Motorcycle Forum banner

What camera should I buy?

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Traveling Tall 
#1 ·
I cant afford these $300+ cameras i have seen yet but i dont want to buy a $20 camera that will record bad quality

I want to buy a camera for both my peace of mind of what could happen on the road and to show where I go and see.

If it recorded my speed and map that be awesome but doesn't have to.

What camera would you guys recommend if any?

#4 ·
I have the same question. My YouTube channel will soon have a lot about motorcycles, so I'd love a cam I can just mount to my helmet and go...but man, that's a pretty penny to pay.

#5 · (Edited)
I bought this one several years ago.
It takes excellent video and costs right around $125.
And it seems to be quite tough. I had it mounted to the handlebars of my Honda Trail 90 for a while. That bike has a high frequency vibration that you wouldn't believe. I would have thought that the vibration from the bike would kill it, but it didn't! Still works great.
The coolest thing is that it has a small monitor screen right on the back of the camera so you can review your video without hooking up to a computer.
My only complaint is that there is no image stabilization.

Techmoan - Techmoan - The Crocolis HD Extreme Cam - Longest review*ever.
Crocolis HD Extreme Sports Camera? | CheesyCam

#7 ·
I did not want to risk my better camera being lost on a trip, so I went to Kroger and bought one of their higher megapixel models. Not much money for a lot of camera with a big viewfinder to judge picture quality

When the camera turns on, you just keep it in airplane mode. As soon as the camera tab comes up, I open it and take the pictures. Of course Kroger thought that I would buy their phone service to pay for the cheap price of the camera

THey were WRONG!

#8 ·
Are we talking about a camera in the traditional sense? Like, for taking still images? I can't tell if we're talking about that or a small video camera like a GoPro. I've never wanted to strap a video camera to my head because I don't want people's memory of my last moments on earth being me screaming like a b*tch if I get in a fatal accident. Almost seems like inviting trouble. Maybe one of those pillion riding cameras like they use in MotoGP. Can have great quality picture of my backside.

#11 ·
I'm just curious, are any of the cameras made in America? GoPro? Some other brand? Not that America is top notch in electronics, I was just curious if any are made here.

#13 ·
Try this one. Front and rear lenses, 1080P video, get power from motorcycle, without worrying about the battery, mount on the motorcycle without adding weight to your helmet, a little snapshot button for taking pictures and videos, and a lot more features you'd better find it in this video.

Oh, this video is being depressed, so the video quality should be better.

#14 ·
I can't do any suggestions on cameras yet. I got some however I did find the SD cards will make or break even the best of cameras. DONT DO CHEAP ON THE SD. As of today for on that will work in HD (1080p and 4k) a 32 or 64 gb class 10 micro SD MLS will cost you about a dollar per GB. I have two SJ models from China and the dash cam a Rand McNally in my truck. All cameras combined about 150.00 but in SD cards over 200.00. FYI.

#15 ·
I like GoPro because they have staying power and large aftermarket support. You don't need the latest and greatest edition. While previous models aren't as advanced as the latest, they're still good. You can get a GoPro 4 for under $200. And a GoPro 3 under $100. You wouldn't have any disappointment in their performance.

#16 ·
I bought a $450 GoPro maybe 6 years ago and as I always say, "You get what you pay for!" It takes excellent stabilized, wide optic videos and has never been trouble at all:grin:

On one of our earlier advertising DRONES, it took excellent panoramic shots at 1,200 feet or 10 feet:wink2:

Our latest Drone has a very high quality Video camera built in:wink2:

I think I've got a couple of those CHEAP ones in one of my dressers, where they will spend the rest of their miserable lives underneath my 'Fruit of the looms!' :smile_big:

Quality is it's own reward:grin:

Sam:nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.