Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easy to have a carcam setup, but w/ a bike, I imagine that it's so much harder...do you guys even have DC/USB output? For recording your trip, what camera do you use and where do you mount it? Do you have any wires to tuck in? Just looking for ideas.

TIA.

PS: excluding go-pros, etc, that attach to the helmet, just looking for on-bike setups. Thx.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I use an old Drift HD720 camera that is mounted to the top of the front brake reservoir.

It's not the perfect spot, but it's easy to see and use in that position. If I had hydraulic clutch, the left side would make a batter spot for it.

I just run it off the internal battery and with the 32GB card I can record about 2.5 hours of footage (more if I put it in standard definition.) I don't film all the time, just when/if I am on an interesting section of road I will reach up and turn it on.

It takes pretty good video, but there are now much better cameras out there.

I'm researching the Garmin Virb as a possible replacement.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I'll stop and take a few still pictures with my cell phone if there's something I really want a picture of. I've never wanted to take a video of the whole ride though. I have no idea of what I'd even do with that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll stop and take a few still pictures with my cell phone if there's something I really want a picture of. I've never wanted to take a video of the whole ride though. I have no idea of what I'd even do with that.
For insurance purposes in case there's an accident; not really to take a vid of my trip. Just like what I do w/ my carcam.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y'all must have some serious scammers and incompetent cops up there.
Not really, although I believer that Ontario insurance is the most expensive in the country...not sure how compares to the States.

It's more for peace of mind and just tracking what took place during one's trip. 99.9% of the time, it's not worth recording, but you never know that other fraction of the time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use an old Drift HD720 camera that is mounted to the top of the front brake reservoir.

It's not the perfect spot, but it's easy to see and use in that position. If I had hydraulic clutch, the left side would make a batter spot for it.

I just run it off the internal battery and with the 32GB card I can record about 2.5 hours of footage (more if I put it in standard definition.) I don't film all the time, just when/if I am on an interesting section of road I will reach up and turn it on.

It takes pretty good video, but there are now much better cameras out there.

I'm researching the Garmin Virb as a possible replacement.
Was it difficult to hook it up to the battery? You don't leave it on the bike when away, right? I supposed there aren't any 'hidden' cameras that one can leave w/ the bike to keep recording when parked?

Thx, the view looks good.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
My camera has it's own battery, I don't have it hooked into the bike.
The mounting base is adhesive and I have that base stuck on top of the brake reservoir. The actual camera just slides onto the base.
When I am away for the bike, I usually pop it off and stow it in a saddle bag. I have left it on the bike at times, and it has not been messed with as of yet..

Depending on the bike and the camera, there may be ways to mount in a position that is less noticeable and still give a good view for the lens. The problem with my Drift is that the indicator light is small and difficult to see if I mounted it in another spot, making it hard to tell if it is on and recording.

There are other newer designs that are basically on and filming all the time, constantly rewriting the memory card. They only save the data when programmed to. For instance, when the bike is shut off they save the past few minutes. This would effectively let you leave the camera on all the time, and in the event of an accident, you would have a recording of the last few minutes before the incident.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I am in the same place as Eye. I would rather just soak it in than worry about getting it all on film. And in the event of an accident, the last thing I will be worried about is whose fault it is

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I am in the same place as Eye. I would rather just soak it in than worry about getting it all on film. And in the event of an accident, the last thing I will be worried about is whose fault it is
Still how cool would it be to have footage of your recent trip...? With some editing it would be a really cool video and you'd get tons of youtube hits...plus it's something that would never fade and you'd have it forever...

Besides it gives guys like me a thrill who don't get out much.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a Contour Roam2 cam on the side of my bike. I bought that after I was involved in an accident and I don't know how it happened. I'm pretty sure a car suddenly switched lanes in front of me, but as I lost conscience and the last 10 seconds of memory, I don't know. Now, whatever happens, at least I have proof of what happened.
I see lot of idiot drivers out there, sometimes I post some footage of those on a biker forum. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujoCIcGZvs

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I've never wanted anything permanent on my bike(s) - just a JVC helmet cam when I want it.

I have thought of putting permanent dash cameras inside our work vehicles - protect against insurance fraud, etc.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Hawk, I understand what you're saying and agree with you about enjoying the moment, BUT I do think the ability to determine fault post accident has the potential to be VERY important.

(And I still won't be adding a bike-cam :p )

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My camera has it's own battery, I don't have it hooked into the bike.
The mounting base is adhesive and I have that base stuck on top of the brake reservoir. The actual camera just slides onto the base.
When I am away for the bike, I usually pop it off and stow it in a saddle bag. I have left it on the bike at times, and it has not been messed with as of yet..

Depending on the bike and the camera, there may be ways to mount in a position that is less noticeable and still give a good view for the lens. The problem with my Drift is that the indicator light is small and difficult to see if I mounted it in another spot, making it hard to tell if it is on and recording.

There are other newer designs that are basically on and filming all the time, constantly rewriting the memory card. They only save the data when programmed to. For instance, when the bike is shut off they save the past few minutes. This would effectively let you leave the camera on all the time, and in the event of an accident, you would have a recording of the last few minutes before the incident.
Oic. I misread your initial post and thought that you somehow hooked it up to your bike. I guess it's unlikely unless one rides a tourer with dc/usb outputs...if those even exist for bikes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a Contour Roam2 cam on the side of my bike. I bought that after I was involved in an accident and I don't know how it happened. I'm pretty sure a car suddenly switched lanes in front of me, but as I lost conscience and the last 10 seconds of memory, I don't know. Now, whatever happens, at least I have proof of what happened.
I see lot of idiot drivers out there, sometimes I post some footage of those on a biker forum. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujoCIcGZvs
Yup, it could be for peace of mind but also sometimes record interesting events. So far there were some places I'm glad I have recorded..also stuff like near misses for animals running onto the road....skid recovers...etc. It's all good. :icon_cool:

Anyway, hope that you're ok now from your accident.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Still how cool would it be to have footage of your recent trip...? With some editing it would be a really cool video and you'd get tons of youtube hits...plus it's something that would never fade and you'd have it forever...

Besides it gives guys like me a thrill who don't get out much.... :biggrin:
Yeah, l suppose. I am going on an FJ rally here in a couple of weeks, and l will probably see lots of gadgets there. I will ask the guys to show me their toys. The truth is, l don't know if l am retarded or what, but l really learn well visually and l don't understand things well just by being told. So if l can actually see the thing and how it is mounted, how it works, how the little card goes into my computer and all that jazz, then l might use it. Otherwise it will sit unused alongside all the other toys l have that l don't know how to work.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Hawk, I understand what you're saying and agree with you about enjoying the moment, BUT I do think the ability to determine fault post accident has the potential to be VERY important.

(And I still won't be adding a bike-cam :p )
Why? If l am in an accident, l lose. It won't make me feel any better whatsoever if it is the other guy's fault. In fact, it might make me feel worse, because that would mean that there was something l should have been looking for that l didn't see.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts