Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only kind of bike I have right now is a bicycle. Every now and then I think about getting some sort of 2 wheel transportation. It's usually something that would be cheap to daily and maybe just ride around exploring. (Currently looking at "Maxi" scooters) Tires seem to get expensive quick when it comes to 2 wheels. Scooters and "Maxi" scooters seem to have tires in the $50-$120 range and last 10k vs a GSXR 1000 that gets 2k and the tire is something like $120-$300. (rears) What makes different bikes get different tire life? What kind of bikes have the best tire life?

Thanks,
Awaqa909

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
For most standard motorcycles about 5k miles on a rear tire is it. Larger touring bikes often have dual compound tires that will get 12k to 15k on a rear. All tires can be replaced and new tire technology is upping the game. Fronts last a lot longer than rears. As you already said, purpose built sport tires have very little longevity as max grip is their main purpose.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Motorcycle tires, especially the sportier types, traction is the objective and soft, sticky rubber just does not provide very much mileage.

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

On my current Road Star 1600, I'm getting over 30,000 on the front tires and 25,000 on the rear. I use a stock m.c. rear tire on the front and a car tire on the rear. Part of that mileage may be attributable to riding conservatively. But many riders aren't into that combination on tires and only want the OEM recommended rubber. Or, if you only ride a few thousand miles per year, your time available per tire (5 years, give or take) will expire before the mileage.

--

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
A lot of duration of the tire has to do with the Rider himself .. Stay away from Jack Rabbit Starts , Braking at the last second , smooth shifting up and down at proper RPM all play into this .. Last tire I can remember getting less than 10,000 miles on the rear was an Avon V71 on my Victory Cross Country (6,000) , while they had a good grip was not worth sacrificing the mileage got from Michelin Commander II's ..

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
If your looking for tire life stay away from sport bikes, as others mentioned they tend to run sticky tires that are great for racing and cornering hard but wear out quickly, sometimes 2K miles is all they get. Touring bikes or most cruisers can be fitted with touring type tires, with special construction these tires still offer very good performance but last a long time.Good tires of this type include Dunlop Elite 4s and Michelin Commander II, I use these both and they last 18- 23K miles on my bikes. Google those tire names and you will find the manufacturers info on them and how they work.

Riding habits have a lot to do with tire life, I ride fast, I ride a lot of interstate, sometimes I ride some fun twisty roads, but I don't waste my tires spinning them or drag racing and I get very good tire life because of this. Good tires are NOT cheap.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
Same here.
I ride a Goldwing 1500. I'm a rather aggressive rider and I still got 18,000 out of my current Michelin Commander II front tire.
My rear is a car tire that also has 18,000 miles on it and it barely shows any wear yet. I expect it to last 30,000 or so.
Like I said, I'm a rather aggressive rider. I'm guilty of hard acceleration and hard braking, as well as cornering hard and deep. If I rode more calmly, I'd get a lot more miles out of those tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tires seem to get expensive quick when it comes to 2 wheels. Scooters and "Maxi" scooters seem to have tires in the $50-$120 range and last 10k vs a GSXR 1000 that gets 2k and the tire is something like $120-$300. (rears) What makes different bikes get different tire life? What kind of bikes have the best tire life?
More a function of the tire than the bike (provided you ride conservatively - no wheelies, stoppies, circle burns :grin:). If you learn to do your own tire changes and balancing, then costs become less of a concern.

Unless you are a dirt poor student with a very tight budget, don't buy the cheapest budget tires.

Some time back I bought budget Kenda Challengers for my 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage. Front tire stated factory size, but was actually larger and rubbed the fender. Even with adjustments to raise the fender, I replaced it early on. Rear tire, got very good mileage due to its hard rubber, but it had very little traction when wet on all road surfaces. Pirelli MT66 Routes that I replaced them with was a much better rain tire with decent mileage and reasonably priced.

With a little looking around and checking feedback comments, you ought to find a suitable compromise price wise and performance wise for the particular bike you settle on.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Like my Pirelli Night Dragons for my Dyna .. Does not get quite the mileage the Michenin Commander II's did but close enough the extra grip especially in the wet in well worth the little sacrifice made in overall Mileage ..

Attachments

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
Night dragons are great tires, very grippy, my wife has those on her Scout, they stick like glue wet or dry. I think she has about 7k miles on them, they are starting to show wear but the performance is worth it. Her daughter has the stock Kendas on her Scout bobber, they are OK when dry but I rode it in the rain one day and those tires are awful, I was sliding all over the place, in my opinion they are borderline dangerous in wet weather.

Like my Pirelli Night Dragons for my Dyna .. Does not get quite the mileage the Michenin Commander II's did but close enough the extra grip especially in the wet in well worth the little sacrifice made in overall Mileage ..

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Night dragons are great tires, very grippy, my wife has those on her Scout, they stick like glue wet or dry. I think she has about 7k miles on them, they are starting to show wear but the performance is worth it. Her daughter has the stock Kendas on her Scout bobber, they are OK when dry but I rode it in the rain one day and those tires are awful, I was sliding all over the place, in my opinion they are borderline dangerous in wet weather.

Being a Former Scout Owner I can tell one of the First things I did was ditch the Kenda Tires .. Got it in Dec so not much in North FL until April and after a couple of good rains went with Michelin Commander II's the first Time and then to Pirelli ND's which like my Dyna prefer a bit better grip as long as can get 10,000 out of the Rear which I did ..

Attachments

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
Thr first years all Scouts came with Kenda tires, not good tires at all. 2018 Scouts came from the factory with Night Dragons, it was a nice surprise when my wife bought hers, they are great tires.

My daughter bought the 2018 Scout bobber, sadly it came with Kenda tires, in special off road look tread that I think are even worse than the originals. She's been riding on them but they really suck especially in the rain, I told her the best thing she could do was to do a nice big burnout and then buy 2 new night dragons..but that's her call.

That bike came with Kenda Tires??? :surprise:

That just ain't right!

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Motorcycle tires, especially the sportier types, traction is the objective and soft, sticky rubber just does not provide very much mileage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts