or some foam for air cleaners (I have the latter). Do your instructions still apply?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Yep. Now PJ & UNI (brand names) both make cleaner and oils specific for the job of maintaining air filters. Wring the oil out of the filter, too. It'll do fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, how do you dispose of dirty kerosene? I just talked to a friend of mine who works at a gas station, and he says they don't recycle it like they do engine oil.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Like I said, a little goes a long ways. You can let the gunk settle to the bottom and continue using the solvent (strain it - better) and keep in a seperate container. I'll either use it on 'careless weeds' or just let it evaporate off. Neither one is great for the envirnmont I guess :( . Light a camp fire? Tiki torch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts