Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering what people use for protecting plastic parts on their bikes & keeping them shiny. For metal tanks & fenders I always used car wax but what about plastic panels & fenders? I took off the plastic tank panels on my Vstrom & used car wax on the metal tank. I'm leaving the plastic panels on my new bike.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've used Turtle Wax Ice for 5 or 6 years now and been happy with how it performs. It works well on glass, plastic, and metal. Maybe not as well as "dedicated" products but for an overall, do-everything? Goes on super easy and you don't have to worry about keeping it on one material or risk ruining it.

Leaves me more time to enjoy cleaning my chain! :smile_big:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Since most cars are as much plastic as metal these days -- just like motorcycles -- I fell pretty safe in saying whatever you'd use on a car will be okay on a bike. As long as the part you're putting it on is shiny to begin with -- put it on a matte-finished piece and the result is just awful-looking.

·
Nightfly
4,619 Posts
Some prefer synthetic wax because of its supposed durability, but I never thought much of it. Synthetic has decent paint protection but the shine it provides is no match for carnauba wax.

Plastics do not require anything special when waxing. You're waxing to protect the paint, not the plastic.. Liquids or paste seem to give the same shine, spray on, not so much. If the paint is clear-coated there won't be any increase in the shine.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
I don't think it really matters what you use because most plastic has been painted and all you are doing is putting something on the paint, not the plastic. And the plastic will still get brittle at some point or start showing cracks. So use whatever you want.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
S100 sells everything for every aspect of motorcycle cleaning, protection and waxing.

I like S100 Detail Plus Wax. It cleans and waxes without water... Water bad for M/C electrics.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
I was told a long time ago don’t use car cleaning products for your bike. Go to your local dealer and ask what they use to clean the bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have any idea what the reason was behind that claim? I've been using Lucas Oil Slick Mist for some time. First on my pickups and then my Harley. So is my Indian going to implode since I'm still using the product which is an auto product?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you have any idea what the reason was behind that claim? I've been using Lucas Oil Slick Mist for some time. First on my pickups and then my Harley. So is my Indian going to implode since I'm still using the product which is an auto product?

The paints and clear coats on cars is different. It’s a thinner layer of clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
781 Posts
Stay away from anything that says 'Cleaner Wax', or polisher, if they still make that stuff. It's a combination of rubbing compound and wax. The best protection you can get is just a straight wax with carnauba. I've been using it for years with no ill effects.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Haven't decided but now looking at "303 Spray Wax and Quick Detailer with UV Protectant - Car Cleaner with Carnauba Wax." The UV protection sounds good but not liking the "cleaner" part. If I get it & I see red paint on my microfiber cloth I wouldn't use it again. I did use their 303 UV protection for vinyl on my seat. Gave it a little shine but not slippery like ArmorAll.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Once you use this stuff, you'll never use anything else, and I don't even own a Honda. I use it on my Guzzi & Kawasaki, Its available on Amazon. I use to use Meguiars until I accidentally discovered this Honda product last year. I thought the Meguires was the best until I tried the Pro Honda, I now order it by the three pack. Spray on, wipe off. I just spray it on a cotton cloth and wipe all the painted surfaces down, even the motor (when its cool), its an amazing product.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I did use their 303 UV protection for vinyl on my seat. Gave it a little shine but not slippery like ArmorAll.
Yes! That stuff is incredible! I've used it to bring back faded, cracked rubber and trim on my old 99 Tacoma as well as various other items around my garage and home.

Reactions: Juan_Banjovy

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
I use that 'Pro Honda' spray wax and buy it buy the case. It is sold under a different name now but Amazon carries it and on PRIME it is much cheaper.:grin:

It doesn't take any paint or clear coat nor abrade the finish of whatever it is used on.:wink2:

I even use it on all Laptops that I work on to clean and make them look like new because after I work on them, they perform like new:kiss:

PLEDGE is something that works miracles on a clean bike.:smile:

Sam:nerd:

·
Nightfly
4,619 Posts
I believe they are called detail products. Meant only to take the dust off and use on paint that is clean an not needing to be cleaned. It's what I see people at car shows using to get that last bit of shine on their vehicle. I refer to them as fanatics.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
I go to a lot of 'Farm shows' due to our IT and Drone advertising business and I always see these "Fanatic's" going at it to shine even their fencing! Their other Farm stuff, like high end Tractors, Combines etc are waxed better than a Ferrari :grin: They all use a typical spray wax because it's easy and quick:)

These cleaners leave no 'residue' at all so they are easy to buff with just a soft rag:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts