Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a sport bike, i have been riding for a couple of years but just been using my friends bikes and finally have the money to buy my own. i am not a new rider so not looking to get an intro bike of any sort. i have been looking at cbr's zx6r's yamaha's and suziki's but i really do not know which way to lean in looking for them.. i sat on an r6 today and was really pleased with it but just am not really sure what to buy...

does anyone have any advice or which way to lean in buying my bike....

i would appreciate some feedback, thanks chase

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Most of what I hear in comparing the big 4 is unless you're gonna be taking it to track days often, go with whichever you feel is most comfortable / looks the best.
Of the 600 supersport bikes I personally like the Triumph Daytona 675, but there aren't Triumph dealers everywhere.
Which is another thing to look at, which brand would be easiest for you to get serviced if necessary

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I am in the process of buying a sport bike, i have been riding for a couple of years but just been using my friends bikes and finally have the money to buy my own. i am not a new rider so not looking to get an intro bike of any sort. i have been looking at cbr's zx6r's yamaha's and suziki's but i really do not know which way to lean in looking for them.. i sat on an r6 today and was really pleased with it but just am not really sure what to buy...

does anyone have any advice or which way to lean in buying my bike....

i would appreciate some feedback, thanks chase
Im pretty sure I read a good review of the 600cc supersports in Cycle World not to far back, try scoring a copy at the library. Unless anyone here has ever ridden all 4 on the same day, in the same conditions and noted it....it will just be brand loyalism.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The one that fits best should be the deciding factor. Or the best color. :D

Those are all good bikes, so try them on and see where you can get the best deal.

What was the previous bike you rode? What did you like and dislike about it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one that fits best should be the deciding factor. Or the best color. :D

Those are all good bikes, so try them on and see where you can get the best deal.

What was the previous bike you rode? What did you like and dislike about it?
i have been riding a 01 gsxr 600 and lookwise its not bad, i prefer the pipe underneath the seat and im not a huge fan of the white and blue color scheme, but as far as performance goes i think its great, but i have never ridin anything else so i have nothing to compare it to.

F

·
0 Posts
Ducati dealers will usually let you demo their bikes. Take a twin out for a spin. You'll be amazed at how much usable power is available...that motor is perfect for riding around town and on highways, which will be 99% of of where you ride.

·
2,120 Posts
ive sat on Kawasaki and Honda sportbikes and they both felt great. The Kawasaki 600 is scrupposebly "sport bike of the year".
Thats what that issue of Cycle world came up with. But if you get one you have to get it in Kawi Green, if not you might as well be riding a GSXR.

I ride an R1 and love it, but like Dods said if I was on a ZX10 I would love it too. I'm always loyal to what ever I ride, but come on it's not like I own stock in Yamaha. LOL So with that said if I could go and pic any new bike, I would go with what ever felt most comfortable. Just cause Cycle World says the Ninja is best, that doesn't mean it's going to be best for you. The people that decided that are pros, and they know how to get every little bit of performance out of those machines, so unless your a pro, bike of the year doesn't really mean squat.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The people that decided that are pros, and they know how to get every little bit of performance out of those machines, so unless your a pro, bike of the year doesn't really mean squat.
There are way too many riders on the street that think they are pros. :D Usually once someone has ridden long enough, they find out just how much they don't know yet. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ducati dealers will usually let you demo their bikes. Take a twin out for a spin. You'll be amazed at how much usable power is available...that motor is perfect for riding around town and on highways, which will be 99% of of where you ride.
And if you're looking at Ducs, check the new 796 and PLEASE let me know how it is...

·
Registered
38 Posts
They're all good. comes down to what feels the most comfortable to you, and price ranges.
What he said. Twins (Ducati) tend to have much more usable, low-rev torque, fours (Japanese) tend to spin up easily and have a bit more horsepower, triples (Triumph) sort of split those qualities, with the best of both (I'm prejudiced because I have a Triumph). Also, remember that comfort includes your wallet. Japanese bikes are much more common than European, and parts and maintenance costs consequently lower.

But get a Daytona anyway.

·
track junkie
798 Posts
You can get 675 parts easily enough. It really is an awesome bike, I love mine.

They're actually cheaper than the R6, 600rr, MSRP--but you won't see year-end blow outs on them and see them for 8000 OTD.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Right now, Triumph has a deal going on them, 0 Down payment, 0 payments and 0% interest for 6 months on all 09's and older, or $1500 in accessories. The 2010s are going to be $9,999 so they won't be the cheaper of the 600s anymore, but still worth every penny IMO. I was going to get a Daytona next, but I think I'm goin with the Street Triple, love that hooligan look, and it's the same engine :)

·
track junkie
798 Posts
the ST3's motor has been detuned, or retuned for better midrange. it's not making 126 bhp like the daytonas--something like 108 iirc.

but, to put that into perspective, I was at the track with my modded-to-the-teeth 675 and a mostly stock st3 was making plenty of power and was difficult to pass considering i've got an extra 15 ponies and a good 30 lbs less weigh.

for a street bike, i'd love a st3 or a speed3. such great looking bikes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
are you stuck on the idea of a new bike? I have never bought brand new, but a am partial to older sport touring 1990-2000.
My last fast bike was 1990 zx 10 far more bike than I am rider, stupid fast and very comfortable to ride, easy to work and find parts for. the best thing about buying an older bike, what ever you like to ride, when your ready for a change you can always get your money back out of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts